Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

American flying in Canada

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to the Canadian Rocky Mountains later this year and am considering bringing my Typhoon H to collect some cool videos (strictly recreational). I have been reviewing the most recent rules coming down from Transport Canada. Most of the rules are similar to ours (US) except a bit more restrictive in heights and distances. Their document called "No Drone Zones" has a confusing section that may apply to me:

"Foreign operators

When you fly an unmanned air vehicle (UAV) for work or research, rules also apply for foreign operators (i.e., anyone who is not Canadian and flies in Canadian airspace).

Foreign operators may only fly a UAV in Canada with an approved SFOC. Before you apply, you must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization as part of your SFOC application."

It's not clear to me if the second sentence that requires a SFOC applies to recreational flyers. Does anyone have insight on this subject?

Murray Martz is from Canada... he might be able to shed some light on this.

I'm planning a trip to the Canadian Rocky Mountains later this year and am considering bringing my Typhoon H to collect some cool videos (strictly recreational). I have been reviewing the most recent rules coming down from Transport Canada. Most of the rules are similar to ours (US) except a bit more restrictive in heights and distances. Their document called "No Drone Zones" has a confusing section that may apply to me:

"Foreign operators

When you fly an unmanned air vehicle (UAV) for work or research, rules also apply for foreign operators (i.e., anyone who is not Canadian and flies in Canadian airspace).

Foreign operators may only fly a UAV in Canada with an approved SFOC. Before you apply, you must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization as part of your SFOC application."

It's not clear to me if the second sentence that requires a SFOC applies to recreational flyers. Does anyone have insight on this subject?
One of the biggest problems will be getting an SFOC ( Special Flight Operations Certificate ). They have a back log of months as they are under staffed. Anything that is a National Park is a No Fly Zone. You will be required to get an SFOC as you are from out of country. Your drone will also be required to have your personal information clearly marked on your drone...Name, address, and telephone number. As the Rockies are full of wildlife, you may not be able to fly. Water is also an issue here as a float plane may be able to land on it making it an aerodrome, so then it becomes a No Fly Zone. I am heading to work but will continue when I get home again. With all of the rules we have, the risk may out way the pleasure. You can add more questions here and I will get to them. Please try to let me know what your travel route will be and I will have a better idea as to what you may need to do as well as the dates you are planning to be in Canada's locations. We are being hit by massive Forest fires in British Columbia right now, so the entire province is in a state of emergency. This could mean the entire province is a No Fly Zone for now.

Hello. In Canada, any National Park is a No-Fly zone. You would need a SFOC, plus permission from Parks Canada. They will only approve a flight if they require it. Otherwise, no go. I know, upsets us too. Some of the most beautiful parts of our Country, and we can't get any video of it from the air. Most Provinces also restrict flying in Provincial Parks. One exception seems to be Saskatchewan, but that is pretty far from the Rockies. On the whole, I would suggest leaving your H at home as it would simply spend it's vacation in it's case. I know it is not what you hoped to hear. Maybe in the future we can have more access, but right now, things are fairly restrictive.

Have a great vacation.

Thanks Murray and Chuck. You're right, that's not what I wanted to hear. Bummer!
I will still collect videos of your beautiful country, but from the ground. I'm planning to use the CGO3+ with a Yuneec SteadyCam (LiPo) version and my 4K camcorder. Ambient audio will be collected with the camcorder. I'll post something on YT when we get back.
Concerning fires in BC, I'll check on that now and before leaving. We are planning to go up to Jasper through Kamloops and zigzag down through the Canadian parks to Glacier NP. We already have our Parks Canada Discover Passes.

Thanks Murray and Chuck. You're right, that's not what I wanted to hear. Bummer!
I will still collect videos of your beautiful country, but from the ground. I'm planning to use the CGO3+ with a Yuneec SteadyCam (LiPo) version and my 4K camcorder. Ambient audio will be collected with the camcorder. I'll post something on YT when we get back.
Concerning fires in BC, I'll check on that now and before leaving. We are planning to go up to Jasper through Kamloops and zigzag down through the Canadian parks to Glacier NP. We already have our Parks Canada Discover Passes.
Your route for sure would not allow you to use the H. It's so sad as all a lot of want to do is to promote Canada. Tourism Canada won't even help us nor would Tourism in any province. Currently there are a few potential loop holes, but until some of the legal experts in Canada go though them, we are sadly grounded in Canada. Last time I flew, I drove to the middle of the prairies, a 45 minute drive from home to find a freaking farmer keeps a plane in his yard. Pissed was not even close to how I felt.

It may also help if Americans sent letters/emails to our Minister of Transportation. He is the head of Transport Canada and the one that is causing all of the issues. When they realize that they are going to be losing tourism dollars, things may change. They won't make the changes for Canadians, but with US support, it may work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yatharthhospital