Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Albino Alligator?

I'll stick my face in the water and see?
My brother-in-law and I were in South Florida in mid-February for the heat wave. We are from the Pacific Northwest which was still reeling from a heavy snow fall. :oops::cool:
We saw several gators in the wild in the Everglades. One large one swam right next to our air-boat. The water was murky so we couldn't see deeper than a few inches. The alligator swam with his nose and eyes out of the water the whole time. The submerged body that we could see appeared dark.
The animal in your photos doesn't look like alligator to me, but I'm certainly not an expert.
We also saw a Manatee swimming right next to the dock we were standing on in Flamingo. Again, the water was so murky that we couldn't see the body more than a couple inches below the surface. We couldn't see it's profile but we could see that it was light colored.
Definitely not a manatee.
For the last 30 to 40 years there have rarely been any boats out here. Usually myself and maybe one or two other boats in a given week.
Its more of a wildlife sanctuary now.
Nice to be the only boat in this huge lake, it's nice and peaceful.

Last edited:
I can see it now hovering my H 2 feet above the water to take a few alligator shots. I blink my eyes and the H is gone. The camera briefly shows a huge ribbed tunnel and then the screen goes black LOL

Reactions: AH-1G
Wondering if you actually got a croc? They're typically lighter than an alligator. Dunno if they get as far north as St. John's though? Could be a reason for Florida F&W to be interested since northern croc sightings are fairly rare.

just my 0.02 dollars worth.

Not a bad thought. Next week sometime I'll swing by and see if they have come up with an answer.
Weather not good flying for next couple of days.
Maybe going snorkeling to find it?

Reactions: biltno
I have to admit, I haven't. You're right, they have to be a bit.?

Charging up a couple of batteries, going out to see if I can find the little critter?

I have to admit, I haven't. You're right, they have to be a bit.?
How about the guys that go out in a 6ft aluminum boat and catch 10 and 12 gators by roping and hauling them on the boat. They make it look easy stopping those frightening creatures from taking thier limbs off with a roll of electric tape. Not for me!!

It’s my understanding that gators are very weak “opening” their jaws....the tremendous bite pressure is on the downward swing, so to speak.....

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Well, I didn't see my pet today, but did manage to get a close up of my sister-in-law floating.
I'm 17 feet above.
this pic is not zoomed.
YUN00003.mp4_000012846.png

Last edited:
Ok here is the 30 seconds of the what ever it is?
I'm rotating my camera looking for an alligator that was on the surface, not knowing this beast was there.
I'm at 37 or 39 feet when this was taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luftdrone.dk
After talking with AH about the height of his flying and the type of lens he has I have made some calculations as to sizes of the gator pictured above (post 32) and in the video. He has one of the early (97 degree lenses) on his H and flying at 17 feet in the picture in post #32 above. That would mean the frame is showing roughly 39 feet from side to side and 22 feet top to bottom making that about a nine to ten foot gator.

In the video he was flying double the height and maybe a little more so at 34 feet that would be 78' x 44' and a little higher at 38 feet maybe as much as 85' x 48' feet. Pausing the video at 15 seconds you can see the body length is about one sixth of the frame height or about eight feet as near as I can tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jal7884 and AH-1G
What an amazing accidental capture. It seems you now have a mission for the summer. Can't wait till you catch him on film again. Thanks for sharing and for hiding the location from the public.

Reactions: AH-1G
I was flying yesterday to capture video of alligators. After reviewing the footage at home, to my surprise and again my wife pointed out, the possibility of an albino alligator?

1st picture normal alligator at surface, note how dark the body is and the portion slightly submersed, the darkness there.
2nd and 3 pick, Albino gators body is not dark.

Since my wife and I help with research at a certain lake (See post # 5), we know at 1 foot 6 inches below the surface it's impossible to see anything. That's how murky the water is.

I ran the pics through Lightroom to clear up pixel noise, and then cropped to get a closer look.
Alligator was swimming from North to South then South/Southeast.
The video was captured around 3:30ish pm with a slightly hazy sky condition 04/06/2019

Opinions?

View attachment 15737
View attachment 15739

View attachment 15741
There aren't any albino alligators. There are leucistic alligators though, and even then there are only 12 known in the world (but not necessarily in captivity).
It will sure be interesting to see what FWC or SJWD will say about it. If it truly is a leucistic alligator, they'll catch it and take it to Gatorland or Everglades Holiday Park.
Please keep us posted!

How long did you see it after filming it? I was wondering, do alligators swim upside down right below the surface then spin upright when looking for food?
Lol! No, but they will go into what is called a "death roll" if they have caught something too big to kill instantly. But since there's video, a death roll would be obvious to see.

Lol! No, but they will go into what is called a "death roll" if they have caught something too big to kill instantly. But since there's video, a death roll would be obvious to see.
Do you do wildlife photography?

Reactions: PhotoGuy
Do you do wildlife photography?
Sorry it's taken me so long to answer. But, yes! I do! Alligators are one of my most photographed subjects. I have a whole wall in my office dedicated to my gator pics!! Lol! I just got back from camping in the northern Everglades yesterday. I can fly there; can't fly in the main part of the Everglades, though, because it's a national park.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33