Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying into narrow canyons possible?

Reaction score
Hello all, has anyone flown their typhoon H into narrow canyons without losing signal? I'm wondering if you'll lose video and control of the drone while in canyons or maybe in negative altitude....

Thanks for your comments in advance!

As long as the H can "see" the ST-16 there should be no problem. Put a bend in the canyon wall that blocks the signal between the two and you will have a problem. Both frequencies used for the H are completely dependent on maintaining signal line of sight. Both frequencies are also relatively weak and short wavelength, so neither are very good at penetrating dense foliage or through and around structural obstructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Larry D Ralston
Hello all, has anyone flown their typhoon H into narrow canyons without losing signal? I'm wondering if you'll lose video and control of the drone while in canyons or maybe in negative altitude....

Best bet is if your senses say it's a bad plan.. don't do it. I recently took a long photo trip but only flew 4 times over 8 stops. Two locations tempted me so much but my wind meter recorded several over 25 mph gusts. I'd rather pine for a missed shot than ponder a crash I caused by pushing the envelope. Fly over it and record it looking down and study the terrain. Go back a bunch of times and learn where it could work. Forget trying to watch the screen because you've already studied the light, the lowest wind times, the best spot and your objective. If you can maintain VLOS from inside the canyon within your flight shot plan then I'd try it.

For what it's worth, I got hired to film in canyons twice now and both times had crashes and both times because I pushed beyond what I felt comfortable doing and clients were also inexperienced in drone capabilities and had way high expectations. The H has put me back in charge of shots as I know it's limits and if had it last winter I could have gotten that canyon and crazy rock formation close flyovers the client wanted. Winds a ***** inside canyons and thermals come up off rock faces unpredictability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The H can handle 25mh winds just fine. Shifting wind directions are a different matter.

I often fly in river gorges, not really narrow canyons. I never fly beyond line of sight. I may not get many satellites at launch but usually pick up many more as I gain altitude. I have never lost video signal or control of the H. I have had GPS/compass problems with other quads. Switching to attit mode saved them. I wish Yuneec would add a dedicated switch to do this.

With the rapid expansion of functionality through firmware upgrades thus far I would not be surprised to see an expansion of flight modes somewhere down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you set the RTH altitude sufficiently high. Losing GPS is a real concern if you have canyon walls extending well above the flight path.

Never tried it since I'd have to travel a distance to find a canyon. However, I can say that since the last Yuneec firmware update I can now fly the Typhoon H behind objects without losing a video signal which is a massive improvement. Your signal will depend on where you're standing in relation to your H. You should be standing in an open area for best two way communication with the H.

Never tried it since I'd have to travel a distance to find a canyon. However, I can say that since the last Yuneec firmware update I can now fly the Typhoon H behind objects without losing a video signal which is a massive improvement. Your signal will depend on where you're standing in relation to your H. You should be standing in an open area for best two way communication with the H.
Are using the stock antenna? I lose vid to much it seems...

Bill W.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital