Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best way to charge ST16 battery externally

I did set it for
Lithium Ion
I don't know why I am getting the Error Message
I will play more tomorrow
with it.
Thanks Keith

I am under the impression
The battery can only be charged to 3.6 V because
Thats what is written
On the battery.
Or Am I wrong ?

Keith, batteries are rated at their nominal voltage, not their peak. For instance; a car battery is rated at 12 volts but, when the car is running and everything is normal it will have of around 14 volts. Typhoon H flight packs - same thing; they're rate at 14.8 but fully charged they are around 16.8 volts These packs are four cells so divide that number by 4 and you get 4.2 volts.

The ST-16 battery is a single cell Lithium-Ion pack (rated) at 3.7 volts but as DoomMeister notes; it will peak at around 4.2 volts - this is normal.

For what it is worth - when I charged my ST-16 batteries externally, my charger did not have a setting in the Li-Ion category to allow for a single cell (1S) so, I simply put the charger into Li-Po, selected 1S for single cell, set the charge rate at around six amps (it is an 8700 Mah pack) and it charged perfectly every time.

Is this in the right thread? I thought we were talking different ways to charge?

Someone mentioned losing the time date formatting when removing the controller battery. It’s been a couple days and thought it was this thread. Of course, I could scroll up and verify...

Edit:

Yep, it was Mr. Carr in post number 3. I’m fully aware Steve already knows what I’m referring to but I posted the info anyway for those that might not. I frequently post to share info to the general population instead of targeting a specific individual.

If that bothers anyone just say the word and I’ll stop.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned losing the time date formatting when removing the controller battery. It’s been a couple days and thought it was this thread. Of course, I could scroll up and verify...

Edit:

Yep, it was Mr. Carr in post number 3. I’m fully aware Steve already knows what I’m referring to but I posted the info anyway for those that might not. I frequently post to share info to the general population instead of targeting a specific individual.

If that bothers anyone just say the word and I’ll stop.
I didn't realise it went back to 2018. Keith posted a comment and it came up again. Not really a downside for me, lots of things need time changing etc. You guys in US have Daylight saving, clocks go forward and backwards twice a year?

Keith, batteries are rated at their nominal voltage, not their peak. For instance; a car battery is rated at 12 volts but, when the car is running and everything is normal it will have of around 14 volts. Typhoon H flight packs - same thing; they're rate at 14.8 but fully charged they are around 16.8 volts These packs are four cells so divide that number by 4 and you get 4.2 volts.

The ST-16 battery is a single cell Lithium-Ion pack (rated) at 3.7 volts but as DoomMeister notes; it will peak at around 4.2 volts - this is normal.

For what it is worth - when I charged my ST-16 batteries externally, my charger did not have a setting in the Li-Ion category to allow for a single cell (1S) so, I simply put the charger into Li-Po, selected 1S for single cell, set the charge rate at around six amps (it is an 8700 Mah pack) and it charged perfectly every time.

Thank you so much.
I will give this a shot.
Keith Kuhn

I didn't realise it went back to 2018. Keith posted a comment and it came up again. Not really a downside for me, lots of things need time changing etc. You guys in US have Daylight saving, clocks go forward and backwards twice a year?

Not all states do it, but most do. Spring and Fall have the time shifted forward or back 1 hour.

Thank you so much.
I will give this a shot.
Keith Kuhn
I only ever charge a YP2 externally as the extra spare I take with me just in case, the internal one I keep fully charged, when I get back from flying I fully charge again, then you don't have the problem of running down and keeping an eye on it, obviously you'll need to swap to spare if needed and lose the settings, but a spare is good insurance.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN

OMG
It works perfectly.
Thanks so

much

Thanks you HEXY PILOT
It is charging as I am texting you.
Now I will see if my
Duo t240 charger beeps
when it is done.
It is at 4.17 now.
I will be in touch.
Keith

Reactions: PatR and Ty Pilot
OMG
It works perfectly.
Thanks so

much

Thanks you HEXY PILOT
It is charging as I am texting you.
Now I will see if my
Duo t240 charger beeps
when it is done.
It is at 4.17 now.
I will be in touch.
Keith
I have the C240Duo which is the manual version of the T240. You can get the same thing using the LiIo setting and leave the LiPo settings for your 4S aircraft batteries.

Bullet or banana? There were links to the correct one on Amazon etc.

I just posted a video on
YouTube
Go to
KK Motion Pictures
Drone Battery
Look at link in the description for proper
Cables
Thanks Keith Kuhn

I found the correct adapter
On eBay. I can't think of
the proper name. But
It has 2 bullet connectors
and the other connector
that goes to the St16
Battery.
So you have banana plugs.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200207-191222.png
    Screenshot_20200207-191222.png
    704 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200207-191251.png
    Screenshot_20200207-191251.png
    867.9 KB · Views: 6
I have the C240Duo which is the manual version of the T240. You can get the same thing using the LiIo setting and leave the LiPo settings for your 4S aircraft batteries.

Thanks Doom
All you guys are a true Blessing. I tried it your
way and it works great.
It only seem to charge to
97percent though.
Keith Kuhn

Thanks Doom
way and it works great.
97percent though.
Keith Kuhn
What does it say when you put it back in the controller?

What does it say when you put it back in the controller?

95 to 97 percent full.

I just put it back on the
Stock charger, to make it go to the full battery
indicator.
When it gets done charging I will turn the
Controller on to see if
It reads 100 percent.

Thanks Doom
way and it works great.
97percent though.
Keith Kuhn
Check the settings and make sure the charge voltage for LiIo is set to 4.2 V (4200mV) and discharge voltage no lower than 3.2V (3200mV).

95 to 97 percent full.

I just put it back on the
Stock charger, to make it go to the full battery
indicator.
When it gets done charging I will turn the
Controller on to see if
It reads 100 percent.
This has been been discussed before, some including myself have charged to full and the boot up/start up has dropped the battery percentage a couple of percent.

Check the settings and make sure the charge voltage for LiIo is set to 4.2 V (4200mV) and discharge voltage no lower than 3.2V (3200mV).

My Lilo is done charging
On the controller.
The battery indicator shows full.
It now shows 100 percent
On the controller.
I will make sure of those settings,like you said.
Keith

My Lilo is done charging
On the controller.
The battery indicator shows full.
It now shows 100 percent
On the controller.
I will make sure of those settings,like you said.
Keith
A lot of chargers can store your settings, so hopefully yours does?, it makes it easier when switching between different types etc.

This has been been discussed before, some including myself have charged to full and the boot up/start up has dropped the battery percentage a couple of percent.

I just let Doom know I
Completed the charge on my stock controller and
It went to 100 percent
When I turned the controller on.
Keith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babyyodajede