Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Correct me if I'm wrong about realsense ?

Wait until the production models hit the market and the video reviews/demos come out. If at that time it fits your needs, then go for it.

To be honest,, it was the realsense that sold me and I chose Yuneec instead of DJI due to the videos and customer service. I went ahead and bought the H because they showed it as an add on at a reasonable price So I thought I'd just get used to the tech now and add the COOL AZZ realsense. Looks like that didn't work out.... Kinda feel baited a little ,,, you know... I hope it works as good as the videos..

Wait until the production models hit the market and the video reviews/demos come out. If at that time it fits your needs, then go for it.
Ok Captain....let me ask because I didn't read a clear understanding of this in a previous question. Does the drone automatically rotate to position the Realsense field of view in the direction of movement? Does the camera rotate separately to drone rotation, to keep the subject in the camera field of view in follow me mode when the Realsense mode is active? Thanks...

Ok Captain....let me ask because I didn't read a clear understanding of this in a previous question. Does the drone automatically rotate to position the Realsense field of view in the direction of movement? Does the camera rotate separately to drone rotation, to keep the subject in the camera field of view in follow me mode when the Realsense mode is active? Thanks...
Yes, If you set the Pan Switch to the correct position(Follow Mode) points the camera forward in the direction you fly it

I'm not sure I understand your question. The realsense does not keep turning towards objects automatically if that is what you're asking. Remember... you are the pilot. You're the one flying, steering, rotating the drone. Ref the camera, in follow me mode, it should operate as it currently does in follow me mode.

That was my question,,, in the video the H can see 360 degrees and avoids the post even with the realsense pointed away from it. So is it the memory of the post that is guiding the H? My H does not rotate the body when in watch me mode. It rotates the camera. I'm assuming the H rotates the body only when the Gimbal is to slow to keep the subject in frame. If this is true then the realsense will not avoid obstacles unless your moving so fast that the H needs to rotate. I'm not bashing the H or realsense. I just can't seem to settle on the whole video and true life operation. Makes me think maybe this realsense is not what people are going to expect. I'm interested in seeing this work outside of a controlled environment. Like I said... I bet it doesn't work nothing like the Video....
I don't think that RealSense can see 360 degrees. It only sees forward but has a rather wide angle (can't remember if it is 150 degrees). So with RealSense the H must be facing and flying forward within the angle of vision to avoid collisions and to fly around obstacles.

And point forward the direction you are flying, thus real sense will only sense objects forward in the direction you fly/pan/turn going forward

Yes, If you set the Pan Switch to the correct position(Follow Mode) points the camera forward in the direction you fly it
I'm not trying to be argumentative DroneClone...but that's not the question I asked....or if it was let me clarify it. Follow Mode the drone follows the controller or wizard yes? In Watch Me Mode the camera follows the subject regardless of drone direction...yes? So for the Realsense mode to function as presented, the Realsense field of view should always be pointed in the direction of movement to map the advancing surroundings for active obstacle avoidance. Since the Realsense FOV is positioned stationary at the front of the drone, the drone itself would need to rotate or turn as the intended direction changes. The camera should then rotate and pan independently to keep the target subject in FOV as the drone maneuvers independently under control of the Realsense programming....yes? That's the essence of my question....the relationship between autonomous movement of the drone and the camera independently under Realsense programming in various Follow Me/Watch Me modes. Thanks...

Understood, but No, The drone in either mode will be flying in a forward direction and only sense forward objects, the real sense operates of it's own intel camera, not the H camera, and it is always mounted facing forward and does not turn, if that helps you?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The realsense does not keep turning towards objects automatically if that is what you're asking. Remember... you are the pilot. You're the one flying, steering, rotating the drone. Ref the camera, in follow me mode, it should operate as it currently does in follow me mode.
The demo video from Europe clearly shows that the drone move only in the general direction the operator inputs while the Realsense mode is active. The RS programming is controlling the side to side and up/down movements according to his comments. He said it was a very unnatural/detached sense of control. If that's true then the intended direction is followed by RS keeping the forward FOV pointed in that direction. The camera should act independently to keep the target subject in FOV should it not?

I don't think that RealSense can see 360 degrees. It only sees forward but has a rather wide angle (can't remember if it is 150 degrees). So with RealSense the H must be facing and flying forward within the angle of vision to avoid collisions and to fly around obstacles.
If there is something above the drone and realsense causes it to suddenly rise to avoid an object it will then make contact with the object above. If it desends to avoid an object it may fair better due to the IPS module.

The demo video from Europe clearly shows that the drone move only in the general direction the operator inputs while the Realsense mode is active. The RS programming is controlling the side to side and up/down movements according to his comments. He said it was a very unnatural/detached sense of control. If that's true then the intended direction is followed by RS keeping the forward FOV pointed in that direction. The camera should act independently to keep the target subject in FOV should it not?
The drone did not have packing foam balls on it. That video was deceiving, I am sorry to say! Those white balls are add on sensors and helped it to fly in many directions, avoiding objects! To really know how it works, we will have to own and fly one with real sense , time will reveal!

Reactions: Simspeed
Understood, but No, The drone in either mode will be flying in a forward direction and only sense forward objects, the real sense operates of it's own intel camera, not the H camera, and it is always mounted facing forward and does not turn, if that helps you?
Reasonable DC....but since I'm not aware of how the RS controls flight when active, I have to assume it does not allow the drone to fly in any direction other than the direction the front of the drone (where the RS sensor is positioned) is pointed to function as described. That means the drone turns or rotates to maintain the RS sensor pointed in the direction of intended flight. If that direction changes because of RS avoidance programming the TH may fly a path for some unknown distance or time other than the path of the intended target. The H camera FOV must then stay centered on the target for the video to be useful. Is the RS FOV truly independent of H camera FOV when flying in RS mode? Thanks....

I cannot answer that for you my friend, till I get one or see one in lifetime action, Sorry! I do know it controls flight direction as it faces forward always, if it see for example a tree, it programs the H to fly left/right, up/down till it sees no more trees so to speak, then will allow for it to follow it's coarse by either stick command or Follow/Watch Mode. If it cannot sense "safety" it will stop and hover

Reactions: Simspeed
I cannot answer that for you my friend, till I get one or see one in lifetime action, Sorry! I do know it controls flight direction as it faces forward always, if it see for example a tree, it programs the H to fly left/right, up/down till it sees no more trees so to speak, then will allow for it to follow it's coarse by either stick command or Follow/Watch Mode. If it cannot sense "safety" it will stop and hover
Ok...time will tell I guess. The lack of information about how RS functionally works in the various modes is disconcerting to me. I wouldn't invest in it until the truth comes out which is what the Captain suggested. If as the Euro video suggests, manual flight in RS mode works simply to give general direction to the H with RS determining course corrections around whatever appears in the way....how does it fly in safe/RS mode. In safe mode currently, I feel that the H follows stick direction without rotation of the drone like a heli would. In RS mode the H follows stick direction like a plane would where the nose follows stick direction but with immediate directional control to keep the nose pointed to changing direction. The H camera must then move independently either by manual pitch/yaw control or watch me programmed control...or fixed position as the operator intends. Am I thinking wrong about any of that? Thanks...

If there is something above the drone and realsense causes it to suddenly rise to avoid an object it will then make contact with the object above. If it desends to avoid an object it may fair better due to the IPS module.
Not good in my opinion. Seems like too much of a gamble to me to risk the H investment on autonomous flight programming where the system flies with open holes in the flight environment.

There are some videos from earlier this year where the realsense is being tested outdoors.

The white balls were just packing material they were too lazy to remove :)

The realsense will always point forward. If you fly sideways into a wall, you're going to hit the wall. If you fly backwards into a wall, you're going to hit the wall.
Base on discussion that follows you post Captain, the H can not fly sideways or backwards in RS mode because RS keeps the FOV in the direction of travel. So back to my question of does RS cause the drone to turn to keep the RS FOV in the intended direction if say the operator tries to fly sideways or backwards depending whether or not the drone is in Safe or Angle mode? You may not know....I'm just trying to get a clear understanding of what we do know. Thanks...

I did not buy the H for obstacle avoidance, I do commercial mapping of farmlands and ranches in Texas, with a 333 when time permits and film wildlife at times . So I am always up 200+ feet in the air and the only thing to avoid up there is birds, LOL ! Not to say I won't buy a RS and try it out. The H is a very stable and smooth platform for what I need, and I am so far pleased with it. I am leaning more towards a FLIR camera and more mapping software! And zoom lenses !;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy