Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

aircraft battery voltage

Reaction score
Im a newbie at flying the q500t typhoon..i know a little about the aircraft battery voltage..the safe voltage is 12.6 in that area..can anyone please tell me what the danger voltage to land the aircraft..i dont wanna be a ways away and i get a warning all of a sudden..or how much time do i have before i have to land it when i receive a warning

Im a newbie at flying the q500t typhoon..i know a little about the aircraft battery voltage..the safe voltage is 12.6 in that area..can anyone please tell me what the danger voltage to land the aircraft..i dont wanna be a ways away and i get a warning all of a sudden..or how much time do i have before i have to land it when i receive a warning
I like getting him back around home when I see 11.8...that still gives me a couple minutes for a buffer...now, that's my batteries...yours may be different so don't take my number as gospel

12.6 volts is your optimum charged voltage.
At 10.8 (+/-.1) volts you will get you warnings to land and you'll want to do that on the spot right away.Wherever the quad is at the time. I've had as much as a minute and a half and as little as 30 seconds and watched it fall from the sky. Flight "time" on a battery is not a good gauge as to how far you should go. Wind, speed and other factors all play a roll in how long your battery will last on that flight. At 11 volts, you'll want to be back home and ready to land.
Happy flying,
Jafo

I like getting him back around home when I see 11.8...that still gives me a couple minutes for a buffer...now, that's my batteries...yours may be different so don't take my number as gospel
Sorry for the post of 11.8...should have read 10.8 on the controller..when I test my batteries before and after charging using a multi meter the reading is a lot different than what the controller says

The first warning (vibration) basically says you are down to 25%. You should be on your way back, I almost always hit the return to home. Depending on how far you have traveled you should be able to get back, the Q can and will fly faster than you. Just give it a little help by turning your speed to rabbit. Now if you get the second vibration and you can see your drone, it's not landing on anything go ahead and get it down. The second warning is at 15%.. Let the battery cool down to room temps. Don't make a habit of this because these batteries can explode,or will not hold a good charge. But the more you cycle them the Better they get, fly safe

The first warning (vibration) basically says you are down to 25%. You should be on your way back, I almost always hit the return to home. Depending on how far you have traveled you should be able to get back, the Q can and will fly faster than you. Just give it a little help by turning your speed to rabbit. Now if you get the second vibration and you can see your drone, it's not landing on anything go ahead and get it down. The second warning is at 15%.. Let the battery cool down to room temps. Don't make a habit of this because these batteries can explode,or will not hold a good charge. But the more you cycle them the Better they get, fly safe
How do you fly when ever you are high up..do you come straight down or you have togo at an angle then come down

Sorry but I disagree.
You'll get your first warning at about 10.8 volts (3.6v/cell) and that's about 5% of the battery left to try and get home on. Not nearly enough if your out any distance at all. I say again, when you get that warning you want to land right away.Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge 2S - 6S Packs.JPG

Reactions: AJDroneOn
How do you fly when ever you are high up..do you come straight down or you have togo at an angle then come down
I have own my Q since Apr 2015. I have blown up two batteries because I didn't bring them back up to at least 45-50% storage percent. Some recommend up to 60%. No matter what don't just Leave them discharged. I come home lots of different ways but I always put my slider to rabbit mode. I like return to home cause the Q will fly faster than you, then when overhead I flip back to angle and come straight down to bout 15-20ft and hover til I get into my landing position. Now you do what you want, I do.. Sorry I need to add this, the more you cycle these batteries the better they will do. The 500+ is susposed to start a landing sequence if there is no input for 3 seconds at 10.7 volts. If you are RTH then you can see lower before the Q lands. Fly safe.

Last edited:
Sorry but I disagree.
You'll get your first warning at about 10.8 volts (3.6v/cell) and that's about 5% of the battery left to try and get home on. Not nearly enough if your out any distance at all. I say again, when you get that warning you want to land right away.View attachment 1621
Jafo the chart is a guide. It is not the gospel. If you have a few flight,25-30, you will notice how much better it flys than earlier. You might even get 15-18 minutes. Now I'm not telling to go below 10 volts on a regular basis cause if you do it regularly you will hurt the Lipo. Power management is the buzz word here. Just like the fuel tank in your car. You Don't run it empty do you?

You seem to be well versed on battery maintenance. I am very green, bought a HiTec X2 Plus and having difficulty understanding the different settings. I'm hoping I don't blow up battery while trying to figure things out. I have the two Yuneec 5400 batteries and one Venom 7100 battery. At the moment I am running a discharge to storage mode. The battery has been fully charged for two months because I didn't know anything about it. So I'm bringing it down to storage which I believe is 11.1 volts. Does the charger shut off automatically when it gets there ? It now is reading 11.82 a slow decent. It has been running 82 minutes. I don't know if this is normal?

You seem to be well versed on battery maintenance. I am very green, bought a HiTec X2 Plus and having difficulty understanding the different settings. I'm hoping I don't blow up battery while trying to figure things out. I have the two Yuneec 5400 batteries and one Venom 7100 battery. At the moment I am running a discharge to storage mode. The battery has been fully charged for two months because I didn't know anything about it. So I'm bringing it down to storage which I believe is 11.1 volts. Does the charger shut off automatically when it gets there ? It now is reading 11.82 a slow decent. It has been running 82 minutes. I don't know if this is normal?
I believe it is normal for batteries to discharge slowly...possibly a 1amp discharge rate...when I first learned this I thought grass grew faster

Thank you, another quicky, the charger I bought is 100 watt. When I went through the menu it says channel A is set at 50 watts. I think that's the way you leave it when charging two batteries but if your only doing one battery to you switch it to 100 W?
Also I'm not sure if when you set the charge rate whether you set it for 5.4 since it's a 5400 mah battery. Did I read that Yuneec says its 5400 but it's really 6000. Or something like that. Does it mean that I continue to set charge rate at 5.4 or is it something different. I have a venom 7100 battery so is it correct that I set the charge rate at 7.1? I've been studying this battery stuff all day and sometimes I feel like I am gonna cry.

Thank you, another quicky, the charger I bought is 100 watt. When I went through the menu it says channel A is set at 50 watts. I think that's the way you leave it when charging two batteries but if your only doing one battery to you switch it to 100 W?
Also I'm not sure if when you set the charge rate whether you set it for 5.4 since it's a 5400 mah battery. Did I read that Yuneec says its 5400 but it's really 6000. Or something like that. Does it mean that I continue to set charge rate at 5.4 or is it something different. I have a venom 7100 battery so is it correct that I set the charge rate at 7.1? I've been studying this battery stuff all day and sometimes I feel like I am gonna cry.
Viking, I don't know what charger you have...I have a 80watt, 2 channel charger...I can set either channel anywhere up to 7 amps per channel...it will also charge 5 different types of batteries...2 different types at the same time if needed(1 each per channel)...the older Yuneec batteries are marked 5400mAh but are actually 6300 so you would charge at 6.3 amps...and for your 7100 venom, yes, 7.1 amps...hope this helps

Thanks chewman. I have a HiTec X2 AC Plus. Reading the specs on box it says this is a AC 100 watt charge circuit power. I think when hooking this up to a 54oo mah battery the setting is set at 50watts per Channel. Is this correct when charging two batteries so that each channel would say 50w? How about if your only charging one battery. Do you set it at 50w or to you change it to 100w. I'm thinking it ps always 50 right? What happens if you make a mistake and it's set at 100w?.

I forgot to mention the 5400 mAh Yuneec batteries that came with the Q500 were purchased 3 months ago so when you say Yuneecs older batteries were marked wrong at 6300 mAh am I ok with these being 5400 mAh.

On another note, first, forgive me for so many questions. I am very new and just trying to make such I fully understand. I'm not sure I understand what a full or max charge is when setting the charger. I've only worked the charger once yesterday and I figured out how to put the batter in storage mode. But when I charge them up again what do I set the charger at. How do I know what the max charge is? Is it the 11.1 that is written on the battery? Is the 7100 venom battery highest voltage setting what it says on the battery? It says 12.6v. Is that it's max charge? Does the charger know this and shut off automatically?
I just hear all these horror stories and don't want a face full of battery acid or LiPo stuff what ever that is.
Lastly, I don't know if this charger goes to 7.1 oh wait! Yes I think I tried that yesterday. It does. Now when charging two batteries I think so some one told me you double the charge rate so two 5400s become 10.8 is this right? Now can I charge one 5400 battery and the venom 7100 battery at the same time? And if so is the charge rate 12.5 volt. Is this correct.

I really thank you lots for helping me

Thanks chewman. I have a HiTec X2 AC Plus. Reading the specs on box it says this is a AC 100 watt charge circuit power. I think when hooking this up to a 54oo mah battery the setting is set at 50watts per Channel. Is this correct when charging two batteries so that each channel would say 50w? How about if your only charging one battery. Do you set it at 50w or to you change it to 100w. I'm thinking it ps always 50 right? What happens if you make a mistake and it's set at 100w?.
Viking...find your amp setting and charge that way...I don't charge in watts...for maximum amps for charging a battery, move the decimal point one place to the right...for a 5400mAh battery you would charge at 5.4amps...for your 7100mAh battery, charge at 7.1amps...my charger has a memory so it's pretty hard to set it too high once you take your time and set it up proper the first time...maybe your charger has a memory??

I forgot to mention the 5400 mAh Yuneec batteries that came with the Q500 were purchased 3 months ago so when you say Yuneecs older batteries were marked wrong at 6300 mAh am I ok with these being 5400 mAh.

On another note, first, forgive me for so many questions. I am very new and just trying to make such I fully understand. I'm not sure I understand what a full or max charge is when setting the charger. I've only worked the charger once yesterday and I figured out how to put the batter in storage mode. But when I charge them up again what do I set the charger at. How do I know what the max charge is? Is it the 11.1 that is written on the battery? Is the 7100 venom battery highest voltage setting what it says on the battery? It says 12.6v. Is that it's max charge? Does the charger know this and shut off automatically?
I just hear all these horror stories and don't want a face full of battery acid or LiPo stuff what ever that is.
Lastly, I don't know if this charger goes to 7.1 oh wait! Yes I think I tried that yesterday. It does. Now when charging two batteries I think so some one told me you double the charge rate so two 5400s become 10.8 is this right? Now can I charge one 5400 battery and the venom 7100 battery at the same time? And if so is the charge rate 12.5 volt. Is this correct.

I really thank you lots for helping me
If you have the white batteries, check the # in the upper right corner...if it says YUNQ500105 then they are 6300mAh...they were labeled wrong...the 11.1 on the battery is the voltage for storage mode...12.6 volts is the maximum charge...if your charger is set up properly it will not charge any higher than that...my charger shuts off on it's own...check your manual to see if your does...two 5400s does not make a 10.8...if you want to charge both at the same time then each channel would be charging at 5.4 amps...and yes, you should be able to charge your 7100 on one channel while you are charging one of your 5400s on the other channel...get to know the charger manual and I am sure you will do fine...don't be afraid of Lipos, just respect them

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal