Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Any help launch/retrieve from a boat?

Reaction score
I plan on someday launching my Typhoon Q500 4k from a 23 foot center console. So it is important to have some experience, knowledge and a flight plan ahead of time. There is a greater amount of risk here with a small landing areas, T-top with antenna, radar dome. I know if it gets dunked, it's toast. It appears the best way to practice this exercise is to try to land it at the bow with the boat trailered in some parking lot maybe moving it slowly to simulate boat drift.

I hope to have someone be able to catch and grab the landing gear with out stretched arms over head while hovering. Safety glasses, gloves, maybe a bike riding helmet would be useful too. This should keep the drone maybe ten feet high above the water while landing. I plan on using the angle mode, since the smart mode keeps a safe distance from the unit/operator using the turtle mode to slow things down. I plan on maybe running the battery down half way than landing. This way it would give me some extra time if things go wrong.
I could also do this exercise the first time somewhere near land where, in an emergency land it on solid ground, than go to a dock and retrieve it.

Any suggestions? Have I missed anything?

I plan on someday launching my Typhoon Q500 4k from a 23 foot center console. So it is important to have some experience, knowledge and a flight plan ahead of time. There is a greater amount of risk here with a small landing areas, T-top with antenna, radar dome. I know if it gets dunked, it's toast. It appears the best way to practice this exercise is to try to land it at the bow with the boat trailered in some parking lot maybe moving it slowly to simulate boat drift.

I hope to have someone be able to catch and grab the landing gear with out stretched arms over head while hovering. Safety glasses, gloves, maybe a bike riding helmet would be useful too. This should keep the drone maybe ten feet high above the water while landing. I plan on using the angle mode, since the smart mode keeps a safe distance from the unit/operator using the turtle mode to slow things down. I plan on maybe running the battery down half way than landing. This way it would give me some extra time if things go wrong.
I could also do this exercise the first time somewhere near land where, in an emergency land it on solid ground, than go to a dock and retrieve it.

Any suggestions? Have I missed anything?

Wow! That's gonna be dicey. Can you practice on a calm river or inlet before going off shore? That way you may only be dealing with side winds moving the boat. Not the added fun of swells.
And I want to see video of this! :)

I would also suggest the use of a 'Getterback' and/or noodle foam on your skids in case it takes a swim. :eek:

Reactions: dirkclod
The noodle form is a good idea to save the bird from totally losing it but it doesn't solve the problem of the quad getting wet and ruining the electronics.

From my trials, I've found if you fly the drone as close as four to five feet from the waters surface, it starts to disturb the surface. Worried it might spray water. If I can keep it higher, the better. Thanks for your advise.

Each day I fly the drone I always pick a specific spot to land it, manually. I think it's good prep and practice for that day I try it at sea.

Reactions: BEE
Reactions: dirkclod
Her is some first hand experience around water and on a boat. See the bottom video on this page:

Houston Website Design, Houston Web Designer, Search Engine Optimization Texas - lake

You need to launch from a solid surface. There are acceleramators that will not register properly on a boat moving in 3d. Launch from a dock. Then, you are going to want to hand catch to recover. It is not tough.

Put the drone slightly donw wind of you, in case of a gust.
Grab one of the upper parts of the legs and stay still
turn off the motors

Don't put your hand in the blades and happy flying!

Last edited:
I have done it . Took off from a stopped boat but it was still moving . Had an assistant catch it for recovery . Went very well. Here is a link to the youtube video.

I have done it . Took off from a stopped boat but it was still moving . Had an assistant catch it for recovery . Went very well. Here is a link to the youtube video.

Excellent! This is exactly what I bought a drone for. So you launched it off your sunpad while the boat was idling, raised it to a certain elevation, and then placed it in follow me mode? Just keep the remote somewhere on your boat, and it did all the rest until you went back into Angle mode and landed it? Or am I over simplifying it?

Excellent! This is exactly what I bought a drone for. So you launched it off your sunpad while the boat was idling, raised it to a certain elevation, and then placed it in follow me mode? Just keep the remote somewhere on your boat, and it did all the rest until you went back into Angle mode and landed it? Or am I over simplifying it?
What I find interesting in the video is at the very beginning . The boat is rocking back and forth but the horizon in the background is rock solid . Now I am sure that you should probably start from a dead level solid surface but my Q locked on right from the start on a moving boat .
As to my technique , that is all me . I don't like "smart mode " . It disorients me . I flew the whole thing .

What I find interesting in the video is at the very beginning . The boat is rocking back and forth but the horizon in the background is rock solid . Now I am sure that you should probably start from a dead level solid surface but my Q locked on right from the start on a moving boat .
As to my technique , that is all me . I don't like "smart mode " . It disorients me . I flew the whole thing .
So you had someone driving the boat and you drove the drone?
I would be curious to see what follow me mode is like, if so.
My friend and I will be switching off duties on driving the boat and kneeboarding/hydrofoiling. It would be great if we could let the drone do it's part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval