Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Wish Yuneec Would Improve Range

Reaction score
Evening,

One thing where I feel Yuneec fall far behind DJI is in the usability of their drones in sense of range. My original Typhoon H was poor is relation to video signal and telementry and normally would start having an issue around 200-250m away.

When I upgraded to the Plus I was hoping for an improved range but to be honest it wasn't much greater. I updated my antenna to the Raptor SR and perhaps gained another 50m but the lack of being able to fly beyond this and plot decent CCC missions is getting very frustrating and has me cancelling the mission half way through and hitting RTH as the drone becomes unusable and in can be difficult to orinteer the drone by eye. I am now thinking of going back to DJI and investing in an Inspire to gain the range and more reliable flying mannerisms..

Rant Over

Steve

Steve,

Sorry to hear of the issues with YOUR H480.

The reason I state my sentiment that way is because I am making a safe bet your situation is in the vast minority. Yes, we have seen previous posts with similar complaints. However, there are also plenty of posted of people bragging how far they flew away from their controller. Beyond line of sight, for some.

The point is, most of us get at between 1000' and 2000' before experiencing any video dropout. Beyond that, its tough to see the aircraft itself.

I will not open (again) the debate about VLOS and BVLOS. Rather, I am hopeful some of the experts here will chime in and perhaps offer some suggestions as to figuring out why the limited distance your kit is experiencing.

Will keep checking in...

Jeff

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Steve,

Sorry to hear of the issues with YOUR H480.

The reason I state my sentiment that way is because I am making a safe bet your situation is in the vast minority. Yes, we have seen previous posts with similar complaints. However, there are also plenty of posted of people bragging how far they flew away from their controller. Beyond line of sight, for some.

The point is, most of us get at between 1000' and 2000' before experiencing any video dropout. Beyond that, its tough to see the aircraft itself.

I will not open (again) the debate about VLOS and BVLOS. Rather, I am hopeful some of the experts here will chime in and perhaps offer some suggestions as to figuring out why the limited distance your kit is experiencing.

Will keep checking in...

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, would love to gt to 500m with no dropout !

Using the flat directional antenna has helped me, but 4hawks has proved the best, not going beyond visual sight, if your in US you have more power anyway, eu firmware power is less and can cause problems with connection etc.

Hi

I am in the UK as well, I guess it just something I will have to put up with or adapt to

Steve

4hawks was a dramatic upgrade better range and stable video, it's worth the money.

Evening,

One thing where I feel Yuneec fall far behind DJI is in the usability of their drones in sense of range. My original Typhoon H was poor is relation to video signal and telementry and normally would start having an issue around 200-250 m away.

When I upgraded to the Plus I was hoping for an improved range but to be honest it wasn't much greater. I updated my antenna to the Raptor SR and perhaps gained another 50m but the lack of being able to fly beyond this and plot decent CCC missions is getting very frustrating and has me cancelling the mission half way through and hitting RTH as the drone becomes unusable and in can be difficult to orinteer the drone by eye. I am now thinking of going back to DJI and investing in an Inspire to gain the range and more reliable flying mannerisms..

Rant Over

Steve

Steve,

Since you had a 480 and now a Plus, that can only get 200 - 250 meters (650 + feet) before signal loss; I am going to say I suspect this may be one (or more) things culminating in the very poor distance. I had a 480, and still have a Plus that I regularly would be able to go out past 1500 feet (450 meters) with zero video or signal loss, I suspect I could go much further but I always keep my aircraft in sight.

Over the years reading this forum however, we've seen enough distance reports to sort of get an idea of just how far a Typhoon H will go before the WiFi reaches it's limits and the number is much higher - out past 2500 feet (762 meters) is typical and we've seen some get out to a mile or around 1600 meters.

We know the output of the EU rated Typhoons do not have the same signal strength as US models, so that's one point. We also know that some 'environments' - speaking specifically about the electronic and WiFi crowded areas such as densely populated cities; can cause a degrading of signal at distance, but there have also been times when a weak signal was caused by either a damaged component in the transmission circuitry (turning on the controller without antennas attached), OR a weakened signal due to the antennas not being fully seated due to a washer the keep the antenna from having a solid connection with the base.

Do (or could) any of these apply to your situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Irish
Thanks for the replies, I will try the washer trick with my 4hawks receiver as soon as this 30mph wind drops !

HI,
I also wish yuneec improved range and video stability.
Is this an attempt to reach this...?

Regards,
Paw

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200517_090319.jpg
    Screenshot_20200517_090319.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 25
I do agree some, but i dont mind the distance.. i can get the 1000meters in openfields if i want to, however usually i dont fly that far so i dont need that range, what i find to be anoying is the weak signal, i like to fly in woodland areas and its there i dont trust my H+, its verry hard to circle a tree without losing signal no mather the antanna (not speaking about 4hawk) this is something that i wish they did improve.
Evening,

One thing where I feel Yuneec fall far behind DJI is in the usability of their drones in sense of range. My original Typhoon H was poor is relation to video signal and telementry and normally would start having an issue around 200-250m away.

Rant Over

Steve

Reactions: Steve0510
HI,
I also wish yuneec improved range and video stability.
Is this an attempt to reach this...?

Regards,
Paw
It would help if you had more than a lo-res photo. I am guessing this could be from a company that offers an LTE extension for the H520. With their extension you can fly BVLOS.

I've been thinking of adding the 4hawks antenna to my H Plus. I was also thinking of adding the antennas that I removed from the tranny to the HPlus. What I was wondering can I just solder the original antenna leads to the new antenna sockets. I am assuming this would give me much better signal stability and range?
Regards ?‍♂️.
Mike

Last edited:
It would help if you had more than a lo-res photo. I am guessing this could be from a company that offers an LTE extension for the H520. With their extension you can fly BVLOS.
hi, I have found hardly more than that:

Attachments

• Yuneec_long_range.jpg
    Yuneec_long_range.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 17
How far is everyone trying to fly, if your in US you have more video power anyway, hopefully no-one turned their controllers on without antennas fitted, and partially damaged the 2.4 output, I'm on weaker power firmware and never really experience the video problem.

Do you also fly other drones? Because if you compare the H+ next to any other dji drone its a big diffrence as far as signal strength goes. Like a said early its good as long as it is in a open plain but to me that does not mean you have a good signal strength, my €20 allibaba drone can do that.. its like when i like to fly a orbit around a single tree in a open field at low alt and the signal gets very bad i get disapointed by my h+ signal strength. Its not a major ploblem for me and in no way a reason for me to sell my H+, but i would not mind a software update to boost the strenght a bit.

How far is everyone trying to fly, if your in US you have more video power anyway, hopefully no-one turned their controllers on without antennas fitted, and partially damaged the 2.4 output, I'm on weaker power firmware and never really experience the video problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trienchieu369