Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon wizard questions

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if I can only flight with the wizard without the ST16. Or do I leave the ST16 somewhere in the neighborhood?( In team mode)? I didn't try it and I don't want it before I'm sure. Thx

The wizard can be used to control the H in single mode. In team mode it is still used to fly the H and the ST16 is used to run the camera. I think there are a number of Youtube tutorials on using the wizard.

The wizard can be used to control the H in single mode. In team mode it is still used to fly the H and the ST16 is used to run the camera. I think there are a number of Youtube tutorials on using the wizard.

OK but what happens when the H get out of the wifi range of the wizard? ( Sorry I'm new hear).
Thx

Could even read the docs that came with the equipment.:D
Are you in the USA?

The wizard does not use the wifi. And if it would loose connection it should loiter and land. At least that's what mine did when I shut it off

The wizard does not use the wifi. And if it would loose connection it should loiter and land. At least that's what mine did when I shut it off
Hmmm......if it loses control signal with the wizard it should enter RTH mode. Yours did not?

Hmmm......if it loses control signal with the wizard it should enter RTH mode. Yours did not?

My bad I worded it badly the first time around. It came home, flew there for a minute then actually landed.

Reactions: Steve Carr

I don't know and I'm afraid to test. Suppose I shut down and fly away??? Then there's no control anymore. [emoji21]

I don't know and I'm afraid to test. Suppose I shut down and fly away??? Then there's no control anymore. [emoji21]
RTH is the failsafe mode for the H and the Q500. It's been tested thousands of times. If there is a GPS failure with the H it may flyaway regardless of what controller you are using. However, it is my opinion that Yuneec products have much fewer problems than other brands. Such things are actually rare but if it happens you probably couldn't stop it anyway, so just fly and enjoy the experience. And learn everything you can about your equipment.

Piggybacking on this topic.. I am planning to experiment with my wizard for the first time today.

I have read the manual and watched several youtubes; is there a way using the wand to put the typhoon in to compass calibration mode? I like to calibrate the compass on the typhoon every time I fly. From what I can tell the "down button/power button" combo on the wizard activates the compass calibration of the wizard itself.

If not is there any problem with using the ST16 to compass calibrate the typhoon and then shut off the ST16 and bind with the wizard?

Piggybacking on this topic.. I am planning to experiment with my wizard for the first time today.
I have read the manual and watched several youtubes; is there a way using the wand to put the typhoon in to compass calibration mode? I like to calibrate the compass on the typhoon every time I fly. From what I can tell the "down button/power button" combo on the wizard activates the compass calibration of the wizard itself.
If not is there any problem with using the ST16 to compass calibrate the typhoon and then shut off the ST16 and bind with the wizard?
You could certainly do it that way if you choose. There should be no need to calibrate the compass on every flight. The calibration is stored in memory and once the calibration is done correctly it won't change unless you move several hundred miles. In fact, frequent calibrations increase the likelihood of a bad calibration.

Reactions: Rayray
You could certainly do it that way if you choose. There should be no need to calibrate the compass on every flight. The calibration is stored in memory and once the calibration is done correctly it won't change unless you move several hundred miles. In fact, frequent calibrations increase the likelihood of a bad calibration.

Good to know. I'll probably dial back on my calibrations but in this case my most recent flight was on the other side of the state so I'll definitely calibrate today.

Thanks.

Good to know. I'll probably dial back on my calibrations but in this case my most recent flight was on the other side of the state so I'll definitely calibrate today.

Thanks.
Most of my flights occur within 10 or 15 miles of my base of operations so I don't calibrate the compass unless the system tells me to or if the H hasn't flown for a couple of weeks (I have another aircraft so the H480 does sometimes remain grounded for periods of time), or after a firmware update of course. The exception is when I occasionally get jobs further afield and my 'rule' for that is if I've traveled further than 40 or 50 miles away...but that is MY rule, others would have different limits.

For example, last week I was doing some flights with my H480 in Galloway (Scotland) at an area about 250 miles away from base, so I did a calibration for the first flight but non for the subsequent flights. A total of 7 flights over three different days at three different locations all within about a 30 mile area, but I only calibrated on the first day. I've not flown it since I got back but when I do I'll calibrate it again for use in my local area.

In short, unless your aircraft system demands it for whatever reason, or you are travelling distances between flights, or a period of time has elapsed between flights, there should be no reason to calibrate other than just occasionally. Indeed, as Steve Carr has mentioned above, there is evidence that too frequent calibrations can increase the likelihood of a bad calibration and a subsequent 'event' to your aircraft.

I was a little nervous at first but after hundreds of flights with the Wizard it has earned my confidence. The link seems very robust I have not had a drop out yet; I don't fly as far out as I would with the ST16 and the Wizard has plenty of range for what I do.

Early on I switched off the Wizard while in several different scenarios and in every case my H returned to within 20 ft of the last known position of the Wizard. The H doesn't return to the exact position of the Wizard it returns to about 20 ft in front of you, about the edge of the Smart Circle.

how do you know what mode the wizard is in? The button on the side doesn't really seem to lock into the specific setting.
You can download the Wizard manual Yuneec.com. The upper left status light indicates the mode: Smart, Angle, Home, Watch me, Point to Fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
essentailhoodie