Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My Typhoon Q500 4K will not bind to my Yuneec ST 10+ and I have a warning

jwc

Reaction score
My Typhoon Q500 4K will not bind to my Yuneec ST 10+ and I have a warning about clicking on the links in some of the replies in here. One of them and I can't get back to it to screen shot, is a click here to a link for a McAfee virus. I spent 30 minutes repairing Microsoft Edge after it would not go away even after rebooting. But I really do want help with my binding issue.
I followed the steps in this PDF and got no results: Q500 Binding Verification.pdf

I went to Yuneec Skins and downloaded what may be the latest versions of the camera, gui and 500 software and installed them using the instructions provided

I read all these posts below and tried to follow the suggestions:

The camera is bound and functional, however I'm unable to bind the Q500 4K. During the binding process the model doesn't appear in the Model column. I've followed the Q500 Binding Verification process, and all goes well until I get to step #30. The red light does not blink more rapidly. It stays the same as in step #27. My light is red, not orange and blue when not lit. On another note, when I launch the GUI to try to upgrade the firmware, I'm unable to connect using the USB interface/programmer. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

This cable connects the transmitter SR24 with the flight controller. It is UART (Rx/Tx), Ground, and 3.3V.
There are two different versions:
- newer Q500 have a Y-cable FC to SR24 and second leg to connector for Serial-to-USB converter (USB interface to GUI).
- older Q500 have only one connector. You have to plug out the SR24 abd plug in the USB interface abd back when you wabt to fly.

Please check the connector and wires. I guess something happened there:
- transmitter plugged out,
- wire cut
- pin in connector bent.

Feb 14, 2023
Hello I bought a q500 4k and I can't get it to fly the mode led on the drone blinks red when you turn it on and message on n controller says motor error enter 5 rotor mode then disappears and the controller says ready but won't connect to gps what's your thoughts on this

If it is flashing red 3 times per second it failed initialization. Connect to your PC via USB converter cable and run the GUI to see what the issue might be.

If it is flashing 5 times per second it means the mode switch on the ST10+ is in Home position.
Change to Angle or Smart mode.

thwold Suffolk
Mar 1, 2023
Walteran said:
Hi All. I am a new member from South Africa.
I got a second hand Q500 from a friend but is not able to get the copter to bind with my ST 10+ radio.
I have done all the binding steps according to the manual and threads. The copter goes into binding mode with the flashing orange LED.
When going into the bind setting on ST 10+ clicked on the white model name and it stated binding successful. at this stage nothing else happens and the orange LED just keeps flashing. I cannot find any Yuneec service AGENTS in South Africa. Please help.
Very warm welcome to the Yuneec forum, also make sure the you have a GPS lock on on your (radio) controller

I'm not sure from your description if you went back to the Main Screen.
It does not actually bind while you are still on the Bind Screen. You have to go back to the Main screen for it to actually bind.

Did you run the diagnostics provided in Q500 Binding Verification.pdf ?
The verification is not just "binding instructions". It is a verification of the MANY hidden clues in the binding process. The purpose is to identify abnormal conditions that are preventing a successful bind and to identify the exact point the binding process is failing. That information can assist in determining the best course to remedy the problem.
You will need to perform every step up to the point the verification does not match what you see. Do not skip any steps. Every step must be performed. Even the steps you have no doubt are already in the correct condition. After some preparation steps, the verification falls into a routine of directing an action, then verifying the correct response to the action. When you reach a verification step that does not match what you see, or if you are unsure if it matches, STOP. Report the step number back to the forum, and what you actually saw at that step. We can then go from there.

The bottom line is that I never see an orange binding light after tilting the 500 forward.
when I run the Q500 Typhoon GUI these are the results:

First error pop up is "Seems IMU init is taking too long, please wait 20 seconds for the result." I click ok and the sensor and Motor Speed Controller status is:
Orientation Sensor (IMU) RED failure X Accelerometer bias out of range
Pressure Sensor, Compass, Speed controller, and GPS all have green Checkmarks after running the Speed Controller status and testing

I'm not sure what to do next, because I have read all the threads I could find.

Thank you for any help you can provide

Last edited by a moderator:
My Typhoon Q500 4K will not bind to my Yuneec ST 10+ and I have a warning about clicking on the links in some of the replies in here. One of them and I can't get back to it to screen shot, is a click here to a link for a McAfee virus. I spent 30 minutes repairing Microsoft Edge after it would not go away even after rebooting. But I really do want help with my binding issue.
I followed the steps in this PDF and got no results: Q500 Binding Verification.pdf

I went to Yuneec Skins and downloaded what may be the latest versions of the camera, gui and 500 software and installed them using the instructions provided

I read all these posts and tried to follow the suggestions:
The camera is bound and functional, however I'm unable to bind the Q500 4K. During the binding process the model doesn't appear in the Model column. I've followed the Q500 Binding Verification process, and all goes well until I get to step #30. The red light does not blink more rapidly. It stays the same as in step #27. My light is red, not orange and blue when not lit. On another note, when I launch the GUI to try to upgrade the firmware, I'm unable to connect using the USB interface/programmer. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

This cable connects the transmitter SR24 with the flight controller. It is UART (Rx/Tx), Ground, and 3.3V.
There are two different versions:
- newer Q500 have a Y-cable FC to SR24 and second leg to connector for Serial-to-USB converter (USB interface to GUI).
- older Q500 have only one connector. You have to plug out the SR24 abd plug in the USB interface abd back when you wabt to fly.

Please check the connector and wires. I guess something happened there:
- transmitter plugged out,
- wire cut
- pin in connector bent.

Feb 14, 2023
Hello I bought a q500 4k and I can't get it to fly the mode led on the drone blinks red when you turn it on and message on n controller says motor error enter 5 rotor mode then disappears and the controller says ready but won't connect to gps what's your thoughts on this

If it is flashing red 3 times per second it failed initialization. Connect to your PC via USB converter cable and run the GUI to see what the issue might be.

If it is flashing 5 times per second it means the mode switch on the ST10+ is in Home position.
Change to Angle or Smart mode.

thwold Suffolk
Mar 1, 2023
Walteran said:
Hi All. I am a new member from South Africa.
I got a second hand Q500 from a friend but is not able to get the copter to bind with my ST 10+ radio.
I have done all the binding steps according to the manual and threads. The copter goes into binding mode with the flashing orange LED.
When going into the bind setting on ST 10+ clicked on the white model name and it stated binding successful. at this stage nothing else happens and the orange LED just keeps flashing. I cannot find any Yuneec service AGENTS in South Africa. Please help.
Very warm welcome to the Yuneec forum, also make sure the you have a GPS lock on on your (radio) controller

I'm not sure from your description if you went back to the Main Screen.
It does not actually bind while you are still on the Bind Screen. You have to go back to the Main screen for it to actually bind.

Did you run the diagnostics provided in Q500 Binding Verification.pdf ?
The verification is not just "binding instructions". It is a verification of the MANY hidden clues in the binding process. The purpose is to identify abnormal conditions that are preventing a successful bind and to identify the exact point the binding process is failing. That information can assist in determining the best course to remedy the problem.
You will need to perform every step up to the point the verification does not match what you see. Do not skip any steps. Every step must be performed. Even the steps you have no doubt are already in the correct condition. After some preparation steps, the verification falls into a routine of directing an action, then verifying the correct response to the action. When you reach a verification step that does not match what you see, or if you are unsure if it matches, STOP. Report the step number back to the forum, and what you actually saw at that step. We can then go from there.

The bottom line is that I never see an orange binding light after tilting the 500 forward.
when I run the Q500 Typhoon GUI these are the results:

First error pop up is "Seems IMU init is taking too long, please wait 20 seconds for the result." I click ok and the sensor and Motor Speed Controller status is:
Pressure Sensor, Compass, Speed controller, and GPS all have green Checkmarks after running the Speed Controller status and testing

I'm not sure what to do next, because I have read all the threads I could find.

Thank you for any help you can provide
It took me awhile to realize only the first couple of paragraphs are your actual issue. The discussions of virus warnings and the list of postings from other threads makes it very hard to understand what you are seeing with your system.

All that seems really apparent is that you have a Q500 and an ST10 that will not bind.
To start over, you mentioned you went through the Q500 Binding verification and that you "got no results". But you did not say at what step the verification did not match what you saw. Please tell us the first step number in the binding verification that did not match the expected results and describe the results you saw.

I've followed the Q500 Binding Verification process, and all goes well until I get to step #30. The red light does not blink more rapidly. It stays the same as in step #27. My light is red, not orange and blue when not lit.
@WTFDproject I think this is where he fails in the binding verification. He may be looking at on of the lights on the main board instead of the SR24 in the aircraft as he is seeing red and blue.

@WTFDproject I think this is where he fails in the binding verification. He may be looking at on of the lights on the main board instead of the SR24 in the aircraft as he is seeing red and blue.
That is the sort of thing that has me confused. The statement you referenced comes from the first paragraph after he says, "read all these posts and tried to follow the suggestions:". I don't know if this is what he saw on his system or if it is a quote from another thread. I think it is a quote from a problem posted a couple of years ago. But I'm not sure.
It's best to wait until he clarifies, then we can work through the binding process together.

Last edited:
AI in action ;) Just ignore these types of posts... You're far from the hybrid war platforms for now. We understand if this is a human or a bot just from a few of the first words.

AI in action ;) Just ignore these types of posts... You're far from the hybrid war platforms for now. We understand if this is a human or a bot just from a few of the first words.
Please don't ignore this post. My original post was moved and it took me a bit to find out where the replies were. I am not a bot. I have been reading dozens of suggestions and following all of them and yes, one of the suggestions had a link to a virus which delayed me even further.

Inside the Q500 GUI I get the error message:
Seems IMU init is taking too long, please wait 20 seconds for the result." I click ok and the sensor and Motor Speed Controller status is:
The rest of the tests have green checkmarks.

Then trying to bind the Typhoon to the Yuneec ST 10+, I never see an orange binding light after tilting the 500 forward.

I have read and tried everything I have found. I would really appreciate a suggestion from the experts.

I just read a post that I should try resetting my ST10+, so I did. These are the current settings listed:
Android version 4.0.3
Kernel version 3.0.8
Build number st10_v01b31c
Hardware version P1.4

The camera will come up to bind, but the drone will not.

Reactions: WTFDproject
It would be better if you told us the exact step in the Binding Verification that the process fails. There are a couple of other possibilities that might be less expensive. Without the step level of detail from the verification, I can only say it mostly sounds like the IMU is bad. The IMU senses the drone tilting forward, which is what initiates the binding process (orange light flashing).
The IMU is a chip soldered onto the Q500 board. It is a challenge to remove and replace, even with good skills. (See attached image).
You may find it easier to replace the entire flight control board.
Or you could contact either of these vendors to discuss a possible repair.

Yuneec Skins (Western US) at:
Yuneec Q500 Repair Estimate Service

Vertigo Drones (Eastern US) at:
Certified Repairs and Services by Vertigo Drones: Yuneec Typhoon H, Q500, Breeze, CGO3+, CGO3, CGO2, DJI, Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Phantom 4 Pro, P4P, Phantom 4 Advanced, Plus,

IMU .jpg

Last edited:
It would be better if you told us the exact step in the Binding Verification that the process fails. There are a couple of other possibilities that might be less expensive. Without the step level of detail from the verification, I can only say it mostly sounds like the IMU is bad. The IMU senses the drone tilting forward, which is what initiates the binding process (orange light flashing).
The IMU is a chip soldered onto the Q500 board. It is a challenge to remove and replace, even with good skills. (See attached image).
You may find it easier to replace the entire flight control board.
Or you could contact either of these vendors to discuss a possible repair.

Yuneec Skins (Western US) at:
Yuneec Q500 Repair Estimate Service

Vertigo Drones (Eastern US) at:
Certified Repairs and Services by Vertigo Drones: Yuneec Typhoon H, Q500, Breeze, CGO3+, CGO3, CGO2, DJI, Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Phantom 4 Pro, P4P, Phantom 4 Advanced, Plus,

View attachment 30310
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I also, reset the st10 to factory settings a second time to start over.
I also started over with the q500 verification and I verified all the connections in the battery compartment are connected. This time I was able to get further than before. It was always failing at step 29 and would not turn orange. The rear LED flashed orange and I was able to bind the model to the ST10+.and bind the camera. The camera is working and shows up on the display. I turned everything off and back on, but the ST10 never gets past acquiring a GPS. I saw a place to do a radio control update. Is that what may be the problem now?

It seems like maybe old software for satellites needs updating, but I'm not sure. Is there another file that I need to update?

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I also, reset the st10 to factory settings a second time to start over.
I also started over with the q500 verification and I verified all the connections in the battery compartment are connected. This time I was able to get further than before. It was always failing at step 29 and would not turn orange. The rear LED flashed orange and I was able to bind the model to the ST10+.and bind the camera. The camera is working and shows up on the display. I turned everything off and back on, but the ST10 never gets past acquiring a GPS. I saw a place to do a radio control update. Is that what may be the problem now?

It seems like maybe old software for satellites needs updating, but I'm not sure. Is there another file that I need to update?
It's not a firmware issue. You will get in trouble doing firmware updates. There have been no firmware updates for the Q500./T10 series in a good many years. And none of them I recall updated the GPS acquisition anyway.

Slow GPS acquisition is very normal for a drone that has not been powered on in a while. The two main players in the delay are a small battery and the GPS almanac.
The battery is a little "hearing aide" type battery soldered to the GPS board. It's purpose is to hold the last GPS almanac it last acquired in memory until GPS is acquired again. If the drone is left powered off enough for the battery to die and loose the almanac, you have two problems. Charging the battery and acquiring a new almanac.

The battery is charged from the main flight board when it is turned on. The little battery is very slow to charge. A few hours of the drone being powered on are normally required. It can sometimes take as much as 3 full days, but a full charge is not immediately needed. You just have to get it charged enough to hold the almanac until you want to fly again.

The almanac is the moving prediction of GPS satellite locations over time. It is broadcast by the satellites once every 12 minutes. So, as a bare minimum, you will have to leave the drone outside with a clear view of the sky, turned on, and wait for the almanac to be acquired. Which may not happen on the first broadcast. Even if the GPS acquires, it will loose the acquisition when the drone is turned off unless the little battery has charged sufficiently.

Sorry about all the babbling. But the essence is you need to put the drone outside in an open area with a clear view of the sky. Probably for about an hour, even if you get an acquisition. Or you can turn it on inside for a few hours to just charge the battery. You might even get lucky enough to acquire GPS and download an almanac while inside. Especially if you are near an outside wall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook