Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Q500 battery

I have the charge bags but haven't conducted my own experiments such as Satellite View stated, I am in the process of doing just what he did for my own conclusions.

Hi all and thanks, pownalite, thank you for your comments and yes I will go against manufacturers (who do not always get it right) IF I am sure of my facts and I think you would agree that there is nothing like first hand experience. I have attached a photo of my charger you can check them out on the web at EV-PEAK. Also something I forgot to mention before which may be a reason
I have good success charging I only balance charge and that is all the E4 - ecube charger does. I was told a while back by a champion R/C Model car racer that he has got batteries which are 5years old and still going strong and he puts that down to balance charging only.
As I keep my batteries in the house (so they are in a air conditioned room as it can get up to 42c here in Sydney) I keep them in a .50cal Amo Case so I can just pick it up and to the field this way I don't need to worry about safety.
Cheers, JV

Attachments

• EV-PEAK Charger.JPG
    EV-PEAK Charger.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 13
That makes perfect sense.[/QUO
Hi rydfree, thank you for your comments.
I have tested many chargers and meters to get the best type and I have also done all the things
you mentioned but it comes down to the chemical reaction and stability and I never run them down.
Some comments are that you should NOT leave batteries fully charged and others say YES leave
them fully charged, so I did some testing of my own and fully charged ( all cells at 99% ) and left
them at room temperature for 3 months without touching them only to check the voltage once a
month and check for bulging and the results are NO voltage loss and NO bulging (thickness
measured every month). I took the same procedure with 2 other batteries but charged at 50% and
after the first month there was a 2 volt power loss and both started to expand slightly) so my
conclusion is that it is best to leave them charged at 99% so there can be no chemical reaction
as the chemicals are fully utilised
Someone might comment that it is wrong to leave them fully charged but from my point of view
I would rather have them ready to go and not buldge and pay the price for reduced life span of the
battery.
I also think that there is great uncertainty and unkown factors about Lipo batteries.
Cheers, JV
hi- thanks for the info about the .50 caliber box for storage. i just ordered one on ebay. the best deal i found for a "new" one is Green Metal Military Ammo Can - .50 Cal. M2A1

thanks for the helpful info from the land down under!
carl

i discovered a very nice .50 cal ammo box on ebay (thank you to the forum member (satellite view) from australia for suggesting this option). the lowest price .50 cal ammo box, new, extremely high quality and superfast 3 day shipping! am very glad i purchased this to safely store my lipos.
Green Metal Military Ammo Can - .50 Cal. M2A1

and lipo-bags lipo-bags lipo-bags....

My batts are always always in fire safe lipo-bags. I would never take one in my vehicle or keep them in house without the bag. These things are a major Roman Candle waiting to go off. A hard crash, over-discarge, rapid charging beyond the recommended C rating...... All these things can be contributing factors to battery puffing. I don't know how many people on this forum come from the scratch building DIYing world, but generally, when a battery "puffs-up" it's time to get rid of it. I've tossed brand new batteries after an accidental over-discharge or a HARD crash even if it was the batteries maiden flight.

Don't kid yourself about the dangers of these things. Ignorance is not bliss when dealing with lipos.

Cheers
Stew

Hi All, can someone tell me why my batteries are starting to bulge a little.
At this stage I am not concerned but would like to know if I am doing something wrong.
I have about 10 of them and they are all doing it to some extent, they are all new with the total charge each about
7 times.
I fully charge before flight and once used leave them with about 40% left until the next time I charge again.
Thanks appreciate any advice.
Cheers
Hi Satelite view normally when they start to swell they are on there way out I mentioned earlier I fully charge mine and put them in a fridge. I have been doing it with other UVA batteries before the Q500 and had no troubles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements