Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO-ET - Image editing

These articles mention Flir cameras. I need to know if the CGO-ET would work to do these inspections. From what I have read the ET is only 160x120 resolution where the Flir goes up to 640. Also I read that you could not create a report from the ET. Anyone able to shed any light on this??

These articles mention Flir cameras. I need to know if the CGO-ET would work to do these inspections. From what I have read the ET is only 160x120 resolution where the Flir goes up to 640. Also I read that you could not create a report from the ET. Anyone able to shed any light on this??

At lot depends on which Flir you buy - they range from lower resolution than the CGO-ET to quite a bit higher (for a lot more money :) ). Flir's business model is to sell you the (high end) camera and then get you to pay for software services like reports and so on, so it's quite an expensive ecosystem to buy into. To protect their business, Flir keep a lot of this stuff secret, so it's a challenge to figure out some of the technology.

The sensor in the CGO-ET is quite possibly a Flir under the hood (I've not been able to confirm) and it produces quite a lot of information. From the images created on the image editor, I can see the response curve for the measurements, but it looks like it can vary - possibly due to different configuration, possibly due to different ambient temperature, possibly from camera to camera. So without some more thorough research it's difficult to provide tools that would match the accuracy of the high end equipment.

However, a lot depends on the sort of report you want to generate. The solar inspection reports are looking for 'hotspots' rather than accurate temperature values. Flir recommend using a camera with sensitivity less than 80mK, which the CGO-ET easily achieves (it's 50 mK). The resolution needs to be good enough to pick out individual cells in the panel - but the solution here is just to fly closer! Based on that, I think it would be possible to use the CGO-ET for solar inspection reports...

The big question is how easy it is. The high end systems automate much of the process, so you go to a site with a pre-planned flightpath, generate the images and then the system creates a report for you. You pay (a lot!) for all the software that makes your job easy. To my knowledge, no-one has written a solar inspection tool specifically for the Typhoon/CGO-ET, so you would have to do a bit more by hand. UAV Toolbox would help for mission planning, but in terms of collating the report afterwards, you'd have to do much of the work yourself. I'd like to write the appropriate software, but it would not be a cheap exercise and until Yuneec make their intentions with the commercial models clear, it's hard to justify the investment.

Reactions: kai_bcn
@Tuna

I would love to find out that the ET has a flir under the hood! I just got into drones this past Jan. In doing so I became intrigued with the world of Infrared. So much so that I took a course and became a level 1 thermographer. I want to get into Roof, Solar, and Cell Tower inspections. Right now I have a Flir E60bx. This is great for building inspections, but not taking me to where I want to go. The ET has the Thermal and Visible combined into one unit which is great. My only concern was the resolution. If I can get good enough resolution, I'm all in for it. To this point my drones have all been DJI. I am waiting for the h520. I want to couple this with the et. I'm just getting itchy as I wait.
I appreciate your replies, and the other posts you have here. I have learned most of my Yuneec info from reading many of your posts.

Reactions: Tuna
When I was first evaluating the TH last December, I did a couple flights with an ET in the mountains where I live, which had plenty of snow. I still have all the logs, images and videos from those flights. Would they be of any help?

When I was first evaluating the TH last December, I did a couple flights with an ET in the mountains where I live, which had plenty of snow. I still have all the logs, images and videos from those flights. Would they be of any help?

Absolutely! If you could upload a handful of the images to the tool, it'll add to my understanding - I presume you were running in a pretty low ambient temperature.

Absolutely! If you could upload a handful of the images to the tool, it'll add to my understanding - I presume you were running in a pretty low ambient temperature.

As I remember it, the ambient was about 25 F. I'll pull my SD card later and push some to you. Feel free to DM me and I can send you my skype to chat on them if you need.

Reactions: Tuna
thermal39.png

thermal59.png

Horses on CGO-ET

Spanish horses, huh.
In the lower pic, the horse in the background is quite blue. Cold horse, or ??:)

Reactions: kai_bcn
Has anyone been able to get the thermal stream showing on VLC? I want to use this with a custom wrote OpenCV application. Also, hows the ability to detect individual's at 200 ft, Is it feasible?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers