Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gimbal Calibration Frequency or Possible Gimbal Problem?

Reaction score
I flew a nearby river valley this morning and got some awesome video, or so I thought. I didn't realize it at the time, but during my first flight, the horizon is off level by 20 +/- degrees. On my second flight, the horizon was level as it should be. Aside from the horizon be off level on the first flight, general stabilization looked great as usual.

Got home and fired up the system and the gimbal was not reacting to certain commands normally. For example, I would pan the camera, then put it to zero pan and it would keep moving very slowly. Also, when I would start the system the gimbal would not center the camera straight ahead but somewhat off to the side. Plus when I would hold the aircraft and move it around into different attitudes the gimbal was noisy. I don't know if the noise is normal because I've never done that before and don't have a point of reference when the bird was new.

I've only ever calibrated the gimbal twice, after the two firmware updates I've done, so I went ahead and calibrated the gimbal and all seems normal again, at least on the bench.

I'm trying to understand what went amiss on the first flight and wondering if this is a calibration issue or a gimbal failing.

Thanks to all for your input!

All gimbals require calibration periodically, as do the systems that control them. With what you provided for description my first guess has the primary system, the ST-16 falling slightly out of calibration. This is an easy fix via the System Settings "secret menu." Run a complete gimbal calibration afterwards to sync the gimbal with the controller. Be sure to verify the sliders and pan knob are centered before starting a gimbal cal.

I don't think there's any cause for alarm. Lacking comprehensive system maintenance instructions from Yuneec it prolly would not hurt anything to periodically perform system calibrations. Perhaps monthly? Certainly after making long trips to new locations, where the compass will certainly need to be calibrated and sync with the GPS differences.

Thank you PatR,

I calibrated the ST16 about 2 months ago but will do it again and follow with a gimbal calibration. I always calibrate the compass everytime I fly 20 or miles away from home base but have not been good about other calibrations. Everthing always works so well I've gotten complacent.

My apologies if you already know this, but I have seen this specific point recur in several threads... make sure to
manually reboot the H after a gimbal calibration. It's the only calibration that the Typhoon does not automatically
reboot on it's own upon completion.

My apologies if you already know this, but I have seen this specific point recur in several threads... make sure to
manually reboot the H after a gimbal calibration. It's the only calibration that the Typhoon does not automatically
reboot on it's own upon completion.
Thank you. I was not aware of that and appreciate that important info!

It's been about 5 months since my H exhibited that slow rotation behavior . But if I remember, I had to do the following
steps in order, to get everything to "stick":

1) Calibrate the ST-16 via the "secret menu" ST-16 Calibration ( secret menu )

2) Do a gimbal calibration.

3) Power the H back up and put it into binding mode (most easily done by switching to "Team Mode")... rebind both
the aircraft and the camera. Then power down both the H and the controller.

When you power both back up, you should be back in single mode, completely bound, and the gimbal should
be still and centered. It took me a few attempts.

Last edited:
It's been a while, so I very well may have done the ST-16 first... I will happily concede to your wisdom, o Typhoon master... :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers