Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone else got their basic pilots certificate in Canada?

Reaction score
Hello All:

I was reading the news yesterday about our new drone regulations in Canada. They have eased some requirements, such as we get to go to 400 ft (122 M). Also, we will now be required to only be 30 meters from other people not involved in flying the drone. We also now have to register the drone (no more name address and phone number on the drone), and take a test for your pilots certificate. There are two levels, basic, which allows you to be a recreational flyer, and advanced, which allows you to apply for a SFOC and charge for videos. The person they interviewed said that by reading the required information and taking the test a number of times you will learn what to study. I did a little reading and thought that for $10, it was worth taking it to find out. I took it (you have to promise not to post any pictures of the test), It took me about 35 minutes to take it and some things I had to look up, such as radio frequencies. When I finished the 35 questions, I waited for my results. I was shocked to see it say I passed. So, if I can pass it with a minimum of studying, anyone else can as well. Transport Canada has a 42 page list of things to know, but a lot of it is common sense to anyone who has been flying seriously for a while. We have until June for the new regulations, but I thought, why wait. Good luck to all those taking the test and happy flying.

I would like to see a test that doesn't require how little time you spend to pass, but a more stringent exam proving you studied and not merely hoping to pass.
Also an exam of your ability to fly and pass.
I've had my pilots license since 1976, you had to study hard, then take the exam, (very intense), practice flying (with an instructor) and prove you're capable of flying intelligently. Unlike wackos flying drones now.
I would also like to see a psycho exam. to go along with this. As pilots we have to be pass the medical examination as well.
I know there are many who dissagree, but why?

Well, for one, our drones are not aircraft with an onboard pilot and can not carry passengers. Also, we have limits on where, when and how we can use our UAV's. There are still strict penalties for misuse of our UAV's. There are 2 separate exams. The basic only allows for recreational flying. We cannot use our drones for commercial purposes unless we pass the advanced exam and apply for an SFOC. There are people out there who have been flying UAV's responsibly for many years, without a mishap. In every activity, there are people who refuse to follow rules. Sooner or later they will get caught and punished.

I respect the effort you have put into getting your pilots license, but the two things only similarity is that we are in the air. We fly as a hobby, not as a pilot of a plane, helicopter, or LTA craft. No onboard pilot, no passengers . If these were the lengths you had to go to fly recreationally, then almost no one would follow the rules. I feel they are a good balance between risk and responsibility, and encourages people to learn their hobby. I looked into a local model aircraft flying club, but found they have an unreasonable bias against Multirotor craft. They designated a small portion at the end of one runway to fly... as long as no fixed wing models are in the air. If fair, I would have gladly joined and learned from them.

All in all, these are the rules we will have in place June 1st. I hope all who fly for fun, or profit learn their responsibilities and act accordingly. Meanwhile, safe and happy flying to all, regardless of where you live or what you fly.

Reactions: Chewman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawchef