Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Zoom feature example in the Covid 19 world

Reaction score
I’ve read over and over again about the worthlessness of the zoom feature however I finally was able to put it to good use in the covid-19 world.

My beautiful niece graduated on Sunday and unfortunately it was an unconventional graduation ceremony in this era of Covid. Attendance was only allowed with the mother, father and the graduate, with strict social distancing on the field. No other spectators were even allowed on the school property, which was also strictly enforced. Well, not to be deterred, my wife and I hiked 2 miles through the woods (f-you mavic users, the big typhoon can travel and get the job done with its backpack) to get to a backside fence just outside the football field and I launched my drone (which virtually everyone heard). I used the 8 times zoom feature and videoed her getting diploma.

Although my video isn’t crystal clear, the moments jerky (we were dodging police officers around the perimeter), the pictures were hazy and from different camera phones from my sister-in-law and brother, and the movie with pics is a bit sloppy; I was able to capture a very important memory for my family which I wouldn’t have otherwise gotten without the zoom feature. The first few opening shots were done with regular 1x video and the rest with 8x and clearly she would have been unrecognizable at 1x.

So the morale to my story is simply that in spite of all the anti-zoomers (is that a word?) and all the “zoom feature is useless” people, it was put to good use. I like the pic of my wife and I behind the chain link fence posing with my niece, I believe it encapsulates the Covid-19 era perfectly.

Stay strong zoom users, there’s room in the world for us after all!

Last edited:
I’ve read over and over again about the worthlessness of the zoom feature however I finally was able to put it to good use in the covid-19 world.

My beautiful niece graduated on Sunday and unfortunately it was an unconventional graduation ceremony in this era of Covid. Attendance was only allowed with the mother, father and the graduate, with strict social distancing on the field. No other spectators were even allowed on the school property, which was also strictly enforced. Well, not to be deterred, my wife and I hiked 2 miles through the woods (f-you mavic users, the big typhoon can travel and get the job done with its backpack) to get to a backside fence just outside the football field and I launched my drone (which virtually everyone heard). I used the 8 times zoom feature and videoed her getting diploma.

Although my video isn’t crystal clear, the moments jerky (we were dodging police officers around the perimeter), the pictures were hazy and from different camera phones from my sister-in-law and brother, and the movie with pics is a bit sloppy; I was able to capture a very important memory for my family which I wouldn’t have otherwise gotten without the zoom feature. The first few opening shots were done with regular 1x video and the rest with 8x and clearly she would have been unrecognizable at 1x.

So the morale to my story is simply that in spite of all the anti-zoomers (is that a word?) and all the “zoom feature is useless” people, it was put to good use. I like the pic of my wife and I behind the chain link fence posing with my niece, I believe it encapsulates the Covid-19 era perfectly.

If you were the dad doing this, you would be called.....wait for it......."papa"razzi....hahaha!

Reactions: Rubik
If recording with the H, set to 4K and zoom in post. 4X still gives 1080p, and 8X with some sharpening looks pretty good.

Reactions: Murray Martz
My post processing skills are virtually zero at best.
I'm using the free version of NCH Video Pad. After a year I'm still learning.
My surgery should be healed in a few weeks then I plan to fly, record and edit a zoom example.

Reactions: Murray Martz
I'm using the free version of NCH Video Pad. After a year I'm still learning.
My surgery should be healed in a few weeks then I plan to fly, record and edit a zoom example.

I have a subscription to that editor as well $3 a month I think), still learning it.

In case you haven't seen this one yet.

I ellayed around with the zoom but only in sections of different videos I would be piecing together. I never liked the quality of the section zoomed in on. Not sure if it would be clearer than just using the 8x zoom like I did for the ceremony.

Plus, I think you’re missing the point of my original post...in that, during this crazy Covid-19 era there are at least some uses for the zoom feature when you really just want to focus on the subject and shoot with relative ease.

. . . . . . Well, not to be deterred, my wife and I hiked 2 miles through the woods (f-you mavic users, the big typhoon can travel and get the job done with its backpack)

? ? ? ? ? ?

SOME . . . . . Mavic (also) users;) fly by the rules, AKA VLOS - but yeah - many Mavic pilots woulda just flown the two miles from inside their house. :rolleyes: ?

Nice job on the video BTW and congrats on the graduation.

[emoji848] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

SOME . . . . . Mavic (also) users;) fly by the rules, AKA VLOS - but yeah - many Mavic pilots woulda just flown the two miles from inside their house. :rolleyes: [emoji38]

Nice job on the video BTW and congrats on the graduation.

“Woulda just flown the two miles”. Lol.

Thanks for the kind words Ty, even though video was somewhat sloppily thrown together, it’s a cool memory for my niece. Plus, she’s the only one with video of her ceremony from that angle, as no other people were stupid (or smart) enough to do what we did. Ha.

I happen to like the zoom. The 8X is a bit much, but the 2X and 4X is useful for me.

It’s funny because that was my first time using it and after reading the forums for a long while I had the feeling that it was absolutely worthless (it’s no secret that the zoom gets no love) but I was actually pleasantly surprised. I may have had really low expectations though..but yeah, the 8x is a bit much but I think the 4x could be very useful. As been mentioned by a lot of people on here, it would be a lot more useful if you could zoom while actually filming at the same time. That said, I don’t think zooming in and out while filming would make for great video.

Nice, II had used it in that polo video I posted, same results as yours ? I had posted awhile back that it was useless, as only looking at the picture on the controller never recording is why I made that statement ? It seems its better when viewing on the computer, and making a video post production, I'll use it in todays flight at purgatory chasm in middletown R.I. after my grandsons T-ball game where I'll be using the steady grip with th cgo 3+

If recording with the H, set to 4K and zoom in post. 4X still gives 1080p, and 8X with some sharpening looks pretty good.
Are you sure about that? 4K is 4 times the area of 1080p but only 2 times the dimensions (width and height). I think 2x zoom in post would be loss-less 4K to 1080. 4x would probably still look pretty good and 8x usable as seen in the graduation video.

Are you sure about that? 4K is 4 times the area of 1080p but only 2 times the dimensions (width and height). I think 2x zoom in post would be loss-less 4K to 1080. 4x would probably still look pretty good and 8x usable as seen in the graduation video.
When my surgery heals, my next mission will be to check out the zoom extremes.

Reactions: johnnyb57

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz