Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Required Maintenance ....

Thanks for the input on the blades vr-pilot. The info I received prior was from pilot mostly using DJI product. Thanks to your info my blades will have a longer life before being retired.

liquid-bearings-100-percentage-synthetic-oil-for-all-ho-scale-slot-cars-makes-cars-faster-2-500x500.jpg

I'm glad this was brought up. I'm new to the H and I remember somewhere in the Q500 4K forums, someone suggested putting a drop of Liquid Bearings synthetic lubricant in the bearings of the motors every 30 hours of flight. Is that advisable for the H motors?

Thanks for the input on the blades vr-pilot. The info I received prior was from pilot mostly using DJI product. Thanks to your info my blades will have a longer life before being retired.
I was on CeBIT 2017 in Hanover (Germany) last week and spoke to Yuneec staff about many subjects.
While comparing the larger blades of the Typhoon H520 to the "original" Typhoon H blades, I was shown two "drillings" (left out material actually) close to the props's shaft hole (bottom side). This intentionally weakening of the blade's material close to the shaft is a predetermined breaking point in case of crashes. This is to protect the motors and other "items" and structures. There are quite some of those points to be found on the YTH and they are made to keep repairs more easy because only cheap parts have to be replaced while larger (expensive) components are protected. One more characteristic that makes the overall good concept of the Typhoon H (and H520) very clear...
BTW: I was also told that props should be replaced as soon as the "wiggling" in the prop mounting mechanism gets "obvious". This is to avoid the prop from failing, protect the structure and keep good flight characteristics. So the props should be replaced much earlier than what I actually practice!
Nevertheless I keep using my 10 original kit blades in a continuous row in order to test the overall endurance. I fly over privately owned territory as a kind of a long term test and wait (so to say) for the "5 motor modus" until one prop or motor gets problems due to prop etc. fatigue. It is sort of my own flight test programme...

liquid-bearings-100-percentage-synthetic-oil-for-all-ho-scale-slot-cars-makes-cars-faster-2-500x500.jpg

I'm glad this was brought up. I'm new to the H and I remember somewhere in the Q500 4K forums, someone suggested putting a drop of Liquid Bearings synthetic lubricant in the bearings of the motors every 30 hours of flight. Is that advisable for the H motors?
I have no idea if it is good practice to add some lubricants into the bearings.
My personal experience with brushless motors is that they can run for many years without any bearing problems (e.g. strong fan motors for device cooling like servers etc.). I don't know about drone motors, but taking into consideration that there are strong forces and vibration on the shaft, the bearings have a hard life. I don't think that additional lubricants will help to extend the life time of a bearing in this case. If a bearing ball gets imperfections lubricants can't stop the process, but that is only my thought on that.

Reactions: m5zealot
Today we flew with the Sky View FPV goggles and while being caught in the "virtual reality" I tried to locate the YTH more aurally. So I concentrated on the drone sound and noticed some irregular noises.
After landing I checked the "wiggling" of my 300 mission old props. The "wiggling" was quite obvious and I suddenly worried about ruining the motor prop mounts mechanism. So I decided today to replace my "wiggle" props and use fresh ones. And I was quite lucky to see how thight the new props "sit" on the motor mounts.
So the good news is: the motor prop mount mechanism doesn't suffer too much from prolonged use of worn props.

Reactions: Rayray
I was on CeBIT 2017 in Hanover (Germany) last week and spoke to Yuneec staff about many subjects.
While comparing the larger blades of the Typhoon H520 to the "original" Typhoon H blades, I was shown two "drillings" (left out material actually) close to the props's shaft hole (bottom side). This intentionally weakening of the blade's material close to the shaft is a predetermined breaking point in case of crashes. This is to protect the motors and other "items" and structures. There are quite some of those points to be found on the YTH and they are made to keep repairs more easy because only cheap parts have to be replaced while larger (expensive) components are protected. One more characteristic that makes the overall good concept of the Typhoon H (and H520) very clear...
BTW: I was also told that props should be replaced as soon as the "wiggling" in the prop mounting mechanism gets "obvious". This is to avoid the prop from failing, protect the structure and keep good flight characteristics. So the props should be replaced much earlier than what I actually practice!
Nevertheless I keep using my 10 original kit blades in a continuous row in order to test the overall endurance. I fly over privately owned territory as a kind of a long term test and wait (so to say) for the "5 motor modus" until one prop or motor gets problems due to prop etc. fatigue. It is sort of my own flight test programme...

I flew last night and just happened to notice the LED under one motor was giving out a "fuzzy" appearance. I realized it was because of a severely vibrating motor/prop. I landed immediately and did feel some play on the prop blade at its connection! The motor had no play at all. I replaced it with a spare (that I carry always) and it was still vibrating a little bit. I tried another prop and viola!

I flew last night and just happened to notice the LED under one motor was giving out a "fuzzy" appearance. I realized it was because of a severely vibrating motor/prop. I landed immediately and did feel some play on the prop blade at its connection! The motor had no play at all. I replaced it with a spare (that I carry always) and it was still vibrating a little bit. I tried another prop and viola!
Fair play to you.
Unless I'm on a job I never take spare props with me. My argument (to myself) is that on a recreational flight, if something has happened that requires a change of props for some reason, then it is best to take the unit home for a good inspection before the next flight. Not having a spare prop with me forces me to call it a day.

Of course, this isn't a reasonable thing to do on a job (if you want to get paid for it) so I do take spare props with me for that. Even so, if there is an issue with a prop that requires the use of a spare, then I'll try to do as close an examination as possible in the field (which is what you did) before replacing the prop and taking off again. But that's just me.

YUN00154.jpeg
Fair play to you.
Unless I'm on a job I never take spare props with me. My argument (to myself) is that on a recreational flight, if something has happened that requires a change of props for some reason, then it is best to take the unit home for a good inspection before the next flight. Not having a spare prop with me forces me to call it a day.

Of course, this isn't a reasonable thing to do on a job (if you want to get paid for it) so I do take spare props with me for that. Even so, if there is an issue with a prop that requires the use of a spare, then I'll try to do as close an examination as possible in the field (which is what you did) before replacing the prop and taking off again. But that's just me.

Why can't any good pilot make an assessment out in the field if his equipment is damaged or unrepairable?

In my case, the two props that caused the vibration were out of balanced. (I was able to verify that when I got home later in the evening and checked them on my balancer) I determined the motor was still perfectly mounted and I checked for any damage - there was none. I also checked the locking mechanism spring to assure it was not damaged. Yes I carry tools with me in my vehicles. (It's a habit since I'm an engineer/mechanic by trade) My shoots are mostly many miles from home or in non populated areas. The only time I call it quits is if it rains or I find that my machine is not safe to fly. Generally I can make that assessment and decision without having to run home. I get why you don't carry props but, in the particular incident I shared, I would have been pissed not to have them. I would have missed this beautiful sunset for sure. :D

Last edited:
In e
View attachment 5569

Why can't any good pilot make an assessment out in the field if his equipment is damaged or unrepairable?

In my case, the two props that caused the vibration were out of balanced. (I was able to verify that when I got home later in the evening and checked them on my balancer) I determined the motor was still perfectly mounted and I checked for any damage - there was none. I also checked the locking mechanism spring to assure it was not damaged. Yes I carry tools with me in my vehicles. (It's a habit since I'm an engineer/mechanic by trade) My shoots are mostly many miles from home or in non populated areas. The only time I call it quits is if it rains or I find that my machine is not safe to fly. Generally I can make that assessment and decision without having to run home. I get why you don't carry props but, in the particular incident I shared, I would have been pissed not to have them. I would have missed this beautiful sunset for sure. :D
In spring and late summer, your CA sunset becomes or EU sunrise... CA and Hawaii, nice places to be :cool:. NICE PICTURE!
But today I got my first light sunburn this year (in northern Germany) spending 2 hrs. drone flying... o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy