Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3rd flight and J1 fails

Reaction score
Frist two flights on different days went perfect. 3rd flight wanting to take it up out behind our office for some video shots... and everything started up fine and locked in with 20 SAT and ready to go. Moved the throttle up and nothing! back to center and moved it up again nothing, Typhoon just sitting there idle spinning. Then not touching any sticks it starts revving up on its own and lifting up a tad and makes hop towards me. I did a CSC control to stop the motors as this is what I'm used to kill the motors. But before the motors stopped it flipped on its end and broke 2 props. Pisser! packed it up went back home checked it out and found the J1 stick control not even working to barely working like molasses. Flipping ST16 controller POS...I don't blame the drone itself at this point. Also the controller makes a wining noise when tilted. Anyways scraped up a couple arm ends and my ego...

It will be nice when these drone companies get this quality pinned down. Making me a little gun shy having something like this up in the air not knowing if its going to work or not now...good lord!

Frist two flights on different days went perfect. 3rd flight wanting to take it up out behind our office for some video shots... and everything started up fine and locked in with 20 SAT and ready to go. Moved the throttle up and nothing! back to center and moved it up again nothing, Typhoon just sitting there idle spinning. Then not touching any sticks it starts revving up on its own and lifting up a tad and makes hop towards me. I did a CSC control to stop the motors as this is what I'm used to kill the motors. But before the motors stopped it flipped on its end and broke 2 props. Pisser! packed it up went back home checked it out and found the J1 stick control not even working to barely working like molasses. Flipping ST16 controller POS...I don't blame the drone itself at this point. Also the controller makes a wining noise when tilted. Anyways scraped up a couple arm ends and my ego...
It will be nice when these drone companies get this quality pinned down. Making me a little gun shy having something like this up in the air not knowing if its going to work or not now...good lord!
It's not uncommon to see sticks get sluggish and not react correctly. Some pilots check the sticks with Hardware Monitor before each flight and some check once a month.
In any case, the stick potentiometer needs cleaned to work properly. You can do it yourself or send it back to Yuneec but that could be a 30 day turn around.
The noise you hear is one of the fans. There are two which you can see on the bottom of the ST. One blows air in and the other is exhaust. One of my ST's does the same thing but it keeps on going.

If you do elect to send it to Yuneec, see if they will cross ship and new controller so you won't have so much down time.

It's not uncommon to see sticks get sluggish and not react correctly. Some pilots check the sticks with Hardware Monitor before each flight and some check once a month.
In any case, the stick potentiometer needs cleaned to work properly. You can do it yourself or send it back to Yuneec but that could be a 30 day turn around.
The noise you hear is one of the fans. There are two which you can see on the bottom of the ST. One blows air in and the other is exhaust. One of my ST's does the same thing but it keeps on going.

If you do elect to send it to Yuneec, see if they will cross ship and new controller so you won't have so much down time.

Yeah thanks for the suggestions...I think I will be the one who will from now on check hardware monitor before every flight because of this. Preflight check list "Hardware Monitor Controls"

Yeah thanks for the suggestions...I think I will be the one who will from now on check hardware monitor before every flight because of this. Preflight check list "Hardware Monitor Controls"
Seems like I see this on a few new machines. I think it's because they sit in a warehouse for a few months without use and the potentiometers get a glaze of oxidation on them. It's exactly the same thing that happens to the volume control on a radio. There are some previous posts on the subject if you elect to do your own fix.

Seems like I see this on a few new machines. I think it's because they sit in a warehouse for a few months without use and the potentiometers get a glaze of oxidation on them. It's exactly the same thing that happens to the volume control on a radio. There are some previous posts on the subject if you elect to do your own fix.

I think Yuneec needs to start using better quality components to put in their RC is my .02 it worked fine for the first few flights. I have a couple of toy drone RC's that never ever gave me a lick of problems. Seems like when we buy into the expensive stuff is when we see the QC issues and problems. Guess if I want the dependability I should stick with the toys! LOL

I hope one of your office workers didn't spill coffee or Coke on it.

No matter, use a cleaning method previously posted by Steve: "If you ever had an old radio with a scratchy volume control, it's exactly the same. The same thing can occur with the sticks. Just pick up some safe-for-plastic electrical contact cleaner at an automotive store."

And no, you should not have had to do this. I have 3 TH sets, one for over a year with many flights, never a stick problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apalomba