Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Control with ST16 but follow the Wizard

Reaction score
The manual doesn't say this is possible but wondering if anyone found a workaround.
I want to control flight and camera with the ST16 but I want it to look at the Wizard.
I'd just like to Wizard to be what the camera is looking for not the ST16. Problem is when using the Wizard and ST16 the Wizard controls the H and the ST16 only controls the camera. I don't want to control the bird with the Wizard, awkward. I'd like the camera to look at the GPS location of the Wizard but I'd like to control the camera pan/tilt and the flight w/ST16.

It isnt possible at this time. Hopefully will be added in a fw update. You can have it follow and or watchme to the wizard. Or do team mode with control from wizard and camera control on st16

They would have gotten it right had they retained flight control with the 16 and put camera control at the Wizard.

I have 2 Wizards and not used either of them because of that.

I want to control flight and camera with the ST16 but I want it to look at the Wizard.

HMM...so the Wizard is moving and you want the camera aimed at it. You know the Wizard has a reduced transmission range, right?
So the PIC flies the TH one way and the Wizard person is going a different direction...

I'm kinda dense (and old), but what is wrong with the TH watching the Wizard, as it will, from a safe distance, and controlling the camera from the ST16? Help me understand what you need to accomplish.

HMM...so the Wizard is moving and you want the camera aimed at it. You know the Wizard has a reduced transmission range, right?
So the PIC flies the TH one way and the Wizard person is going a different direction...

I'm kinda dense (and old), but what is wrong with the TH watching the Wizard, as it will, from a safe distance, and controlling the camera from the ST16? Help me understand what you need to accomplish.
Just trying to find a use for the Wizard. The watch me and follow me doesn't keep a very good composition in frame and I'd like the Wizard to say here I am, but I want to have more precise control using the ST16 for better compositions in my frame when the subject (Wizard) gets a little off in my shots.
What if, while the H is following the Wizard (and subject) I decide I want my shot from higher up or lower to the ground. The only way to make this happen is for someone that most likely doesn't know how the Wizard works to fly it to where I want it. How do I tell the subject of the shot, what altitude to put it at? I like control of my shots. I guess I could buy some radios and the subject could hold the radio for my direction. That could be a workaround. However, It's a lot more coordination when I decide on a change than just me just doing the change instantly.

Last edited:
Hey, RR, I see Typhoon Charlie has an ST16 for sale.:):)
I already have an ST10+ which I got for cheap. At one point, Yuneec said this would be possible. Still waiting.
I do understand the desire to have the H follow and watch the wizard, but have the ability to be controlled by the ST16. For example, When we are kayaking or rafting on BIG whitewater, it would be great to give the wizard to one of the group and have the H follow them down through some rapids, while you watch and have the ability to take over control with the ST16. The operator with the wizard will be too busy and have the H behind them. The wizard would be in the waterproof bag, so hard to get to quickly if there is a problem. It would be difficult to land the H on a raft or kayak moving down the river, but an operator on the bank with the ST16 could bring it back to shore and land it safely.

I already have an ST10+ which I got for cheap. At one point, Yuneec said this would be possible. Still waiting.
I do understand the desire to have the H follow and watch the wizard, but have the ability to be controlled by the ST16. For example, When we are kayaking or rafting on BIG whitewater, it would be great to give the wizard to one of the group and have the H follow them down through some rapids, while you watch and have the ability to take over control with the ST16. The operator with the wizard will be too busy and have the H behind them. The wizard would be in the waterproof bag, so hard to get to quickly if there is a problem. It would be difficult to land the H on a raft or kayak moving down the river, but an operator on the bank with the ST16 could bring it back to shore and land it safely.
There you go. That's a great reason for what I'd like to accomplish. I'm the cinematographer. Never once has my subject been a cinematographer. I want all control since I'm the only one responsible for what I capture. I'm just looking for control because I'm the one to blame for bad shots/compositions.

Yeh, exactly what I'd like the H to have.

It isnt possible at this time. Hopefully will be added in a fw update. You can have it follow and or watchme to the wizard. Or do team mode with control from wizard and camera control on st16
I tested this last summer/fall (2016):
when in ST16 team mode the Wizard only functioned as "follow me". Although the default green LED on the Wizard indicates "watch me", the YTH behaved as being switched to yellow LED "follow me" mode. This way switching between green "watch me" and yellow "follow me" mode made no difference. (The camera does not center automatically (pan/tilt) towards the Wizard position.)
"Watch me" and "Follow me" using the wizard only (not using team mode) functions as it should.
I did not test it with the later YTH FW updates since then...
(The Wizard FW is still the same though: wizard_v3.0_2016_7_25.yuneec)

Hello, it's me again...
Tried yesterday everything with the actual FWs (YTH FW 3.04, wizard_v3.0_2016_7_25.yuneec):
"Watch Me" only works when using the wizard only. "Watch Me" does not work in "Team Mode". The "Watch Me" option is greyed out on the ST16 and on the Wizard the green "Watch Me" mode works like the yellow "Follow Me" mode - no difference when switching between them: the camera won't center the Wizard position....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy