Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

400 ft or 1000 ft ? UK drone law 2018

Reaction score
Found this site / page earlier, which I think is giving erroneous advice about UK drone law, right ? This bit...

Drones weighing more than 250kg (sic!) must not be flown above 400ft, unless they are using FPV, in which case they may not go above 1000ft. Drones must not be flown within 1km of airports, airfields and all No Fly Zones.

Ignoring the kg / grams error, I thought drones were specifically not included in the 1000 ft FPV exemption. Who's right here, 'cause if it's not me I want to know about it !?

It just shows the mess the CAA made of adding drone specific clauses into the ANO. Up until July it was still perfectly legal for a hobbyist to fly their sub-7kg drone at any altitude, as they had forgotten to copy the 7kg sub-clause forbidding +400ft flight.

Back to your topic, I beleive 1000ft for FPV is factually correct, but perhaps a little more nuanced. I'll let others confirm that though

Back to your topic, I beleive 1000ft for FPV is factually correct, but perhaps a little more nuanced. I'll let others confirm that though
It is correct but only if you have special permission to do so. Agreed, the new rules are a complete mess. And just not necessary. There are helicopters that are allowed to land in football stadiums and then crash onto the stadium car park killing 5 people on take off.. A few seconds later and it would've been over houses. God knows how many more people might've lost their lives then? But hey, let's regulate the s**t out of drones, they are the real danger. And what would happen if my Typhoon H dropped from a hundred feet onto some residential roof. A cracked roof tile maybe and a smashed up Typhoon H?

Last edited:
Reactions: AeroJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tatdale2