Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A drone to monitor fencing and woodland - suggestions welcome

Yes, I don't know what to make of the difference. Stupid question I hate to ask a seasoned operator, but is the front of the RS unit free from scratches, dust and fingerprints?
There's only one way to find out!;)

Okay, my bad on this one, I didn't read your post correctly at first.:oops:
You stated you do NOT have RS, my eyes went right past "Do not". The difference we are seeing between us here is Obstacle Avoidance vs RealSense. Oh well, at least well it's a graphic demonstration of the different abilities.

Meanwhile I'll go clean the dust and fingerprints off my glasses!o_O

Reactions: AH-1G
Again thanks for the pics, especially the latter ones and the time taken to give me an insight. Much appreciated.
My conclusions from this is that maybe I'd go for views from the outside of the wood and canopy - in leaf the branches would be obvious, but in winter an odd branch here or there could be problematic if trying to navigate within the wood.
Is my solution to fly the H in the surrounding fields at around 5-6ft off ground and 30ft away from fencing - assuming this would make the fencing visible to me - the best option? And so RS has no relevance to my purchase decision?
I would also add that an added attraction of the H Pro is the controller - I'm one of those rare individuals who does not have a mobile phone - and does not want one. The visual display on the controller I feel is superior to any smart phone link. And the Yuneec is superior to alternativeswith such displays , even though that comes at a price.
Thanks again for all the help/input.

Again thanks for the pics, especially the latter ones and the time taken to give me an insight. Much appreciated.
My conclusions from this is that maybe I'd go for views from the outside of the wood and canopy - in leaf the branches would be obvious, but in winter an odd branch here or there could be problematic if trying to navigate within the wood.
Is my solution to fly the H in the surrounding fields at around 5-6ft off ground and 30ft away from fencing - assuming this would make the fencing visible to me - the best option? And so RS has no relevance to my purchase decision?
I would also add that an added attraction of the H Pro is the controller - I'm one of those rare individuals who does not have a mobile phone - and does not want one. The visual display on the controller I feel is superior to any smart phone link. And the Yuneec is superior to alternativeswith such displays , even though that comes at a price.
Thanks again for all the help/input.
5 to 6 feet high you would easily see the fence from a 30ft distance.

Reactions: snappy
Something else to consider is the physical aspect. If the fence line is great in length and located on difficult terrain you will be doing a considerable amount of walking while following the aircraft. You’ll also need multiple batteries that will have to be carried. Although 5 or 6 batteries and a means to carry them does not sound like much, over time and distance they can become quite a nuisance.

As you mentioned sheep you already know they can spook easily with new sounds and their will to live can be weak. You will need to spend some time acclimating them to the sound of the aircraft to avoid flock “panic attacks”.

Have you thought about getting a horse?

Love the horse suggestion!! Sheep are very robust and a real pain as they constantly try to sleep and crap on my drive. I deliberately go out and try to spook them. Eventually they become trained to stay off the drive. One of the advantages of the drone could be to spook them further. (An electric fence works too - but that becomes a problem for me too as I have to cross the drive with it.) I've had these sheep problems for 20yrs. Never found they are harmed by any action - including 9000 volts - but the latter does give me a sense of pleasure! And probably 5-10 times a year I free them from the fencing - before my dogs can get to them. But I feel it would be a lot easier to spot them with a drone.
Regarding fence length - it's not really that great - and I'd have thought the real problem areas could be covered by a drone quite quickly - before I set out everyday to walk the dogs in the wood I scan the fenceline as best I can. There are a couple of the more distant areas - maybe 250-400yds away in different directions - that I cannot see. But I know the habits of the sheep in those areas. It's just that whereas I cannot see, a drone could - and as this fencing is about 150ft below my home I would prefer to use the drone. Another area is the opposite way and uphill. Again I would look to use a drone. With waymarking as suggested above I thought my task would be easier. Am I really likely to need more than one batt for this? I'd have thought it would take only 5-10mins. A drone doesn't have the huff and puff I would suffer on the uphill journey and so would be much quicker than me I hope!

Snappy, have you looked at the screen image on the ST16? It's not very high resolution and tends to pixelate if reception is poor. The images posted above are most likely the high-resolution images from the microSD card out of the drone.

It sounds like you are anxious to try out your plan and have some flying fun at the same time. This could be a good use for RealSense.

Thanks for comment Rubik - I realise the screen is small - 7" - and probably poorish quality but at least it's bigger than many others. The biggest problem might be in spotting winter branches laying on my fencing.
As an aside I wondered whether the Skyview FPV googles might be a good solution.

Thanks for comment Rubik - I realise the screen is small - 7" - and probably poorish quality but at least it's bigger than many others. The biggest problem might be in spotting winter branches laying on my fencing.
As an aside I wondered whether the Skyview FPV googles might be a good solution.
Yes, FPV goggles would improve your view of the WiFi video signal. However, that's another piece of equipment to store, keep charged up, carry around and put on to use. At the very least, you can get a better viewing shield for the screen. There are posts on this forum for some commercial products.

I fabricated my own viewing shield out of a cardboard box, painted it black and attached it to the Yuneec folding shield. I added cheap reading glasses to allow my old eyes to focus while holding the viewer up close to my face. These things greatly improve your view of the screen in daylight and allow immediate looking up at the drone flying. There's also a cut-out on the lower side to allow access to the touch screen. Here's what my home-made viewing shield looks like:

DSC08319-1.jpg

Thanks again for taking trouble to respond and displaying your viewing shield. I accept FPV googles become yet one more piece of equipment. (I also worry if the lack of adjustment to focus might make them problematic should ones eyes have a different point of focus.)

From my reading, partly between the lines... Some of your desired functions / intentions sound more full autonomous, like a robotic scout performing a survey flight path launched by you while remaining in a stationary position. Allowing the craft to perform the boundary loop flight path pretty much unassisted while you watch through the monitor (screen or FPV) and visually inspect fence line & sheep. More like you’re in a side passenger seat while you give attention to your livestock production and the drone intelligently flies the route.

I’d agree the CCVT on fence would provide a good consistent daily viewpoint, if you had enough cameras positioned to provide ample overlap over the 30 ac perimeter. Not sure if cost would be lower or higher, that would depend on hardware and quantity... my guess is higher. From someone that used horseback, 4x4 rigs & atv to inspect cattle, calfs & fence... in the brush, rolling hills, creeks, and tree’s shadows the visiual often needed to be almost next to fence line at times for a clear understanding; horseback was usually best option but most costly for time, care and maintence. Unlike a building structure or mowed terrain, the CCVT would probably miss a lot due to terrain and foliage.

I’m sure after 20 yrs, you’ve tried multiple options and atv’s... was brush too thick or uneven for atv? I can easily understand your desire to automate, it’s a chore to perform daily.

Personally, I don’t see the usefulness to walk & fly a drone through the brush or pasture, over & under tree lines... you’ll miss a lot on screen while visually watching the drone or watching where you’re walking... and your visual inspection would probably be better than video as you’re walking. Coverage of the 30ac boarder fence will be much slower than simply walking it when you add in the landings, battery swaps, getting flight ready for take off, and the normal array of issues that can occur with a drone on multiple battery mission.

Not sure what it’d entail, but I’d consider cleaning the fence line back to trail width, cutting back foliage at fence and ziping around border on an atv, hauling fence repair tools and livestock misc tools... livestock quickly adapt and learn it’s you on machinery.

A Drone might work if doing multiple sectional flight’s while jumping to each section via atv or truck.. this might be more productive than walking.

To accomplish a full robotic like autonomous flight, you’d need to spend the time walking the route while manually flying and recording desired route; develope and record a very close / multiple points and altitudes so there isn’t any route smoothing curves mixed into route. I haven’t used it, but you might check out Tuna’s autonomous program for the ST16... several on this site can give detailed insight on app.
After creating this mission, you probably could take a center zone field position and fly the route. Although I’d be surprised if you could consistently fly the route without issue due to branches & wind.

Another option, even more costly but easier autonomous flight to create. Utilize an IR Thermo camera and fly above tree top. Yuneec is bringing out a new higher 320 & 640 resolution Thermo camera... although I believe it’s for the H520 & Typhoon Plus platforms. This would give a dual camera perspective and provide dawn/dusk improved visibility before livestock began to move, easier for thermo to pickup, especially when above trees which challenge IR Thermo sensors.

The ‘ole manual walk is time consuming, but hard to beat.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430