Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

rdonson

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
There have been some comments and questions recently about proper care of LiPo batteries such as the ones we use in our Typhoon H aircraft. This article does a very good job of providing insight into these batteries and guidance on maintenance of them.

There are a number of good chargers available that will not only charge them and also show voltage for each cell and discharge them to proper voltage levels. Perhaps some of our more seasoned pilots will share their choices of chargers.

A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries

That’s a good article for people to start with and develop a basic understanding of lipo’s and their care.

As for chargers, in the beginning I started out with a few different “cheap” chargers and ended up replacing them a few times as they burnt out. As my batteries grew larger than 3s or 2500mA the cheap chargers would over heat and commit suicide. Tiring of frequently buying new chargers I switched to products made by well established brand name manufacturers with a long history in RC electric aviation. There are several high quality manufacturers in this class. I ended up staying with Hitec RCD and have a couple of their chargers, one of which is re-branded to become the Yuneec A-10 AC/DC dual charger and came with my 920. I believe Hitec calls it the X-2. Good little charger. For the past 4 years I’ve also been using a Hitec X4-400 charger with their AC to DC power supply. It’s a little faster than the A-10 using the same charge settings.

The point above is go with a good charger once, don’t buy cheap and unreliable chargers over and over. You won’t save any money in the long run with the lowest priced chargers. The life of your batteries is absolutely dependent on two things; the quality/accuracy of the charger and how you treat the batteries. The latter is inclusive of how well the charger performs.

I bought a venom pro2 and like It a lot
. The charger that yuneec provides charges the battery but I like the info am options that the venom provides .

As the article above states you need a charger that can
- balance the charging of all the cells in the battery at the proper voltage and current
- discharge or charge a battery to "storage" level
- show you the voltage of each cell

Venom has a good reputation for chargers

I am very impressed with the venom charger . Most likely will get a second one possibly a dual charger. They also make a nice charging with with balance leads for the typhoon h battery . Nice to be able to see what each cell is doing so I can decide if I need to use balance charge setting . Have four batters right now which gives me plenty of flight time .

Reactions: rdonson
I am very impressed with the venom charger . Most likely will get a second one possibly a dual charger. They also make a nice charging with with balance leads for the typhoon h battery . Nice to be able to see what each cell is doing so I can decide if I need to use balance charge setting . Have four batters right now which gives me plenty of flight time .

You should balance charge every time as each cell will have a slightly different IR.

Reactions: Emisis
Why o Why does every body go for a charger that will only do 1 type of battery. Your St 16 has a lithium ion single cell that also requires charging. With adapter cables you can charge 4 batteries at a time ,and that is ballance charge also ( with you DooMister you should ballance charge all the time ) storage and ordinary charge for 7 different battery types including your car battery, for the same price as the single use ones that only do the Yuneec product. I use an Ev-peak CQ-3 with 4 out let's and 100 watts per outlet at the one time. It is bad enough that we have to put up with whatever Yuneec dishes up to us ( as far as firmware and product updates ) ,but I for one am not staying single use battery chargers. The controler charge time is ridiculously long ,with an adapter cable down to 1/5 and ready to go. Don't be caught up in the too lazy department and just do the easy thing , find out why we have to look after our batteries and how they work and possibly we won't go to DJI style batteries that cost a fortune because we are too LAZY to LEARN how things work. Now that is said ,I feel better, and going out to do 3 more inspection jobs with the 2 H's and enjoy the beautifull sunny day ahead. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass .

I purchased a Morpilot DY3 for its simplicity in fulfilling the needs of my H batteries and providing an easy to read status of each cell of the batteries. I already had a drawer full of chargers that could handle the ST16. I didn’t need a charger that required leads and programming. Simplification was a consideration for me.

rdonson,
I was not having a go at you, but there are heaps of battery questions on every forum site and it gets too much. In my time I have trained 6 apprentices in carpentry and building in Queensland Australia 2 topped apprentice of the year 3 years each in succession, the boys have told me that it was that I taught them how to feel there tools and the way they work through the Timber. I would have loved half the tools that they now have at there disposal in this day and age. Also when I represented Australia hang gliding for over7 years all over the world, if you did not feel your machine or your own senses then you weren't competitive or safe . PatR is always saying to look up your questions in the magnifine Glass first then if you don't get an answer ask on the forum. Like you ,I have learnt from doing my research then seeking out more answers from the more experienced with interests in our line of Work or Hobby. Hopefully I did not offend you as it was not my intention nor is it my intention to any forum that I may post questions to. Off to finish my flying jobs for the day and I hope that all is good. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass .

i use a venom pro3 and also use the stock charger , been charging the st16 with that .

There have been some comments and questions recently about proper care of LiPo batteries such as the ones we use in our Typhoon H aircraft. This article does a very good job of providing insight into these batteries and guidance on maintenance of them.

There are a number of good chargers available that will not only charge them and also show voltage for each cell and discharge them to proper voltage levels. Perhaps some of our more seasoned pilots will share their choices of chargers.

That’s a good article for people to start with and develop a basic understanding of lipo’s and their care.

As for chargers, in the beginning I started out with a few different “cheap” chargers and ended up replacing them a few times as they burnt out. As my batteries grew larger than 3s or 2500mA the cheap chargers would over heat and commit suicide. Tiring of frequently buying new chargers I switched to products made by well established brand name manufacturers with a long history in RC electric aviation. There are several high quality manufacturers in this class. I ended up staying with Hitec RCD and have a couple of their chargers, one of which is re-branded to become the Yuneec A-10 AC/DC dual charger and came with my 920. I believe Hitec calls it the X-2. Good little charger. For the past 4 years I’ve also been using a Hitec X4-400 charger with their AC to DC power supply. It’s a little faster than the A-10 using the same charge settings.

The point above is go with a good charger once, don’t buy cheap and unreliable chargers over and over. You won’t save any money in the long run with the lowest priced chargers. The life of your batteries is absolutely dependent on two things; the quality/accuracy of the charger and how you treat the batteries. The latter is inclusive of how well the charger performs.

Pat,
Great recommendation in a neat precis as to 'what to buy' - thank you. Also Kudos to Ron for linking to an excellent article on batteries.
I had a Q500 and recently (5 weeks?) upgraded to the H Pro - totally different animal! I'm trying to vacuum up as much knowledge and flight time as possible so I can sit for my PfCO (UK CAA) exam.
Every page, every vlogger, every book I've read has reiterated the importance of looking after your batteries, and getting a good charger. I came on here to ask the question, and it's already been asked and answered! I'm going to try to find the Hitec X2, if not they have the X4 on Amazon.
Two quick questions if I may, and my sincere apologies if these have been asked an answered - I did have a read through first!
1) How long is it 'Ok' to leave a battery fully charged in the box/bag? Couple of days? Week?
2) Is what I've been told correct that it's best to leave your battery at about 50% charge in your bag/box?
3) Does the Hitec X2/4 come with all the cables etc that I'll need, or am I going to have to buy some more gear to go with?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience - up until a year ago I was a photographer, and I'm still like a kid in a candy store when it comes to being an (as yet unqualifed) pilot as well!

I did scam to this this is kind of over my head but I'll look at it again to see what I can absorb.
Keith Kuhn

Pat,
Great recommendation in a neat precis as to 'what to buy' - thank you. Also Kudos to Ron for linking to an excellent article on batteries.
I had a Q500 and recently (5 weeks?) upgraded to the H Pro - totally different animal! I'm trying to vacuum up as much knowledge and flight time as possible so I can sit for my PfCO (UK CAA) exam.
Every page, every vlogger, every book I've read has reiterated the importance of looking after your batteries, and getting a good charger. I came on here to ask the question, and it's already been asked and answered! I'm going to try to find the Hitec X2, if not they have the X4 on Amazon.
Two quick questions if I may, and my sincere apologies if these have been asked an answered - I did have a read through first!
1) How long is it 'Ok' to leave a battery fully charged in the box/bag? Couple of days? Week?
2) Is what I've been told correct that it's best to leave your battery at about 50% charge in your bag/box?
3) Does the Hitec X2/4 come with all the cables etc that I'll need, or am I going to have to buy some more gear to go with?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience - up until a year ago I was a photographer, and I'm still like a kid in a candy store when it comes to being an (as yet unqualifed) pilot as well!

I will suggest to all that when they want to know specifics about accessory inclusions they should visit the manufacturer's website to establish how a product is accessorized. Normally they provide only the basics as manufacturer's have no possible way of knowing what battery types we will be using or what balance taps those batteries will be fitted with. Products that I may have purchased 2 or more years ago may have experienced changes to their accessory inclusions, for better or for worse. To be in any way accurate I would have to go out and buy new stuff every couple months to be only partially up to date with what they contain. That ain't gonna happen[emoji6] However, I will help you to help yourself by providing a link to their site Chargers and Charging Accessories | HITEC RCD USA Note they have a charging accessory section so if it's in accessories it likely won't be included with a charger.

Plan on buying balance boards and charge plug adapters specific to your battery type. You'll see a great example of a balance board with different balance plug types on the Hitec site. If all you'll ever use is one type of balance plug you woun't need all the different options and could buy a single tap board for less money. I think over time you might end up wishing you bought the board that provided options though. The most common charger "power out" connections are banana plugs, with connector intended to mate with the battery on the other end. The most common ends for the battery side are XT30, XT60, XT90, EC3, EC5, Deans, Tamiya, Anderson/Sermos 15A, and JST. As you'll need to buy a Yuneec adapter from somewhere, find out what connector it has to link to the charger and select your charger adapter from there. Should you visit a good hobby shop and perform some online research you will come across "gang" adapters that have most all of them as a single assembly. For a quick visual example go here: 10 in 1 Multi Charge Plug Adapter Set (1pc) Understand there are arrangements with more or less connector options and that quality levels vary. They can be found at Amazon, eBay, and local hobby shops that specialize in the radio controlled hobby. One important caveat with this type of gang adapter is that most all of them use very small gauge wires (cheaper to make that way) to branch off the main lead and small gauge wires generate more resistance and heat, which impacts charging time and the accuracy for the battery state feedback to the charger. Personally, I make most of my own adapters in order to provide me more length flexibility, so my adapters tends to use "over sized) gauge wires (12AWG usually)to minimize resistance. Although it costs me more my adapters are plug specific for the type of plug employed on the battery. If you aren't into making your own stuff, this type of charge adapter is a better option: https://www.amazon.com/XT60-Male-Ba...&keywords=XT60+lipo+battery+charging+adapters There are many different makers that provide numerous mating plug options.

How long to leave a battery charged? No more than 1 week, preferably less. At two or three weeks cell damage becomes evident if left fully charged.

Storage level; Most of the better chargers handle that for you when you select the "Storage" setting in the menu. Around 3.7V/cell is where they end up. Using a "percentage" makes things confusing for most people. 50% of the rated voltage or 50% of the milliamp capacity? What should they use to measure milliamp level during or after discharging? Those that really get into batteries and how much of one they use in flight, do get into percentages, using milliamp and voltage combined to establish a discharge "floor" for their in flight or race track operations. They might employ some pretty sophisticated current tracking telemetry devices when their batteries are in use and use very high end chargers like stuff from AstroFlight to nail down every aspect of battery care. 99% of the people using this forum will never need to go to such expense and detail. The casual multirotor operator should strive to be conservative and never try to use up a battery to the last possible 1/10 or 1/100 volt. Leave yourself a safety buffer! If you are a commercial operator your government authority may have battery use limitations in place. Learn what they are. Typically they will place maximum discharge limits of ~50% on battery depletion.

Those that try to max out flight time from each battery are the same people that write posts about their aircraft falling from the sky. They’ll buy gas for their car when the gauge gets to 1/4 or so but they’ll run a battery down to where they are praying to make it back. The car can be parked at the curb when it runs out of gas...

The link Ron provided about understanding Lipos is a good "starter" article and it, or articles like it should be made mandatory reading for everyone getting into electric powered fight. As our batteries are pretty complex energy storage devices they are not easy to "simplify", but the Roger's Hobby article does a pretty good job of it. It's easy to do things very wrong when you don't understand what you are working with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamie5358
Some may find this graph of a very high quality 4S battery helpful in understanding the manner in which lipo batteries deliver their energy. Note the rapid drop in voltage after battery cells are depleted below 3.65 volts. This drop off is often called "the knee" and is the point at which further use of the battery should be curtailed to prevent battery damage or loss of the aircraft due to low voltage. That cell voltage works out to 14.6V for a 4S battery, like what is used for a Typhoon H. At this point there is very little flying time left, roughly 2 minutes or less before cell voltage drops to a harmful level, and continued operation sets the stage for disaster. Understand this performance graph was made with the battery under a much lower discharge load than our aircraft would place on it, so the time we would obtain from this battery would be much, much less.

This discharge curve profile is typical for lithium polymer cells with only minor deviations across brands. As mentioned, this is a very high quality MaxAmps battery and most brands won't perform quite this well.
4S-LiPo-Typical-Discharge.jpg
A Graph of “Voltage vs Time” as a 4S, MaxAmps LiPo 2250 mAh Pack is Discharged
Sullivan UV Products

Last edited:

This is a great and very comprehensive article. Thanks for sharing. Particularly enjoyed the discussion of the chemistry and why they are such fire hazards.

Reactions: rdonson
Some may find this graph of a very high quality 4S battery helpful in understanding the manner in which lipo batteries deliver their energy. Note the rapid drop in voltage after battery cells are depleted below 3.65 volts. This drop off is often called "the knee" and is the point at which further use of the battery should be curtailed to prevent battery damage or loss of the aircraft due to low voltage. That cell voltage works out to 14.6V for a 4S battery, like what is used for a Typhoon H. At this point there is very little flying time left, roughly 2 minutes or less before cell voltage drops to a harmful level, and continued operation sets the stage for disaster. Understand this performance graph was made with the battery under a much lower discharge load than our aircraft would place on it, so the time we would obtain from this battery would be much, much less.

This discharge curve profile is typical for lithium polymer cells with only minor deviations across brands. As mentioned, this is a very high quality MaxAmps battery and most brands won't perform quite this well.
View attachment 10450
A Graph of “Voltage vs Time” as a 4S, MaxAmps LiPo 2250 mAh Pack is Discharged
Sullivan UV Products
This is a great visualization of the discharge process. For the Typhoon, I suppose you can mentally change the time scale by dividing it in half, more or less.
I am wondering why the curve has the little blips or up-ticks every minute or so?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace