Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing Pad and Drifting

Reaction score
I wanted to share an observation about landing with a collapsible fabric landing pad.

The landing pad I have has a ferrous spring steel outter ring that somehow seems to interfer with the H during landing. When I get within two or three feet the H starts to drift around. When landing without the pad, the H is rock solid.

I'm curious if others have noticed this same behavior?

Any metal that close to the H will affect the compass. You need a different pad of remove the steel.

How many times have you tried to land on it? I am wondering because if you are trying to be more careful to land on the center of it, you may be applying left or right pressure to the stick causing it to drift.
Suggestions.....
1) If you know someone else that has an H that you trust, have them try to land on it to see what happens. This will eliminate user error.
2) If you can, remove the ring and use something else to weigh it down or hold it open.
3) The usual....calibrate everything.

Don't try running down low between railroad tracks. You will not be happy with the result....

Don't try running down low between railroad tracks. You will not be happy with the result....
Is it a case of Trains 1, Typhoon H Zero?
(I am kidding)

I don't understand why exterior metal has such an effect on the compass. It has six motors with strong magnets and strong switched electromagnets near the electronics pod.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnYuneec
If you want an inexpensive landing pad, try asking a carpet store for a remnant piece and make your own. Target sells hula hoops for under $6 bucks and would probably be easy to attach a piece of carpet or perhaps canvas to it.

I don't understand why exterior metal has such an effect on the compass. It has six motors with strong magnets and strong switched electromagnets near the electronics pod.

Curious also. There is a members video in photos and videos section where he is flying all over and around a construction site. The building is all steel frame, girders and h beam stuff with steel planking for the concrete flooring and not a glitch apparently. He seems to be maybe as little as 10 feet from the structure at times.

So is there a minimum safe distance to steel structures or is it more a question of the configuration of the steel like train tracks?

I really don't have an answer but I've tried to run low between RR tracks with two different H's at several locations. Results were always the same. From about 15' and lower they would start out just fine. After about 100' they would suddenly take off to the sides.

Hey everyone,

I am currently designing a landing pad. I want it to be the most functional, quality, etc pad to use. Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on what it should include? Size? What I should not include/watch for? Material? Etc... thanks!!!

Good luck. As soon as you think about putting a price on it you're going to get shot down, badly. I had a carbon fiber design ready to go into the plug but everyone went to whatever they could use for as close to free as possible.

If it's just for you consider something similar to an automotive floor mat on a larger scale.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
The software can compensate for the motors and other electromagnets because they are a known quantity. Similar to old steel ships where the compass binnacles had big steel balls mounted either side of the compass and adjusted to cancel out the magnetic effects of the steel hull.

I wanted to share an observation about landing with a collapsible fabric landing pad.

The landing pad I have has a ferrous spring steel outter ring that somehow seems to interfere with the H during landing. When I get within two or three feet the H starts to drift around. When landing without the pad, the H is rock solid.

I'm curious if others have noticed this same behavior?

I have the same landing pad and today I used it for the first time. I put it on my lawn out back and then took off with my TH to about 25 feet above the ground. I tilted my camera straight down and pressed the video button. I centered the pad on my screen and just started coming down until I landed right on the pad.
I was going to upload a short video, but it won't let me send an MP4.

Anyway, I did several takeoffs & landings on the pad with no apparent magnetic interference. Just try a few more landings and see how it goes with your landing pad.

I saw a video where the guy uses those heavy duty foam mats that look like over size puzzle pieces as his take off/landing pad. It seemed heavy enough to not be bothered by the down draft of the H.

Thanks for all the responses.

I started the thread to share with other newbies like me, that the fabric collapsible pads which have the spring steel ring sewn along the outside edge, can cause the H to drift around a bit making landing more difficult.

After doing numerous tests and confirming this issue, I started using a heavy moving blanket as my landing pad and my landings were spot on every time with no drift.

I since have learned to hand catch the H and that is now my preferred method for ending my flights.

A lid to one of those large vinyl bins at Walmart with a tent stake driven through it, yo.

I had my sign guy make me up this out of 1/2 inch plastic sign material its 4ftX4ft split in the middle for fold up for easy handling, you can get it at any home depo or where ever It cost me $25.00 works great upload_2017-6-25_11-53-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-25_11-49-51.png
    upload_2017-6-25_11-49-51.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
View attachment 6307
The software can compensate for the motors and other electromagnets because they are a known quantity. Similar to old steel ships where the compass binnacles had big steel balls mounted either side of the compass and adjusted to cancel out the magnetic effects of the steel hull.
Sorry I don't buy the computerized filter concept. There is not enough computer power on board the air craft to compensate quickly and accurately to stop interference. Changing rpm and loading would be too quick for and difficult even for a desktop computer to handle.
What computer power that is available is navigating and stabilizing the aircraft.
I am very familiar with the binnacles on board the ships. I served in the navy 40 plus years ago.

Sorry I don't buy the computerized filter concept. There is not enough computer power on board the air craft to compensate quickly and accurately to stop interference. Changing rpm and loading would be too quick for and difficult even for a desktop computer to handle.
What computer power that is available is navigating and stabilizing the aircraft.
I am very familiar with the binnacles on board the ships. I served in the navy 40 plus years ago.
If you are familar with the old type ships compass, you should also be aware of Variation, Deviation and Dip - the first being the angle between True North and Magnetic North, the second being the amount of deflection on the compass caused by the parts of the ship itself and the third being the vertical component of the Earth's magnetic field. You may also remember having to Swing Ship to calculate this deviation to then set the position of the compensating balls on the binnacle. Typhoon H compass calibration will discover and make allowance for these factors and the onboard computers are more than powerful enough to use these values.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal