Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anybody Else Brick Their Typhoon H During Firmware Update?

Reaction score
So far my Typhoon H has been a huge let down. I decided to go ahead and do the firmware update thinking it may resolve some of my smaller issues. I downloaded the new firmware version 2.10 off Yuneec's site and proceeded to update the H. Once the firmware update was done, I turned it off as instructed in the Yuneec Tutorial Video and then tried to power back on to see if the firmware took. That's when things went from bad to as bad as it can get. The Typhoon H won't boot up when you try to power it on. I get a single audible beep and I can see a series of blue flashing lights coming from inside the H and nothing. Thinking it may be a bad flight battery, I tried the new one I bought a couple of days after receiving the H. Inserted the new battery with a fresh charge into the H, pushed the power button and nothing but a single audible beep followed by nothing. It's bricked alright. No way to unbrick it that I can find since it won't power on at all.

Oh and a tip I figured out for folks experiencing the issue with the Video Record Button not working unless you press it a bunch of times. Go into the CHANNEL SETTINGS menu and locate the button labeled B4, press B4, Increase the curve settings, Save and exit the menu and try the button again, it should begin recording video with one simple press. Manage to figure that out before I bricked my H.

So far my Typhoon H has been a huge let down. I decided to go ahead and do the firmware update thinking it may resolve some of my smaller issues. I downloaded the new firmware version 2.10 off Yuneec's site and proceeded to update the H. Once the firmware update was done, I turned it off as instructed in the Yuneec Tutorial Video and then tried to power back on to see if the firmware took. That's when things went from bad to as bad as it can get. The Typhoon H won't boot up when you try to power it on. I get a single audible beep and I can see a series of blue flashing lights coming from inside the H and nothing. Thinking it may be a bad flight battery, I tried the new one I bought a couple of days after receiving the H. Inserted the new battery with a fresh charge into the H, pushed the power button and nothing but a single audible beep followed by nothing. It's bricked alright. No way to unbrick it that I can find since it won't power on at all.
H.

When I attempted unsuccessfully to download the new firmware I contacted Yuneec support and they explained that they were having trouble with the download and were working on a patch. Said to try after the weekend and they hoped to have it resolved by Tuesday. Hope that will help you get it fixed.

When I attempted unsuccessfully to download the new firmware I contacted Yuneec support and they explained that they were having trouble with the download and were working on a patch. Said to try after the weekend and they hoped to have it resolved by Tuesday. Hope that will help you get it fixed.
Sadly it won't. The H won't power on now that the firmware is bricked. I have tried holding the power on button down for several minutes to see if I could get the firmware loaded but it's a no-go. I contacted Yuneec and they said if it'd bricked because of firmware, I have to send it in for repair. The rep said they are not replacing units as this time, only repairing. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence to spend over $1500 for the H, backpack, batteries to have to box it up and ship it off after only flying it for one day. I asked if I could please just get a new H and they said no. I am NOT a happy camper right now. I have supported Yuneec going back to the first Q500. My warm and fuzzy feeling about the brand is disappearing real quick.

Not replacing units because there are no units available to replace with.

You could insist on a new unit, then wait for a couple months for them to have the inventory available to send a NIB replacement, after all of their customer (distributors) orders are fulfilled.

Having said that, from what I have gathered from others that have had to send theirs in, they have a very fast turnaround.

If your FW is corrupted, and no other damage (nothing melted or fried), it is an easy fix since they have the computer and software to hook up and re-flash it.

Reactions: davinci440
Oh and a tip I figured out for folks experiencing the issue with the Video Record Button not working unless you press it a bunch of times. Go into the CHANNEL SETTINGS menu and locate the button labeled B4, press B4, Increase the curve settings, Save and exit the menu and try the button again, it should begin recording video with one simple press. Manage to figure that out before I bricked my H.

Thanks for this, I was having the same problem with the camera button B3 which is working now.

This may or may not help you....Have you tried hooking up your H to your pc via the GUI program and usb cord. The H will power up without a power button push just by hooking it up via the usb cable.

Noticed that when i did my firmware upgrade last weekend.

Yes, I have tried hooking up via USB and it won't do anything. When you plug the micro USB into the belly of the H, you can see a blue light on the flight control board but that's it. You can press the power button all day long and still one beep followed by nothing.

This must be the best tip on the Forum. You deserve a prize for finding it. After I updated the Firmware twice my buttons still had a problem. But not now. Hope you get a good conclusion to your problem.

A discussion is contained in the Thread listed "firmware info". Has the latest data.

Yes, I have tried hooking up via USB and it won't do anything. When you plug the micro USB into the belly of the H, you can see a blue light on the flight control board but that's it. You can press the power button all day long and still one beep followed by nothing.
Does the GUI show any functions when your connected via the usb cable?

Yes, I know that. I flew it 4 successful flights before I started having trouble. I have pushed it for every time span I can think of. I am a long time Yuneec user and pretty well schooled in how their birds work I have pushed and held the power up to 3 minutes, It is bricked! When firmware bricks on install, the bird has corrupt operating instructions and it doesn't know what to do when the firmware is only half written. You push the button, it doesn't know to do the boot up routine.

I know what you mean, Bricked a cell phone or two in my day when I was ROOTING them.
Be curious to see Yuneec response. Sucks that it was a holiday and you have to wait.

I am new to Yuneec but from everything I have read, they will take care of you. You may be without for a week or so but they will address your issue I am sure. Same cannot be said from "other" companies. :)

I posted to thank you for the button tip as well. I was actually going to do that anyway as it makes sense. :)

Agreed Paladin. Yuneec CS has always been exceptional which is why I stuck with them for so long. I have owned every model of Q500 since the very first units came out. I was a very early adopter of the Q500. I currently have two Q500 4K's in my fleet and love them to death. Reliable, Dependable, stable, and predictable and they are so easy to repair. That's why I feel so let down with the H. I had high expectations of quality given my past Yuneec purchases.

Thanks for this, I was having the same problem with the camera button B3 which is working now.

WARNING - Don't do this if you are having problems with the camera button B3, My B1 (red arm) button now does not work and looking in the settings throttle,B1 and B3 are all linked. It is definately problem with the ST16 as I can put the H into team mode and arm with the wizard.

I emailed Yuneec UK last night about the problem and have just had a call from them to tell me they are on the case - Brilliant service.

Since your excellent B4 tip I think you must be the King of the Channel Settings. When you get your Typhoon back can you explore the possibility of the audio not resetting itself off when restarting the ST 16. I would like the mic to be on permanently. Thanks hope you do not have a long wait.

In anticipation of receiving my H next week I downloaded the zip file for the firmware but there is no
bin file in it.
Did Yuneec remove it because there was a problem?

Last edited:
Issues with camera buttons Yuneec asked for the H back. Only been a couple of days but still waiting for H to come back to me and for them to let me know anything. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval