Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My Typhoon H flew off and never came back

Status
Not open for further replies.
so its possible that its anywhere with the line of flight back home... it would have autolanded anywhere within the line
None of this is good news for you. The battery was down to 14.8 v and it was 1.94 miles away. There would be absolutely no way for it to make the return trip. I'm guessing you lost telemetry which would have triggered RTH so it would have autolanded somewhere in the line of flight back to the ST16. If you had your name and phone number on it someone might find it and call. Other than that, it's lost. Yuneec will likely determine this is pilot error for flying that distance because it is out of range for both control and battery capacity. I make certain my H is within 1000' when it hits 14.8v and I'm usually landing at that point.
its

Reactions: CraigCam
so its possible that its anywhere with the line of flight back home... it would have autolanded anywhere within the line
its
Right. RTH is always a direct line of flight back to the ST16. When the battery gets somewhere around 14.1 volts it will auto land where ever it is.
The H knows the last known location of the ST16 after telemetry is lost.

im just confused.. so its possible that the last gps location is not where it is.. it could be somewhere within the flight on rth

im just confused.. so its possible that the last gps location is not where it is.. it could be somewhere within the flight on rth
Yes. The H is designed to fly back to the last known location of the ST16 if it looses contact with the controller. For example the battery went dead in the ST16 or you dropped it in a lake. It will continue to fly until contact is reestablished or until the battery is drained.

but its possible that the drone is not where its last location said?
Yes. The H is designed to fly back to the last known location of the ST16 if it looses contact with the controller. For example the battery went dead in the ST16 or you dropped it in a lake. It will continue to fly until contact is reestablished or until the battery is drained.

sorry to be a bother but im just confused.. on my st16 i can see the flight on the map.. and when it initiated rth why do you think it kept going forward and not turn back.. thats what i hope that yuneec can see.. it just kept going straight then stopped.. never attempted to turn around
o

That's right because if it lost connection then the ST16 would not be able to record the log. If you see the telemetry disappear from the screen then it is not recording telemetry any longer, but the H goes into autonomous return mode. This is assuming that the H didn't hit a tree or go into a pond.

Change the file name to end with .txt and try the upload again. I can then change it back to .csv to make it useful.

Make a copy of the file and then rename it. Ignore the warning about changing the name.

You should be able to upload a txt file

Let me clarify. When you switched to RTH, the aircraft may have turned to return home. In doing so all the signals were lost. It may have appeared to continue flying on your monitor but there is a significant lag at that distance. The H, however, would have kept flying back toward the controller.

Let me clarify. When you switched to RTH, the aircraft may have turned to return home. In doing so all the signals were lost. It may have appeared to continue flying on your monitor but there is a significant lag at that distance. The H, however, would have kept flying back toward the controller.
no not on the video feed but on my flight log on the st16..it went from angle to home but continued going straight

I think this is it when you get back

Attachments

• Telemetry_00022(1).txt
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

Battery exhaustion due to the pilot's failure to ensure that an adequate voltage supply was onboard to satisfy the flight as conducted. A contributing factor was the lack of suitable terrain for the forced landing, loss of visual line-of-site of the aircraft and the pilot's failure to demonstrate safe and legal aeronautical decision making.

Unfortunately, when you're at the limit of radio reception, it's always possible that RTH may not work - it's quite possible to run out of power, for the Typhoon to have received incorrect position information from the ST-16, or to encounter obstacles when returning home. It does look like it may have continued along the line of flight when RTH was engaged, but the telemetry at that point is patchy, so it's hard to be sure.

The point here is that when the Typhoon looses connection, the drone will engage RTH mode. However, if the ST-16 has no reception, you will not get telemetry unless the drone and controller happen to manage to reconnect. So you will not see what the drone is doing, though it may be flying quite happily at that point. Flying at the edge of good radio reception is risky for exactly that reason. The telemetry appears to show that reception was quite poor in the second half of your flight.

It's also worth pointing out that at the time you lost telemetry the Typhoon was down to 14.5 volts. There was no hope of you being able to fly back to base on that battery, so you would have lost the drone anyway, even if you had kept connection. You had already flown way too far away. You also appear to have adjusted the altitude ceiling to 1000 meters. At that height, a safe landing is almost impossible on low battery - it takes minutes to descend.

You said that you were flying out in the open, and I know that a few people have told you flying beyond line of sight is against the law. Your telemetry seems to show that you were flying out of a residential area, with your line of sight blocked by trees and apartment buildings. The best you could hope for is that it came down in the trees somewhere. The worst case scenario is that it fell out of the sky and damaged property, hit someone, or tried to auto land on the freeway. Nearly four pounds of drone falling from 1000 meters will do a lot of damage. Whether or not you broke the law, you appear to have been flying in a way that was irresponsible and was pretty much guaranteed to end in failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy