Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3.01 update trouble

I bought mine in oct. I just sent it in along with my ST16. I only flew it 2 times since I got it. I updated to the latest firmware and successfully calibrated the compass before each flight and both times I got numerous GPS and compass warnings. It was flying erratic and it also attempted to flip over after landing but I was able to shut it down before it did. I was lucky it didn't crash or fly away. I called Yuneec and they told me to send it in to be checked.

Very odd behavior. Let us know how the test goes.

I bought mine in oct. I just sent it in along with my ST16. I only flew it 2 times since I got it. I updated to the latest firmware and successfully calibrated the compass before each flight and both times I got numerous GPS and compass warnings. It was flying erratic and it also attempted to flip over after landing but I was able to shut it down before it did. I was lucky it didn't crash or fly away. I called Yuneec and they told me to send it in to be checked.
Same here...I calibrate it and I get the flashing purple/white light but after I fly a short distance I get a flashing yellow and it's a bit cheaper to get landed. I called support and they had me hook it ip to the gui. All looked good so they told me to keep trying. I've tried seven times but it won't hold a compass calibration. Had no issue before the last update. They also mentioned no software updates are pending.

OK its official this last update was a disaster before I flew on 3.0. For about 25 flights no issues .now with the new one it keeps giving gps warning and recalibrate finally took OK while flying same field as always lost video and control and flew away till i couldnt see it anymore .It regained connection when it returned to home and was almost to me. Even clitching video at 60ft away and had plenty of satilites

Last edited:
I got an email from Yuneec yesterday telling me they received my H and ST16. Hopefully in a few days they will contact and let me know the results of the testing.

after the uodate i am also getting a lot of warnings such as land aicraft immediatly in angle mode and perform calibration..or something to that effect

ignoring that the flight was decent...for hovering it moves verrrry slowly slightly ... so i dunno

this is also with RS installed

As per my previous post I shipped my H and ST16 back to Yuneec to be tested. I received an email yesterday thanking me for my order. It has and order number and tracking number. I didn't order anything from Yuneec. Below is what the email said. Now I don't know if they are shipping me a whole new H pro pack to replace the one I sent in or if they just repaired mine and are shipping it back?? Has anyone else received an email like this, with an order and tracking number, when they sent theirs in for repair??

Order Summary:

Item Qty Brief Description Amount
Typhoon H Pro RealSense™ 1 $400 Instant Rebate from $1,899.99 to $1,499.99 no Promo Code needed. Includes Intel RealSense, ST16
Transmitter, CGO3+ Camera Gimbal,Two Flight Batteries, Propellers, Charging Accessories, Wizard in Backpack. 0.00

YUNTYH116SVC 1 Typhoon H GPS Module Circuit Board (Authorized Service Use Only) $39.99

YUNTYH112SVC 1 Typhoon H Upper Cover Accessories (Authorized Service Use Only) $5.99

Discount ($45.98)
Total $0.00

I just update my H too new 3.01 firmware i i remove all flight data Did a rebind i did all the ALL the calibration in 3 more places my H was fine now im getting a compass warning also anyone know when a new update is coming out
I have an early version of the h, I did mention once before that I have never done an update and I have never had a problem with it, it appear most of the problems that arise (other than pilot error) pop up after updates, my hex does what I require, takes good photos and video so I won't bother

Just received my H back today. According to the inclosed paper work they replaced the GPS module circuit board, upper cover accessories (what ever that is) and checked that the firmware is updated to the latest version. I updated it before it was sent in. So I'm guessing they only checked the revision level to make sure it was up to date and since it was they didn't reload it to make sure it was installed correctly They also included a repair inspection check list which shows what checks and tests were done to it. The list included ground checks and a flight checks that were preformed on my H after it was repaired, before they shipped it back. I won't get a chance to fly it till some time next week to see if it's fixed.

Just received my H back today. According to the inclosed paper work they replaced the GPS module circuit board, upper cover accessories (what ever that is) and checked that the firmware is updated to the latest version. I updated it before it was sent in. So I'm guessing they only checked the revision level to make sure it was up to date and since it was they didn't reload it to make sure it was installed correctly They also included a repair inspection check list which shows what checks and tests were done to it. The list included ground checks and a flight checks that were preformed on my H after it was repaired, before they shipped it back. I won't get a chance to fly it till some time next week to see if it's fixed.

Sounds like GPS antenna needed more shielding....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, they did a 26 point check out by the paper work..I just got off the phone with them to confirm what was done because I had compass issues too and wanted to see if they changed the compass. I was told that on the H the GPS module and compass are on the same board so since they replaced the GPS module the compass was also replaced. The upper cover accessories is the upper cover. So they also changed the upper cover. I guess because it houses the GPS antenna.
Then just out of curiosity I asked him since my compass was replaced, calibrated and test flown in California and then shipped to Florida, where I live, do I have to recalibrate the compass before I fly it? He said no. Only if I have compass issues. So I'll see what happens when I fly.

Yes, they did a 26 point check out by the paper work..I just got off the phone with them to confirm what was done because I had compass issues too and wanted to see if they changed the compass. I was told that on the H the GPS module and compass are on the same board so since they replaced the GPS module the compass was also replaced. The upper cover accessories is the upper cover. So they also changed the upper cover. I guess because it houses the GPS antenna.
Then just out of curiosity I asked him since my compass was replaced, calibrated and test flown in California and then shipped to Florida, where I live, do I have to recalibrate the compass before I fly it? He said no. Only if I have compass issues. So I'll see what happens when I fly.
Good information....I'm having same problems after update. Won't hold a compass calibration. Let us know before I send mine in. They told me to keep trying to calibrate.

Good information....I'm having same problems after update. Won't hold a compass calibration. Let us know before I send mine in. They told me to keep trying to calibrate.
I bought mine Oct 5th but didn't get a chance to fly it until mid Nov. In the mean time 2 new firmware updates came out, 3.00 and 3.01, so I did the updates. I never got a chance to fly it with the original firmware that it came with so I had nothing to compare it to. When I did get the chance to fly it had the latest firmware. I only did 2 flights and calibrated the compass at the flight field before each flight. Both flights started out good for the first few minutes then I don't know if it was because the battery voltage started getting lower that I started getting numerous GPS and compass warnings and unstable flight. I was lucking nothing happened to it. I called Yuneec and told them what happened. I said I wasn't going to fly it again without being checked out. I didn't want to take the chance of a fly away or a crash. They said ok and for me to send it in to be tested. They emailed me an RMA # and prepaid return shipping label.
If you are having compass issues and you have done several compass calibrations already don't risk a crash or a fly away. If it is still under warrenty send it in. When I sent my H in I also included a detailed letter, for the tech to read, that explained the issues I was having and what I have done to try and correct them ( calibrations, firmware updates, etc ).

Reactions: harleyryder

SOP is compass calibration recommended when new location is over 100 miles from original. You had compass issues. Why would you not do it before you fly first time post repair? It cannot hurt to do it again. I don't believe you will find pilots on this forum who would neglect to recalibrate post a warranty return despite what a person said at Yuneec.

Ok. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. I am just trying to understand and learn the need or reason to constantly calibrate the H compass all the time. I was curious so I called Yuneec support a while back to find out what type of compass system the H has. Is it magnetic, electronic or does it use GPS to find it's heading? The tech told me that the H uses a magnetic compass. So my question is if you correctly and successfully calibrate your H compass and you do not add anything to your H that will effect it why would you need to recalibrate it every time you fly or if your location changes by more that 100 miles from your original location? Again, I'm not being sarcastic but do you recalibrate (swing) the magnetic compass on your boat if you go more than 100 miles from your home to marina? If you are a private pilot do you recalibrate (swing) the magnetic or standby compass on the aircraft every time you land at a different airport or state more than 100 miles away? No you don't so why would you have to do it to the magnetic compass in the H? Just trying to understand or learn why?
My first drone was the Q500 that I bought over 2 years ago. I knew nothing about drones and I flew it right out of the box and still to this day I have never done a compass calibration. Even after firmware updates. I have never had any flight issues with it or compass problems at all and it is still flying rock solid till this day.
It seems to be the new firmware causing all these compass problems because that seems to be when they start after the update to the latest firmware. With all the new features and capabilities they designed into the H maybe there is a design issue (EMI) that is causing interferance with the compass system that no amount of calibration will fix or maybe the compass manufacturer has a bad product?

Ok. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. I am just trying to understand and learn the need or reason to constantly calibrate the H compass all the time. I was curious so I called Yuneec support a while back to find out what type of compass system the H has. Is it magnetic, electronic or does it use GPS to find it's heading? The tech told me that the H uses a magnetic compass. So my question is if you correctly and successfully calibrate your H compass and you do not add anything to your H that will effect it why would you need to recalibrate it every time you fly or if your location changes by more that 100 miles from your original location? Again, I'm not being sarcastic but do you recalibrate (swing) the magnetic compass on your boat if you go more than 100 miles from your home to marina? If you are a private pilot do you recalibrate (swing) the magnetic or standby compass on the aircraft every time you land at a different airport or state more than 100 miles away? No you don't so why would you have to do it to the magnetic compass in the H? Just trying to understand or learn why?
My first drone was the Q500 that I bought over 2 years ago. I knew nothing about drones and I flew it right out of the box and still to this day I have never done a compass calibration. Even after firmware updates. I have never had any flight issues with it or compass problems at all and it is still flying rock solid till this day.
It seems to be the new firmware causing all these compass problems because that seems to be when they start after the update to the latest firmware. With all the new features and capabilities they designed into the H maybe there is a design issue (EMI) that is causing interferance with the compass system that no amount of calibration will fix or maybe the compass manufacturer has a bad product?
I agree. I've been to Vermont from Fla. twice and never calibrated the compass. I didn't calibrate the compass after updates and had no issues. It was only after this last update that i began to have issues with it holding a calibration. Yuneec also told me no need to calibrate unless you get the yellow flashing light. But then again they tell you to calibrate in their support video.

Agree with the 500 but it's basically a better Blade quad as Yuneec and horizon are linked. You could see the crossover happen last year with Choma basically being a lesser Q500. The GPS antennas are definitely better now and find and lock quicker. I have 3 350qx quads that I fly for fun still. Two are on original firmware, one is on V3. While initializing compass calibration on them was different, once started, the flipping was the same. But they always said take a compass with you because you had to face north on start.
This part is now absent from the H procedure but I still do it. So calibration is gathering information to store and hold on a chip. The compass board on the 350 would fail and it was a stock and easily replaced part. With the H, Intel got involved, its over engineered and gets easily confused and cross talk between GPS and stored compass data becomes conflicted in flight and essentially corrupts that stored bearing. It over thinks too much. The Q500 is dumber so it's less prone to problems of overly sensitive reactions to odd data. It could be the compass itself but my bets on the logic and programming because of the fixing or worsening of problems when firmware is updated. It's all the autonomous flight features that make it have to behave differently plus the relationship of controllers. The ST10 is not capable of anything but running the 500 but the 16 has editing and programming points that can be compromised with mistaken fiddling.

I don't think there is one unifying problem. Maybe Pats crash will yield the missing piece of the puzzle and they will find where the code crashes and data stops being properly held and interpreted.

Best bet for now is when in doubt, calibrate everything before you launch especially if you fly multiple batteries without much rest in between.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold