Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Sluggish response by Q500 4K

Reaction score
Hi all.
I was out flying yesterday and for the first 20 mins or so I had no problems then having changed location to an equally quiet area I was flying and noticed that the drone was reacting very slowly to the controls. I was bringing it in to land and had the control stick fully down but when I let it return to the middle the bird kept coming down. I pushed the stick up and the bird still came down, a little tricky as it was heading for a car. After a moment or two is stopped descending and went back up until the car had departed and then I was able to bring it in to land but it was still behaving sluggishly.
I haven't been out with it again yet but am concerned that it might decide to fly off on it's own. I'm pretty sure that the speed control was all the way forwards towards the Hare though it was a bit alarming at the time and I didn't have time to look at the display.
Any thoughts would be most welcome.`

Thanks for the insight, I've checked the area to see if there's anything around that could affect it like a power line or any other potential sources of interference but couldn't see anything, there's little around the beach area I was flying.
I had done a compass calibration earlier in the day but not the accelerometer, I'll give that a whirl next and keep you posted.
Thanks again for your replies. Fingers crossed.

It's a good idea to perform an accelerometer calibration either through the GUI software download from the Yuneec website ( I do mine from Windows 7) or perform the calibration in the field, according to your flight manual. And ALWAYS correctly perform a compass calibration before you fly.

Another trick to try is to take off in Angle Mode and hovel about 30 feet over head from where you have the transmitter. Make certain you are in Rabbit mode as the drone is hovering. Turn the sticks loose and watch the satellite links for the drone and the camera.

That's what I do for about one to two minutes.

Jim,
New 4K Pilot

Hi Jim, thanks for that.
I had done a compass calibration but haven't tried the accelerometer calibration yet, as soon as the damned wind dies down here on the end of Long Island New York I'll be back out and doing both checks in the field before a flight.
Cheers,
Glynn.

Noiseboy,

You are very welcome to the advice. I have been watching a series of You Tube videos created by Jeff Sibelius. His series has great advice, especially for novice drone pilots, because he focuses most of the videos on Typhoon 4K's, the 500+'s, the G's, and the 500's.

I have seen one that relates to calibrating the accelerometer and the compass. It is very helpful.

I am somewhat curious. Is your field close enough to the ocean to do any over the water flying?

Jim
New 4K Pilot

Noiseboy,
I posted a you tube video on 6 13 2016. A flyover on one of our three large fields on our farm. It is about 60 acres in size and gives you a bird's eye view of what most of our farm looks. The video is titled Big Walk Field at South Fork Road.

Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal