Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

107 Recurrency Exam

Ty Pilot

One Hexy Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
copperdawg.com
I know there are a number of 107's here and many of us are coming up on the two year mark which; means it is time to hit the books so to speak.

I am not due until March but I have been looking into just what the requirements are and how they are different from the initial test. Seems like there
will be 40 questions instead of 60 and we now have 90 minutes instead of 120, but they still soak us for 150 bucks. Total BS but I digress. It seems
the process to proceed is straight forward: call you local testing center and set up a test date, take and pass the test, then keep the test results with
you until the FAA figures out what to do next? Am I missing something what have any of you read or heard?

As before I am going to self study instead of paying for an online course or school as that seemed to work out well the first time. For anyone that
wants a good source for self study I have found
Rupprecht Law to be a good source for all kinds of information and they even have a free online
recurrency test that you can take and see the answers afterwards with explanations. Doing so will show you where you need to brush up on the
different sections.

So have any of you re-upped yet? What are your plans?

Reactions: JMichael
hi Ty!

I was going to re-up over the holidays as my expiration came on the 31st (December). Looks like I am one who gets extra study time due to the reported unavailability of the testing centers to conduct the testing, at least until our current partial government shutdown is alleviated.

I have not bothered to make any official calls or contacts, so please don't vilify me if some centers are still conducting the certification testing.

I am just hoping I still qualify for the recurrent testing now that my 107 is no longer valid. Then again, the 60 question testing gives me more room for error, eh?

I just wish we would be granted some semblance of respect (if that is the word). What I mean is... how about an online recurrence test option? Yes, I get the "more money" angle. I'd still pay the $150 for an online test rather than spending four hours driving. I still have to know the material or where to find it. I also consider my word to be worth something as in declaring any testing was completed with the highest of integrity.

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

P.S. to answer your "materials" question... I plan to use the same resources I used for the initial exam. That is, the FAA web site materials and other freely available reference and practice test options. I don't think I need any additional expenditures. I am not disparaging "pay to learn" options. Whatever works for each of us, right?

Reactions: Ty Pilot
The logic regarding 107 recertification follows on from the flight review required for Part 61 pilots. That consists of a minimum of 1-hour of flight training and 1-hour of ground training, both with a CFI. Around southern California that will run you in the neighborhood of $250 to $400 depending on the type of aircraft you use. $150 is not so bad in that light.

14 CFR 61.56 - Flight review.

Last edited:
hi Ty!

I was going to re-up over the holidays as my expiration came on the 31st (December). Looks like I am one who gets extra study time due to the reported unavailability of the testing centers to conduct the testing, at least until our current partial government shutdown is alleviated.

I have not bothered to make any official calls or contacts, so please don't vilify me if some centers are still conducting the certification testing.

I am just hoping I still qualify for the recurrent testing now that my 107 is no longer valid. Then again, the 60 question testing gives me more room for error, eh?

I just wish we would be granted some semblance of respect (if that is the word). What I mean is... how about an online recurrence test option? Yes, I get the "more money" angle. I'd still pay the $150 for an online test rather than spending four hours driving. I still have to know the material or where to find it. I also consider my word to be worth something as in declaring any testing was completed with the highest of integrity.

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

P.S. to answer your "materials" question... I plan to use the same resources I used for the initial exam. That is, the FAA web site materials and other freely available reference and practice test options. I don't think I need any additional expenditures. I am not disparaging "pay to learn" options. Whatever works for each of us, right?

I am fortunate in that my test center is three miles away. I don't think the FAA has any instructions (yet) for what to do after passing the re currency other than to keep the test results with you at all times.

I'd still pay the $150 for an online test rather than spending four hours driving.
Wow. I guess I was taking it for granted that I have 3 test sites within 10 driving miles of me. I feel bad for y'all out in the middle of nowhere. But then again, I can't wait until I retire so I can move out to BFE.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Well yeah, but there is sort of a price to pay for our convenience;) Hey Jeff, does this make you feel any better? I'll trade you one day of driving to take the exam, for 364 days of living here trying to find cool places to fly. :D That's two International Airports, a few military installations, a few dozen smaller airports, Walt Disney World, oh and NASA. :cool:

MySite.jpg

I re-tested early on the day of my son’s legal birthday to take his FAA 107 on November. We both passed, and now just patiently waiting.

I sometimes fly outside of the pit, and with the new law, I’m a bit worried, so for extra precaution, I stopped in a local police station and told them about my situation, specially with the new law, and the officers was confused and didn’t even know that there was a new law concerning drones that was in effect.

Yeah, the Police are far more in the dark about UAV law than one would hope. i have a friend that is OPD and he has just a basic understanding; his main concerns as a police officer are in privacy invasion and so forth with no idea of air space.

I am fortunate in that my test center is three miles away. I don't think the FAA has any instructions (yet) for what to do after passing the re currency other than to keep the test results with you at all times.

A pilot license does not have an expiration date. With the exception of flight instructor certificates, once issued they last as long as you live. They do have currency requirements that have to be met to legally exercise pilot privileges.

The FAA does not issue a new “current” license to replace an old license where currency expired and was renewed, they place a currency notation in a pilot’s file to record currency. Currency test info is submitted by the testing agency, and recorded in a pilot’s log by an instructor with full scale. No further input is required of the pilot.

So if you have taken and passed a currency test the testing agency should have transmitted your data to the FAA, where it was recorded. The certificate you were originally provided is still valid and you will not be sent another. As log books for drone pilots are optional rather than mandatory, retaining a copy of your test results and possessing tour original “hard” certificate satisfies any legal challenges to your currency status.

If you are awaiting FAA notification of currency status you are in for a very long wait as they will not send you anything. However, you can review your FAA test results online if you need further assurance.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval