Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H height limit problem

Win 7 works fine. Sometimes the firmware file we uploading to a machine,it just happens to be corrupted for some reason (It takes only 1 byte of data for a firmware to be corrupted in some way).The solution is to reinstall these updates.This stands for every machine that use chips.
But in Typhoon case, the problem is that when u trying to upload the same firmware (either to st16 or to copter) the new update is not going to upload it self becuase it reads the same firmware number.

So the real solution is to install a different firmware to the copter and then install again the one you like.
In order to do that (becuase the software of Typhoon wont let you to downgrade firmware) is to contact with YUNEEC and they will give you a firmware file.

Last edited:
I am new here and was recently given a Typhoon H as a gift and part of its use was to be able take pictures of our property, I cannot get the properties in the picture with a limit of 400 ft. I have been researching fixes, with mixed results, I tried downloading the GUI and it won't allow me to do so on my old Windows 7. Am I just stuck with 400' limit? I have even tried to chat online with Yuneec and they always seem busy, I did not want to hijack this thread, but it came up in the forum search. Thank you for any input, and no hurry.
The camera FOV angle varies with the pixel count.
As the pixels are set higher, more of the sensor is used, so you get a wider FOV.
Try recording video at 4K and make a frame grab from the file of the wide scene you want.
If shooting stills, set the photo pixel count to its max.
This gives barrel distortion (fisheye), but you can fix that in post.

If someone who was successful at exceeding the 400' limit could create a video to specifically do this it would be very helpful. Thank you if someone could do this.

Connect the H to the GUI and change the limits in the GUI settings. When you look at the limit tables it’s self explanatory.

Download the GUI with the link above. Install it on your pc. Turn on the H and plug in the USB charging cable to the bottom of the H and then to your pc. Open the GUI and you should see the software as above.

Just to clarify for U.K. readers of PatRs text above. In the U.K. it is now law that both recreational and commercial flyers of drones must not exceed 400' height above AGL. Previous to a couple of months ago, a recreational flyer didn't have such a restriction over them...it was only advisory... but now it's compulsory. For the commercial flyer, there is the possibility of flying above 400' but only if he has been given a special PfCO to allow it under very restricted instances...and is very hard to obtain. A Standard PfCO holder is limited to 400' no matter what and no matter how near the holder is to a structure. The 400' rule in the U.K. is NOT terrain following: It is 400' above the ground that the pilot is standing on...not the nearby hill.
Actually, I don't think you are correct there. As I read it, the altitude limit is 400' above ground level. If you go to the CAA website, there is a diagram that shows this. The problem though is, after a certain firmware update, all H's are limited to around 400' and this is measured from your take off point. So it would be impossible to follow the terrain and fly up a mountain side and up and over the top of that mountain to an altitude of 400' above it because Yuneec set the limit from the take off point.

Actually, I don't think you are correct there. As I read it, the altitude limit is 400' above ground level. If you go to the CAA website, there is a diagram that shows this. The problem though is, after a certain firmware update, all H's are limited to around 400' and this is measured from your take off point. So it would be impossible to follow the terrain and fly up a mountain side and up and over the top of that mountain to an altitude of 400' above it because Yuneec set the limit from the take off point.
I agree. Last week I was updating my Ops Manual and in the course of researching for it I noticed that too. The legal height limit now appears to be terrain following whereas previously the height limit was above the ground level that the pilot was stood on.

Good news for those that would benefit from this relaxation of the rules but not so good for H owners that have been limited to 400'.

Let me clarify something else on my previous post. It now seems that if you have managed to get a permission to fly in a restriction zone at an aerodrome you may also ask that person who you obtained the permission from to fly above 400' rather than presenting a case to the CAA for permission. So, although the current legislation has been tightened up, it isn't all bad news.

Last edited:
Good news for those that would benefit from this relaxation of the rules but not so good for H owners that have been limited to 400'.
Well, mine will and I'm betting your's will as well?! And this throws up something that makes the this terrain following 400' rule so ridiculous. You could now fly from the bottom of a valley up the side of hill/mountain and fly to 400' above the top of that said hill/mountain. But if you hiked up to the top of that mountain and took off from the top, you could fly up to 400' above your take off point but as soon as you fly over the edge of the hill/mountain, you'll be breaking the law! You'd have to actually decrease your altitude to stay 400' AGL!

Well, mine will and I'm betting your's will as well?! And this throws up something that makes the this terrain following 400' rule so ridiculous. You could now fly from the bottom of a valley up the side of hill/mountain and fly to 400' above the top of that said hill/mountain. But if you hiked up to the top of that mountain and took off from the top, you could fly up to 400' above your take off point but as soon as you fly over the edge of the hill/mountain, you'll be breaking the law! You'd have to actually decrease your altitude to stay 400' AGL!
And previously exactly the opposite was the case. This new clarification brings us into line with the situation in the U.S. except that we don't benefit from being able to count buildings in to the equation.

I am aware that I can alter the max height of my TH but I'm not inclined to do so. I'll leave it as is. My Phantom's height limit is set higher so on the occasions that I need the extra height I'll use that. As it is now, I rarely fly up to 400' anyway: My best photography and video comes from flying at heights well below 400'.

Reactions: Ren57
And previously exactly the opposite was the case. This new clarification brings us into line with the situation in the U.S. except that we don't benefit from being able to count buildings in to the equation.

I am aware that I can alter the max height of my TH but I'm not inclined to do so. I'll leave it as is. My Phantom's height limit is set higher so on the occasions that I need the extra height I'll use that. As it is now, I rarely fly up to 400' anyway: My best photography and video comes from flying at heights well below 400'.
Indeed. How we are legally expected to inspect a tower or building that is over 400' in height, I just don't know.

Reactions: FlushVision
Indeed. How we are legally expected to inspect a tower or building that is over 400' in height, I just don't know.
You could apply to the CAA for a permission if outside a restriction zone. Could take a while though :(

An option might be to move to the U.S., where people try to shoot them out of the sky...

Fortunately that isn't a problem here in the U.K. We have very strict firearms regulations.

☢ WARNING DANGEROUS SIDETRACK AHEAD!☢

Reactions: timburns78

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polenutrition