Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FIRST FLIGHT - omg !!!!

Indeed! Grand to hear of you having a great flight[emoji106]

BTW, you're video from the first flight tipped me off to what might have been going on. With the gimbal in the forward locked position you won't see the landing gear off to one side. It suggested a familiarization issue. Glad you're doing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the first flight, the Typhoon was not flying straight (which made me even more nervous) and found out that it was my thumbs shaking on the sticks. :D

Reactions: Ruud Hogenberg
Hey Pilots,
I'm new to the Typhoon H family. I had the Blade QX 350 for about 4 years now and just purchase the Typhoon H 4K.
I have yet to fly it yet and I am gathering all the information I can before I test her out.
Any information you guys can give would be very appreciated
I really don't want to crash this expensive investment.

Thanks

Hey Pilots,
I'm new to the Typhoon H family. I had the Blade QX 350 for about 4 years now and just purchase the Typhoon H 4K.
I have yet to fly it yet and I am gathering all the information I can before I test her out.
Any information you guys can give would be very appreciated
I really don't want to crash this expensive investment.

Thanks

Stay out of smart mode. It's like the 350 so you don't need to learn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
Is there any thing else before my first flight I should be aware of

It's a higher maintenance curve then the 350. Watch the captain drone videos on the camera. It's a deep set of choices and there are some quirks not well documented by Yuneec. Consider being in a ready to return mode at 14.5 volts. Don't worry if u see some jerky starts to stick moves. It rarely shows up in the video. What radio did you use with the 350? I still have 3 flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love my 350 very fast and responsive to any cumand. I've even flown it in 40 mile an hour wind with no problems at all.

Well today was the day ! No wind and not too chilly here in the UK.

So, calibrated everything this morning, batteries charged everything ready to go !
Note here on calibration.. I had the Prop Guards fitted - you cannot calibrate the compass with those on, they just get in the way trying to turn the bird over and over so compass calibration failed first time, took them off and hey presto ! its easy ha ha

Took her to the field next door, switch everything on step back at least 30 feet, waiting for what seemed like forever just to make sure GPS was good, had 17 on the H and 11 on the ST16 !

This is it ! (hmm shaking now...) Switch the motors on - all OK
Slowly powered up and she gracefully lifted off the ground, took her 20 feet up, and then landing gear up !
Hands off the sticks, and she just hovered in the same place, no twitching and sway to be seen. Gear down,
Slowly lowered the throttle stick, landed every to gently waited a while, then motors off !
Did that 3 or 4 times no problems what so ever...

Next steps tomorrow I hope !

It just goes to show, listen to people on here, read the manual again and again, watch as many video's as you can and away you go !!!!

Thanks to everyone who gave advice in my previous post, it sure helped !

Chris
Enjoy!

Well today was the day ! No wind and not too chilly here in the UK.

So, calibrated everything this morning, batteries charged everything ready to go !
Note here on calibration.. I had the Prop Guards fitted - you cannot calibrate the compass with those on, they just get in the way trying to turn the bird over and over so compass calibration failed first time, took them off and hey presto ! its easy ha ha

Took her to the field next door, switch everything on step back at least 30 feet, waiting for what seemed like forever just to make sure GPS was good, had 17 on the H and 11 on the ST16 !

This is it ! (hmm shaking now...) Switch the motors on - all OK
Slowly powered up and she gracefully lifted off the ground, took her 20 feet up, and then landing gear up !
Hands off the sticks, and she just hovered in the same place, no twitching and sway to be seen. Gear down,
Slowly lowered the throttle stick, landed every to gently waited a while, then motors off !
Did that 3 or 4 times no problems what so ever...

Next steps tomorrow I hope !

It just goes to show, listen to people on here, read the manual again and again, watch as many video's as you can and away you go !!!!

Thanks to everyone who gave advice in my previous post, it sure helped !

Chris
Atta boy Chris ! Crawl, walk run. I wish most people took it cautiously as you do. Bravo.

Received my h on tues the 17th.
Before that ( like 22 days before that received a propel sky master drone as first drone)
Really couldn't stand the flight time and couldn't find extra batteries for it.
Saw the h in Best Buy on the 15th of January
On sale.
Went home bought it
Took out theBox
love it
Now I'm now I'm just a lil bit scared to put it up.
I work days and live right near an airport so....
Besides the normal task of when and where
I need courage
And now I read in the forums about fly always!!!
1. Which unit do I have if mine came with a wizard remote ? Read that someone who experienced a mild "fly away" ,contacted Yuneec and was asked did his come with or without the wizard.
2. Since I just bought this typhoon h does that mean that it's already updated to the currrent firmware?

Jones,
1. You likely have the Pro version. Your ST16= two external antenna or three. If three: Pro.
2. Very doubtful! Lot's of info on this forum and on YouTube on how to do the updates.
Make every effort to determine where you can and cannot fly and go to where you can. I'm in Canada so my links won't help. Google "No Fly Zones" and you should be able to locate some maps. This forum likely has some links somewhere too.
Have fun. Fly safe.

Just learn something from every flight. Learn one mode or function at a time, repeating flights in that state over and over until you know it well enough to act from instant recall, not referring to instructions or forum posts. Develop a personal pre-flight checklist. Something you do before every flight to assure both you and the aircraft are ready and safe to fly.

Something we all do is go out and try everything we can as quickly as we can. In so doing we get to enjoy the excitement of each new thing we try but we don't end those flights with adequate comprehension of what we or the aircraft was doing, how it was done, and those small details that are so important to insuring the next flight will have fewer problems or moments of confusion than the last flight. The better we understand what each mode and function does, the less the possibility of making a small mistake that could end up causing big problems.

Take the camera off and fly without a video reference, nose in and nose out. Learn to control the aircraft instinctively, not with a video reference. Memorize the switches, what they do, and the positions that establishes what they do. Develop the familiarity necessary to touch the correct switch without having to look for it. Learn the ST-16 screen well enough that if you want information you know exactly where to look for it without having to review everything on the screen. How far, how high, aircraft voltage, -16 voltage, # of sats at each side. Go there on the first glance. There will come a time that becomes critical and not have time to be searching for the info location.

Put the camera back on and spend many flights exploring the camera functionality. You bought a camera drone that provides the ability to customize the imagery as it's recorded. Make use of those functions, just as you would with a much more expensive DSLR. Photography is all about creativity so learn how your camera works and what it can do in order to be as creative as you can be.

As that experience increases our flights become easier, less apprehensive, and more relaxed. Planning flights will become easier, as well as maximizing what we can do with the aircraft in the amount of flight time available for each flight. It becomes a lot more fun:)

Last edited:
Second Flight - more adrenaline !

Took my H for a second flight this afternoon - great results although more nerves !
So practiced everything from my first flight again, take off, fly away.com back and land !
3 times - now feeling confident ! ! ( NOT)

New battery, up again and lets try a full circle, wow easy ha ha ha
Bit more confident now.... lets go a bit further !
Away she goes, another turn to the right, thinking lets try a figure of 8
Now its getting more difficult... My Fault.. lost my orientation of the H and could see which way she was going when moving the sticks....
DONT PANIC - i say.... hit the RTH switch, and sure to form the H turns round and comes straight back, and keep coming and getting closer and closer and now even closer...
OK now she is hovering right over my head, landing gear is coming down and all I can think is SAFE ZONE SAFE ZONE ahhhh FLY AWAY FLY AWAY.....
Back into ANGEL mode take control, back her away to about 20 foot, then land !
So my question now is... I though the H would maintain a SAFE ZONE of about 20 foot ! or is that is Safe Mode only ????
A bit scary but lessons learnt and no fly away or crash ! ! !

Try again tomorrow, weather permitting !

Second Flight - more adrenaline !

Took my H for a second flight this afternoon - great results although more nerves !
So practiced everything from my first flight again, take off, fly away.com back and land !
3 times - now feeling confident ! ! ( NOT)

New battery, up again and lets try a full circle, wow easy ha ha ha
Bit more confident now.... lets go a bit further !
Away she goes, another turn to the right, thinking lets try a figure of 8
Now its getting more difficult... My Fault.. lost my orientation of the H and could see which way she was going when moving the sticks....
DONT PANIC - i say.... hit the RTH switch, and sure to form the H turns round and comes straight back, and keep coming and getting closer and closer and now even closer...
OK now she is hovering right over my head, landing gear is coming down and all I can think is SAFE ZONE SAFE ZONE ahhhh FLY AWAY FLY AWAY.....
Back into ANGEL mode take control, back her away to about 20 foot, then land !
So my question now is... I though the H would maintain a SAFE ZONE of about 20 foot ! or is that is Safe Mode only ????
A bit scary but lessons learnt and no fly away or crash ! ! !

Try again tomorrow, weather permitting !

good to hear you are enjoying it. AFAIK the safe zone is only active in safe mode. If you lose orientation just look at the screen, assuming you're in the default pan mode, as the camera faces forward.

happy flying

Bravo! Welcome to the world of UAV flight.

Keep practicing...try practicing specific techniques as you gain confidence. (orbits, figure 8's, etc.)

Bravo! Welcome to the world of UAV flight.

Keep practicing...try practicing specific techniques as you gain confidence. (orbits, figure 8's, etc.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy