Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Any Regrets and a Couple Questions...

Reaction score
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a Q500G as it fits my basic criteria for an AP platform. But with the recent "price wars" with DJI and the Chroma, its making my decision a bit more difficult. Also from all my research it doesn't seem that one brand over another has less fly-aways, random drops from the skies, or other issues. Seems like they are all about the same in this area.

My first question for those who bought the Q500 in any variant, do you have any regrets and wish you bought a Phantom or some other Quad in the same price category (sub $1k based on current pricing)?

If so what regrets?

Would you buy the Q500 again if you were looking today?

Do you feel the slightly larger size of the Q500 compared to the DJI or Chroma is pro/con or not a factor?

I see that even "Best Buy" stores carries the Q500 in all its forms. Is there any pros/cons to buying from Best Buy as opposed to a dedicated LHS? I do like to support my LHS, but I feel my LHS is trying to push me into the higher-end versions of the Quads I'm looking at and don't like that or feel I need the 4k Q500, Chroma, or PJ Professional.

Thanks for any help in finalizing my decision!

I was like you, was back and forth between the Chroma and Typhoon. My LHS had both and was trying to push me to the Chroma. I had a Blade 350qx3 so was familiar with Blade and their products. I choose the Typhoon 4k. Several reasons. Reviews seemed better and Typhoon was a larger bird. Plus it was cheaper than the Chroma in the same configured package.

I choose the 4k because I did not have a GoPro to mount to it. It would have cost me about the same for the G model after I bought a GoPro Hero4 Black edition. If I had a GoPro and it was the Hero 4 Black I would have got the Typhoon G just to save some money. I really do not need to see what i am video taping on a monitor in my hand which the GoPro setup will not give you. I have to admit that the 4k FPV is nice tho.

I have no reqrets. Good Luck in your decision.

Thanks for the input.

Maybe I misunderstand you, but the "G" model does come with Video Downlink so you can view what your GoPro is filming. If this isn't correct please let me know as that would be a deal-breaker for the "G".

One reason for me thinking of going with the "G" is I've already got a GoPro Hero 3+. Looking at the spec sheet it appears the Hero 3+ will work with the "G" the same as a Hero 4 (video quality aside)... Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. If a Gopro Hero 3+ won't work and leaves me filming blind, thats a deal breaker again...

I'm new to this so forgive my ignorance...

I was like you, was back and forth between the Chroma and Typhoon. My LHS had both and was trying to push me to the Chroma. I had a Blade 350qx3 so was familiar with Blade and their products. I choose the Typhoon 4k. Several reasons. Reviews seemed better and Typhoon was a larger bird. Plus it was cheaper than the Chroma in the same configured package.

I choose the 4k because I did not have a GoPro to mount to it. It would have cost me about the same for the G model after I bought a GoPro Hero4 Black edition. If I had a GoPro and it was the Hero 4 Black I would have got the Typhoon G just to save some money. I really do not need to see what i am video taping on a monitor in my hand which the GoPro setup will not give you. I have to admit that the 4k FPV is nice tho.

I have no reqrets. Good Luck in your decision.

Thanks!

$1k for the 4k is out of my comfort zone. Isn't the only difference between the 500+ and the 500 4k, the camera image quality? There are no "functional" differences between the two?

hi
if you can afford the 4K buy it , it has everything you will need , right now the prices have come down and some dealers are giving a wizard for free .anyway you put it the Q 500 is the way to go .
fly safe

I'm just a hobbiest.

When I first started looking at drones, I was zeroing in on a Parrot Bebop. Then after doing months of research, and saving $, I decided I was going 'all in'. So I started looking at the next level up.

I was torn between the 4K and DJI Pro.
I bought the 4K from Amazon in November and have no regrets. None! The Yuneec's come with more goodies for the price. The only thing extra needed is a fast balance charger.

I've read that Best Buy buyers are missing parts/accessories, so if you go that route, check the contents before leaving the store.

Good luck with your decision. I know the internal debate you're having.

Reactions: QuadBart
After researching and sticking to my requirements, I picked up (ordered) the "Plus"! Now to find a case that I can't mount to my motorcycle to protect it...

After researching and sticking to my requirements, I picked up (ordered) the "Plus"! Now to find a case that I can't mount to my motorcycle to protect it...

I have many drones that I built myself for 250 racing and long distance FPV and I picked up a Q5004k pkg from Amazon during a New years day sale for $998 delivered . Glad I didn't get stuck with full price now that they have come down to that price :) It has been a great bird . The video is awesome and the gimbal works flawlessly . Shots even in a high wind hover look like a still photograph . The flight characteristics of the bird itself are a bit too sluggish for me but I have learned over the years to fly all types of RC in manual mode and the Typhoons are marketed to first time operators so no big deal there . It is perfectly suited for first time flyers as it is extremely stable and even in Angle mode it will not let you land too hard . I have been very satisfied with mine .

As far as cases to transport on a bike ,look at some of the larger carry on bags for air travel . Wal-Mart had a hard shell 20X20X10" bag I think for $49 . You can get the kiazen foam sheets to make it fit the Q500 perfectly .

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a Q500G as it fits my basic criteria for an AP platform. But with the recent "price wars" with DJI and the Chroma, its making my decision a bit more difficult. Also from all my research it doesn't seem that one brand over another has less fly-aways, random drops from the skies, or other issues. Seems like they are all about the same in this area.

My first question for those who bought the Q500 in any variant, do you have any regrets and wish you bought a Phantom or some other Quad in the same price category (sub $1k based on current pricing)?

If so what regrets?

Would you buy the Q500 again if you were looking today?

Do you feel the slightly larger size of the Q500 compared to the DJI or Chroma is pro/con or not a factor?

I see that even "Best Buy" stores carries the Q500 in all its forms. Is there any pros/cons to buying from Best Buy as opposed to a dedicated LHS? I do like to support my LHS, but I feel my LHS is trying to push me into the higher-end versions of the Quads I'm looking at and don't like that or feel I need the 4k Q500, Chroma, or PJ Professional.

Thanks for any help in finalizing my decision!
I would buy one again if I had to. The typhoon came with more and I didn't have to buy an I pad mini or dedicate my phone for fpv. Customer service is another reason. Dji customer service sucks. People complain about the speed but this is not supposed to be a racing drone. If u want to take great video and deal with great customer service then yuneec is the way to go.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
Thanks!

$1k for the 4k is out of my comfort zone. Isn't the only difference between the 500+ and the 500 4k, the camera image quality? There are no "functional" differences between the two?

The steadygrip has an added button to allow follow mode.....the free steadygrip is what convinced me over any other drone and the 4K video quality was so good I bought a second one. My only regret is ALSO buying the G version which was a big big mistake now that i have both to compare with....i did get a used chroma which wouldn't return to home, low battery caused an auto landing in a gated neighborhood with one of my 4K cameras on it. :-( I don't mind losing the chroma, but losing the 4K camera and gimbal makes me :-(
Btw the chroma and q500's never got over 19 minutes of flight time.

Reactions: QuadBart

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval