Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Am I too cautious?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Typhoon G and only have 3 flights on it so far. So far so good, as it seems to fly good. I'm working on my skill level slowly. I flew a cheap "practice" drone for quite a while before moving up to this one. So far I've been mainly flying in "Angle" Mode.

I've been reading the forums for a couple weeks and have read a quite few horror stories of "fly-aways", crashes etc... It makes me a little nervous to take it up very high, go very far or even fly over hard to reach areas (roof tops, streams, lakes, canyons etc...)

I was just wondering what percentage of people have NOT had flying problems or crashes? I'm trying to be as cautious as possible, but yet I want to take some good shots too. I'm I being too concerned?

Thanks,
Doug - Arizona

I recently purchased a Typhoon G and only have 3 flights on it so far. So far so good, as it seems to fly good. I'm working on my skill level slowly. I flew a cheap "practice" drone for quite a while before moving up to this one. So far I've been mainly flying in "Angle" Mode.

I've been reading the forums for a couple weeks and have read a quite few horror stories of "fly-aways", crashes etc... It makes me a little nervous to take it up very high, go very far or even fly over hard to reach areas (roof tops, streams, lakes, canyons etc...)

I was just wondering what percentage of people have NOT had flying problems or crashes? I'm trying to be as cautious as possible, but yet I want to take some good shots too. I'm I being too concerned?

Thanks,
Doug - Arizona
Once you've fully developed a comfortable Control Touch on your G, you'll do fine.
In the meantime if you want to stretch your limits, fly in "turtle" Mode. It's hard to get in trouble with your Quad at the speed "turtle" allows. Also, practice the "return to home" feature to give yourself a little more confidence in the event you experience some sort of disconnect or loss of control.
For some additional peace of mind, on my Quads I've attached a label giving my Phone Number and a note saying "Reward if found"..
In my opinion, the key to becoming a good Yuneec Pilot is repetition, just getting out there and having fun!
Oh, and Everybody crashes Doug, it's only a matter of when!

Thanks for the input Buddy, I'll keep practicing. :)

Today I had a very minor mishap. I tried flying today while it was a little windy, but not real high wind. I was in a big open grassy field and everything was fine till I landed. After it touched down it rocked backwards and the rear blades hit the ground. Broke one blade, but I don't think it did any other damage. I'll have to learn a different technique while landing in the wind, or not fly in any wind... LOL.

Doug

Heres my 2¢
I was very cavalier on my first several flights, but once you do have an incident, you quickly realize you must be a bit more conservative when flying. IMO, for most shots you want, you really never have to go over 150 feet AGL. Dont get me wrong, there are times, but for most shots, you can get the effect youre looking for around that height. Typically, minor winds arent going to affect your flights, but minor winds at ground level can translate into higher sustained winds higher up. The best advice Id give unti; youre confident of your abilities and the airframes, fly in big open areas and always keep your drone in LOS. Also be prepared mentally prepared to lose your investment. And, just in case of a fly away, know how to quickly go home and upload your ST-10 SD card telemetry info so that you can overlay it on to a map and see where the last known spot your drone transmitted its location so youll know where to begin looking for it. Ive had one fly away, due to high winds aloft, and overlayed my telemetry info to a map and drove right to my drone was sitting in a field. But for now, try and keep your flights to around 100'-150' and youll be fine. If it crashes, learn from it and power on.

Daffypuck, thanks for your input. Good suggestions. I will take it easy and stay close until I get more comfortable. Also, right now I don't have an SD card in the ST-10+, but I will put one in and learn how to use it.

Thanks,
Doug

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Daffypuck, thanks for your input. Good suggestions. I will take it easy and stay close until I get more comfortable. Also, right now I don't have an SD card in the ST-10+, but I will put one in and learn how to use it.

Thanks,
Doug

Definitely put a micro SD card in the ST10 definitely, definitely, definitely.

Even if you don't use the information thereon put one in.

I had a Q500 try going for a swim and drowned in about 12-15 foot of water.

Never have found it despite many, many tries sigh.

However, Yuneec looked at my files from the SD card in the ST10 and determining that it was not a fault of mine sent me a whole new setup, bird, camera, blades and battery.

So definitely put a micro SD card in the ST10

Did I say definitely?

Be sure you have one in there before any flight.

Definitely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech