Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Impossible to go down for landing with the ST 16 command

Reaction score
My typhoon H did not want to go down with the ST 16 command, I had to use the home return mode to land someone to have this problem ?

I had the same problem until I installed the latest update. However, now I have trouble with yaw. Anyone else?

I did the update of the Typhoon H and the st16 then clean data in ipad apps in the flight mode apps, look the tutorial at this adress :
then I did the calibration procedure compass and accelerometer , after a test flight everything seems perfect.

Make sure you pull the throttle stick back past the center position if you want to descend. Preferably to the lowest stick position and hold it there while descending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem until I installed the latest update. However, now I have trouble with yaw. Anyone else?

Yaw can seem non existent in turtle mode until the stick is to it's max point to either side. Check yaw response when in higher setting and see if it's moving as you expect. It's possible you need to calibrate the ST? Look at how everything behaves in hardware monitor and if in doubt, find the calibration tutorial as that easier to follow then explaining here. Remember Yaw is purposely way slow in turtle mode for steady flying pans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the heads up. I had to send the st-16 back to have the left stick replaced. They walked me through the calibration process over the phone and determined that the control was bad. I just got it back today. Back in business!

I have had this happen a couple of times... usually about 10-15 feet off the ground. I know I saw a post by Cranky Trapper,
reporting the same issue. Thus far, aborting the landing, going back up to about 50 feet and then trying to re-land has taken
care of the issue, but then I get drifting or toilet bowl issues starting to be exhibited.

I am going to spend a lot of time this week, trying to practice and get used to CaptainDrone's "mid-air" catch technique,
but I am still wary of the H freezing up when still out of reach scenario. So I had a thought... Would a handheld cherry picker
be able to grab onto the landing gear and hold it tightly enough to be able to power down?

Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop

Or am I as retarded as my signature suggests? :confused:

I have had this happen a couple of times... usually about 10-15 feet off the ground. I know I saw a post by Cranky Trapper,
reporting the same issue. Thus far, aborting the landing, going back up to about 50 feet and then trying to re-land has taken
care of the issue, but then I get drifting or toilet bowl issues starting to be exhibited.

I am going to spend a lot of time this week, trying to practice and get used to CaptainDrone's "mid-air" catch technique,
but I am still wary of the H freezing up when still out of reach scenario. So I had a thought... Would a handheld cherry picker
be able to grab onto the landing gear and hold it tightly enough to be able to power down?

Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop

Or am I as retarded as my signature suggests? :confused:

Grabbing is easy. Just keep your finger on the shut off button as you approach. Grab gear and hold on. Don't panic if it revs up. Keep it higher than your head. Hold button till motors stop.

And if it's still too high to grab? Just continue my abort and re-try strategy?
I assume if it tries to rev up, the cherry picker will never hold it, so that's out.

My problem is that I'm still at the stage of second guessing myself, and don't know
at the time when it happens if:

a) I'm just a rookie idiot, and did something stupid, or

b) This is an issue I have to call Yuneec CS about, and maybe send the H in.
This last time it happened, I had just successfully calibrated the compass, so
would it get out of calibration immediately like that?

Last edited:
I have had this issue happen to me. I found that if I toggled the landing gear up and down. It will allow the H to descend. The low height limit of the H is about 6 ft high when the landing gear is up. Sometimes it will stay up at about 10 feet. I like to land the H myself and not let it go to home mode unless it is absolutely necessary. Well because sometimes when I land, the H will tip forward or backward after it lands. My thumb is not on the right stick at all. One time it did that and I had to manuever the H to keep it from sticking props in the ground. Has anyone else had this problem, it seems to happen about every other flight and props will become expensive.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have never landed in RTH mode. The one time I used it, as soon as the H was close to directly overhead,
I popped it back into angle mode to land.

This last time out I did have some serious drifting upon the final landing with it skipping along horizontally,
less than 6" off the ground. At that point, I would assume prop wash was playing into the behavior as well.
I did end up with a tip-over, but remarkably no props were damaged.

I just want to get over the feeling that every time I launch, I might not be able to get him back down. After all,
he's my son, Ty... what kind of father doesn't look out for his child's safety? ;)

Last edited:
I have never landed in RTH mode. The one time I used it, as soon as the H was close to directly overhead,
I popped it back into angle mode to land.

This last time out I did have some serious drifting upon the final landing with it skipping along horizontally,
less than 6" off the ground. At that point, I would assume prop wash was playing into the behavior as well.
I did end up with a tip-over, but remarkably no props were damaged.

I just want to get over the feeling that every time I launch, I might not be able to get him back down. After all,
he's my son, Ty... what kind of father does look out for his child's safety? ;)

Where is your rabbit/turtle slider upon non descents?

Can't guarantee every time, but I do have one of my landing check-off items as fully "turtle". My focus in this
endeavor is completely on the priority of smooth steady video... don't care about racing it around.

Can't guarantee every time, but I do have one of my landing check-off items as fully "turtle". My focus in this
endeavor is completely on the priority of smooth steady video... don't care about racing it around.

Me too. The H actually is amazingly steady in descents so not being able to complete that properly would be extremely frustrating...
The landing gear is on its own channel and it's just switch with no extra parameters. That being said, I don't like those long tab switches as they break easily and lose contact. I'd replace the switch on the ST 16 for the gear if they work properly during autonomous lowering in RTH. Made in China after all and the QC on parts like that is pretty low.

I have the same problem with not wanting to land, especially when it is doing the circular toilet bowl thing. fortunately every time it has been where I can grab it out of the air as mentioned. I recently (last weekend) updated to the latest firmware, cleared the OTA data and went thru full calibration. This seems to have helped quite a bit. Still yaw has been off by ~10 degrees, meaning if I fly forward it goes forward and left, but the toilet bowl seems gone.
This morning when launching, it flipped over! Broke two props and the camera rail. Looking at the telemetry VS reality I can see the compass was 180 off! The craft was pointed south southwest (190 deg) the telemetry shows it pointed near north at 6.8 degrees. I had the camera on with S1 and S2 up so I know I didn't just space out and place it down backward. I suspect it flipped as the misdirection from the compass caused power to the wrong side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss