Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UK Locations.

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a typhoon pro with real sense and haven't had it out in a while as folk are getting a little shirty about some of my favourite locations. I live in U.K. Near to the city of Bath and next week I am away on holiday to the New Forest area and then on to Cornwall near Looe. Does anybody know of any good locations to fly in those areas? I know it is hard to get anyone to say that a location is strictly legal as it may turn out that they are held responsible if it turns out not to be. But I guess what I'm really asking is where do people in reality fly without causing a disturbance and without upsetting other folk. I want to be sensible and responsible about this. And whilst I'm about it, is there anyone else out there with suggestions for my home location around Bath and into Wiltshire. Thank you for all your help

Hi, I live in South Glos near Tetbury and I'm having the same issue.
I sometimes work in Bath so was wondering if you can fly at the racecourse

There is Minchinampton Common but not been there yet

Hi all. I have a typhoon pro with real sense and haven't had it out in a while as folk are getting a little shirty about some of my favourite locations. I live in U.K. Near to the city of Bath and next week I am away on holiday to the New Forest area and then on to Cornwall near Looe. Does anybody know of any good locations to fly in those areas? I know it is hard to get anyone to say that a location is strictly legal as it may turn out that they are held responsible if it turns out not to be. But I guess what I'm really asking is where do people in reality fly without causing a disturbance and without upsetting other folk. I want to be sensible and responsible about this. And whilst I'm about it, is there anyone else out there with suggestions for my home location around Bath and into Wiltshire. Thank you for all your help
Hi.
I do most of my flying in the area to the North East of Manchester mainly around the Lancashire and Yorkshire boarder, so I can't comment on the areas you are speaking of. However, in my neck of the woods I can't say that I've had many negative issues with my flying...indeed only once on a flight in West Yorkshire and another time on a beach while on holiday in South West Scotland. Both times I was flying recreationally with a Phantom...zero with the TH.

On the few occasions where I think I may encounter issues I ask the land owners for consent and I've found that in the majority of instances (but not all) a permission is usually granted, especially if I offer to share any footage taken with the person who has given consent. Naturally, if it's a commercial flight on a client's property then permission to fly there is obvious.

I've found that even when doing recreational flights, looking professional helps. Even when I'm having a hobby flight I still don my high-vis vest which has my company name (FlushVision) all over it and I keep my aircraft clear of people.

If you ask a land owner for permission you will be surprised how many of them are amenable...especially if you can show them that you have at least hobby level public liability insurance and offer to share footage (note that in the U.K. Commercial insurance won't cover a hobby flight). For example, last year we were on holiday in Scotland and I wanted to do a flight over the north side of Loch Kindar near New Abbey. The north side of the Loch is not publicly accessible so I asked the farmer for permission to enter his property which he readily granted. When I offered him the footage he wanted to pay for it!!! 26 seconds of that footage is included in this showreel from time 1:54 to time 2:20

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your replies so far. I think flushvisions approach of looking professional and official must make a difference. I have approached a couple of local farm owners for permission to fly from fields that are currently lying fallow, both of whom are good acquaintances, and I approached the local school and rugby club for permission to fly from their playing fields when they are not in use but was met with 100% refusal. Everyone seems to be obsessed by the perception that drones are a means of spying or intruding upon folks privacy. Maybe I have just been unlucky.

Regarding bath racecourse I have attempted to fly at the playing fields adjacent to the park and ride near the racecourse but it is tricky to pick a time when there are few other people there. Maybe very early in the morning would work

Soon I am off to the new forest but they are now anti drone emphasising the bylaw that prohibits any model aircraft except on the beaulieu model aircraft club location but even that club tells multicopters to take a hike (I n the politest terms of course) I don't really want to flout local bylaws and thus give drone users a bad name but I have to confess I am increasingly tempted!! In a massive unoccupied area it should be perfectly easy to make sure one follows the drone code and avoids annoying any people or animals. But hey I'm still resisting that temptation for now!

Thank you so much for your replies so far. I think flushvisions approach of looking professional and official must make a difference. I have approached a couple of local farm owners for permission to fly from fields that are currently lying fallow, both of whom are good acquaintances, and I approached the local school and rugby club for permission to fly from their playing fields when they are not in use but was met with 100% refusal. Everyone seems to be obsessed by the perception that drones are a means of spying or intruding upon folks privacy. Maybe I have just been unlucky.

Regarding bath racecourse I have attempted to fly at the playing fields adjacent to the park and ride near the racecourse but it is tricky to pick a time when there are few other people there. Maybe very early in the morning would work

Soon I am off to the new forest but they are now anti drone emphasising the bylaw that prohibits any model aircraft except on the beaulieu model aircraft club location but even that club tells multicopters to take a hike (I n the politest terms of course) I don't really want to flout local bylaws and thus give drone users a bad name but I have to confess I am increasingly tempted!! In a massive unoccupied area it should be perfectly easy to make sure one follows the drone code and avoids annoying any people or animals. But hey I'm still resisting that temptation for now!
I'm not surprised that a school will refuse to give a permission. If it is an academy, then the school headmaster will probably not be in a position to grant a permission since the land will be owned by whatever company owns it and will not necessarily be the actual school. Further, It is not under the control of the council. If you want to get a permission to fly there you will have to present a case to the body that owns it...which will not necessarily be the school itself. If you look on Altitude Angel's safety map you will notice that schools are designated as sensitive areas. I do some of my testing on a school's playing fields when the school is closed for holidays. It is an academy and I obtained a permission not from the school who doesn't own the land. I got my permission from the actual land owners.

To fly from council owned land: Before a council are likely to grant a permission they will most certainly want to see adequate Public Liability Insurance and possibly a safety statement from you. Get in touch with your Parks & Recreational Services Department (or whatever they call themselves in your area) to see what hoops you have to jump through to fly from their land. Contrary to wide belief (in the U.K.) some local councils are not apposed to the flying of UAVs from their land if you can demonstrate adequate safety measures. For example, Heaton Park in Manchester is drone friendly provided that you fly within the Drone Code.

As far as I'm aware, it is legal to take off from a public footpath provided that the flight is done within the drone code. Yes, you may get some shirty person moaning but so long as you are on a public footpath I believe you are technically legal to fly from there.

Don't take this as gospel, but if someone objects to your flying and threatens to call the police, then so long as you are flying legal, let them. Don't get into an argument. Don't even acknowledge them. Fly your current battery then land. Pack up and move on. The likelihood that the police will arrive before you have long gone is fairly remote since the police have far more important things to deal with. A report of a drone flight will be fairly low on their priorities. Further, if they do arrive before you have gone and they can see you are flying legally they should leave you alone. If they see you are being a bit naughty, but not dangerous, they are more likely to just warn you not wishing to get involved with all that nasty paperwork.

In short. So long as you are not trespassing and are flying within the drone code you should be OK. Note that in the U.K. it is legal to fly over private land (I suggest not too low) but you need permission to take off from private land. Remember that some public land may be owned by the council.

If you haven't already got one, then get a High-Vis vest. Dream up a company sounding name and have it printed on the vest. Get insurance. Insurance will go a long way towards getting permissions.

In the years I've been flying multirotors I've only had two instances with people objecting.

I hope my ramblings will help you.

I live south of Bath, Yeovil. Just bought a Spark which I can fly without feeling quite so "intrusive". I flew my H down at Polzeath beach in Cornwall a few weeks ago and had a "word of advice" from some bloke. I bit my tongue and was civil so as not to give a negative impression of the sUAV community.

Try scouting out places via google maps / street view.

Safe flying and have fun!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdvaikTasteofPurity