Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H CGO3+ camera has a focus problem. Period.

The physical shape of the CGO3+ camera makes a lot of sense.
Ok so here is 1 using the std camera on the H...

This was not taken by me ok. Very nice quality straight from the H stock setup.

I will also post a video shot after the lens was replaced, Again this was not me but this is straight out of the sd card with no post improvements. I watched the original in 4K and its awsome considering he had it set to AUTO at the time which means even better quality when set up manual settings. Sadly though unless i am mistake, it is only viewable in up to 2K mode..let me know if some of u can see it in 4K.

The second video you posted shot with the 3.97MM replacement lens looks terrible. the subject matter is nice,but the focus is soft around the out part of the videos frame.

Reactions: banned user
Ok so here is 1 using the std camera on the H...

This was not taken by me ok. Very nice quality straight from the H stock setup.

I will also post a video shot after the lens was replaced, Again this was not me but this is straight out of the sd card with no post improvements. I watched the original in 4K and its awsome considering he had it set to AUTO at the time which means even better quality when set up manual settings. Sadly though unless i am mistake, it is only viewable in up to 2K mode..let me know if some of u can see it in 4K.

One problem. The first video is not from a stock Typhoon H lens. Watch any video on YouTube from a stock Typhoon H lens and you'll see the pincushion effect with objects on the out side edges becoming distorted in width and angle as the camera moves by them. The replacement lens corrects this.

What good is a lens replacement if the bit rate is horribly low?
There are no assurances whatsoever that replacing the lens wont reveal exactly what DerStig has claimed: that the camera is flawed from the start. If I knew for sure, you make a good point. But I don't. Frankly, I spent almost 2 days downloading raw H video files and examining them in detail, comparing them in After Effects and I found that even when the focus problem was under control this camera is inferior to the one on the P4. I wish it wasn't true but it is. I was desperately searching for footage that looked as good as the DJI camera. The fact is it simply not there.

Would I prefer a decent camera on the Typhoon H craft? In a heart beat. In fact Yuneec is already ahead of the game a bit in that it has a removable camera (P4 not) But unless you know a way to strap a P4 camera on to the H (that I don't know about), I'll hold my nose and buy the P4. Then in 6 months or maybe in a year when Yuneec announces the "Typhoon H Mark ii" that fixes the nightmare camera problems for a whole new $1300 I can buy it then.

But of course you'll be screw&^%$, because you invested in the "Typhoon - Mark i".....

Hey guys !
I was really waiting this Typhoon H and thought this will be the one. Then first videos came out and I couldn't belive how Yuneec just can't learn from q500 camera issues (too warm, etc.) , and now again camera is main problem. I remember one guy posted shots of H video and P4 video on the same spots and you can see how P4 videos are just much better in color and sharp. I started to talk about this on another forum and was accused that I am DJI agent or whatever.
Now after sometime, I read that users are acknowledge what I said in the beginning. Camera producing blurry videos and auto setting are just not as good as with P4. Nevertheless I am not buying P4 because it just don't look pro to me. So it seems I will wait to see if Yuneec will acknowledge this and start to replacing cameras in near future.

They must understand that this machine camera is what this is about.......... VIDEOGRAPHY and PHOTOGRAPHY.
Wake up Yuneec !

Hey Cokeaddick - Where did you find the original footage you used in the first video? I'm curious, as it does look like a less wide lens, with less spatial distortion.

I took this photo this afternoon, I think it's pretty clear .... What do you pro photographers think, is my lens in focus ? image.jpg

I took this photo this afternoon, I think it's pretty clear .... What do you pro photographers think, is my lens in focus ? View attachment 1598
Looking at this on my phone it looks like you have the typical Typhoon H lens distortion (houses on upper right show it), but you image quality is top notch from what I can make out zoomed in on a phone.

There doesn't seem to be enough processing power to do a VBR. Best data rate I've seen is 50Mbps
My guess is thats it's a VBR with 50 set as the max and the target, with about 30 set as the min, if it was a CBR would we not see a constant number at each frame size/ rate?
I have anything from mid 30's to high 40's in 2160p.
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 22.24.48.png

Last edited:
Looking at this on my phone it looks like you have the typical Typhoon H lens distortion (houses on upper right show it), but you image quality is top notch from what I can make out zoomed in on a phone.
Thanks @CAPTAINDRONE , I was wondering if I should get this other lens that everyone is talking about fitted, as ultimately I will want to be using the H for inspecting trees so I will have to get pretty close !

Thanks @CAPTAINDRONE , I was wondering if I should get this other lens that everyone is talking about fitted, as ultimately I will want to be using the H for inspecting trees so I will have to get pretty close !
If close is your main target you could choose a much narrower field of view than this other lens which I believe is about 90 degrees. There are tons of suppliers selling these lenses in all configurations, as an example here is one M12 Mount board lenses , basically with a longer focal length you get a more zoomed in image. (edit..the size you want is for a 1/2.3 mount.)

Reactions: Luckyleaf
If close is your main target you could choose a much narrower field of view than this other lens which I believe is about 90 degrees. There are tons of suppliers selling these lenses in all configurations, as an example here is one M12 Mount board lenses , basically with a longer focal length you get a more zoomed in image. (edit..the size you want is for a 1/2.3 mount.)

I take it by retrofitting differnt lenses I would invalidate my warranty .... Possibly be an idea to have 2 cameras !

I take it by retrofitting differnt lenses I would invalidate my warranty .... Possibly be an idea to have 2 cameras !
Actually that site I quoted don't seem to have an exact one at 1/2.3 size, here is one more suitable, http://www.lensation.de/product/B10M7224/ , yea you can probably kiss the warranty goodbye at least on the camera anyway....you could always run it by who you got it from first to confirm they will still look other you re the wings part.
If the existing lens is focussed ok, what you could do is before you take it out is run a line of tipp-ex across the lens barrel and onto to the lens mount as an alignment mark to put it back on later. If you install the new lens just use a single wrap of the lightest plumbers tape instead of glue to keep it locked. Once you have a selection of lenses focussed with alignment marks it would just be a few minutes to switch around for different uses.

Another thing you do to maybe keep your warranty is to get a Go-Pro 4 and fit the new lens on that instead (it's the same fitting and sensor size) and just use sticky velcro to put the Go-Pro on the gimbal mounting plate, you could then use the CGO3P to line up and centre for your zoomed in GoPro.

Reactions: Luckyleaf
I received my H two weeks ago. The first time I saw my recorded video I was as upset as everyone on this forum. So I took the dive and upgraded to the 3.97mm 16MP lens. What a night and day difference it makes! I only spent 15 min playing with the focus on a 720p monitor cdmi feed from ST16. I also did the telemetry antenna mod and tested with 2, 5 and 6Dbi antennas. In a clear line of site of the H the upgrade is deftly noticeable even without any antennas installed. Next stop is a Long range mod. Here is my first video with the ActionShot handheld accessory from Yuneec with the 3.97mm lens. I have not had a chance to test out any arial shots but I'm sure any of you who know the CGO3+ can tell the difference. Please don't mind the amateur film it was a quickie for visual purposes. Also after using the handheld device it easy to see one needs a 4th axis stabilization for the gimble when running or walking. I designed and will build a Osmo like sprung connector arm using stock Yuneec parts to make camera swapping as easy as originally designed. Ill make a full tutorial once I have fabricated one unit. Here is my YouTube link of the video real from earlier today. I really have to learn to take it real slow to make smooth video at 25fps. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
I received my H two weeks ago. The first time I saw my recorded video I was as upset as everyone on this forum. So I took the dive and upgraded to the 3.97mm 16MP lens. What a night and day difference it makes! I only spent 15 min playing with the focus on a 720p monitor cdmi feed from ST16. I also did the telemetry antenna mod and tested with 2, 5 and 6Dbi antennas. In a clear line of site of the H the upgrade is deftly noticeable even without any antennas installed. Next stop is a Long range mod. Here is my first video with the ActionShot handheld accessory from Yuneec with the 3.97mm lens. I have not had a chance to test out any arial shots but I'm sure any of you who know the CGO3+ can tell the difference. Please don't mind the amateur film it was a quickie for visual purposes. Also after using the handheld device it easy to see one needs a 4th axis stabilization for the gimble when running or walking. I designed and will build a Osmo like sprung connector arm using stock Yuneec parts to make camera swapping as easy as originally designed. Ill make a full tutorial once I have fabricated one unit. Here is my YouTube link of the video real from earlier today. I really have to learn to take it real slow to make smooth video at 25fps. Let me know your thoughts.

Looks great, especially when you pan the camera (no lens distortion).

Looks great, especially when you pan the camera (no lens distortion).
Thanks, I think the $140 is a great investment. Coupled with some lens covers for different light settings I think the arial shot will be great. I plan to play around with the focus for long distance to check if there is a difference as I have read conflicting opinions about this.

I really do understand the upset about the lens and its a shame because now I see the Sony sensor is very capable with the right lens or with the tuning of the stock one. I never expected to get DJI's X5 or X5R 4K quality or control of focus as this does not hold the same price tag but with the upcoming upgradability of the H I'm glad I have joint you guys and gals in the Yuneec adventure.

As I said guys it was a quick 15 minutes out in the sun. There are no enhancements or sharpening filters used, just did simple cross dissolves in Premier. You are correct about details in the foliage. One would have to take slow shots or still shots to capture the details and depths. Again this is an arial Drone camera being used at close distance without much tweaking. From what my CGO3+was, to what it is now its a night and day difference. So I'm happy, with the results, given my intended use. I would recommend any daring individual who does not care about the "warranty" to perform this upgrade.

As I said guys it was a quick 15 minutes out in the sun. There are no enhancements or sharpening filters used, just did simple cross dissolves in Premier. You are correct about details in the foliage. One would have to take slow shots or still shots to capture the details and depths. Again this is an arial Drone camera being used at close distance without much tweaking. From what my CGO3+was, to what it is now its a night and day difference. So I'm happy, with the results, given my intended use. I would recommend any daring individual who does not care about the "warranty" to perform this upgrade.
You need to look at how out of focus your lens is on the right side of the frame. Very evident on the lower right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig