Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone successfully achieved the advertised range?

Since I received my replacement mantis Q I have a hard time getting to bind and when I get out 300 feet or so I start losing video feed and it returns to home very disappointed in my replacement mantis Q not even close to advertising range I wish I could get my money back not even fun to fly anymore pretty sad when yuneec can lie about things for sales purposes boo on you yuneec

How did you fly over 3000m with that setup when the left Antenna on the controller is the one that sends as well as receives and the right antenna only receives? I assume you had another antenna attached right?

I like some others get crap for range. 10m out and it drops to 2 bars for signal, 30m out and it drops to 1 bar. And I'm positive it's connected to the controller and not the phone. I've put the phone in airplane mode and checked.

However....if you look at the inside of your Mantis Q, you'll notice on the motherboard that there is only a single antenna connector. If you pop the shield top off the wifi chip you'll see there are actually pads for a second antenna, caps, resistors, and front end module. AND - if you look on the FCC
Images of the internal Mantis Q you'll see they have those pads populated.
This means it went through the FCC with those parts intact. Maybe it went through FCC testing like that as well...and maybe that's how they got their falsely advertised range numbers as well. But then removed those extra components to save battery.

as you can see, I only used one antenna. Through that one antenna connected to the right, everything seems to go, at 5.75GHz. I think another antenna for 2.4GHz and FCC mode. Since I am in the EU my drone runs at 5.8GHz. With such an antenna on the drone and the remote range was over 3km then I returned it. The signal is very weak but can go up to 3km.

1594991356518.png

as you can see, I only used one antenna. Through that one antenna connected to the right, everything seems to go, at 5.75GHz. I think another antenna for 2.4GHz and FCC mode. Since I am in the EU my drone runs at 5.8GHz. With such an antenna on the drone and the remote range was over 3km then I returned it. The signal is very weak but can go up to 3km.

View attachment 22695

What kind of sma connectors do you get so they fit inside the remote? I've tried both the straight kind as well as the right angle but in both cases they don't fit with the control board in place.

[QUOTE = "j76, post: 223968, član: 23941"]
Kakve sma konektore dobijate tako da se uklapaju u daljinac? Pokušao sam s ravnom vrstom, kao i pravim kutom, ali u oba slučaja ne staju na mjesto upravljačke ploče.
[/CITAT]

Attachments

• 20200721_154235.jpg
    20200721_154235.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
[QUOTE = "j76, post: 223968, član: 23941"]
Kakve sma konektore dobijate tako da se uklapaju u daljinac? Pokušao sam s ravnom vrstom, kao i pravim kutom, ali u oba slučaja ne staju na mjesto upravljačke ploče.
[/CITAT]
Your other one doesn't look like that though...
Here is the problem I am speaking of...no clearance on the inside of the case between the plastic of the case and the circuit board. the board will almost fit into place but none of the screw holes line up and the buttons don't either. I haven't found a way yet to mount the connectors without destroying either the connectors, the case, or the circuit board.

20200721_102855.jpg

I fly a stock Mantis Q drone and I have gotten it as far as 5000 feet away. It's not common. I have gotten it that far only from one area near my town, not sure what the reasons. But most of the time it's around 1200-2000 feet and it will lose signal/video and eventually start the RTH function.
I live outside of NYC. This past weekend I was on the Jersey side of the Hudson River. I try to fly the Mantis across the length of Hudson River, it came very close. I tried it from 2 different spots and in the second place I was able to reach one of the piers on the west side of Manhattan, distance was almost 4000 feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Louis924
Your other one doesn't look like that though...
Here is the problem I am speaking of...no clearance on the inside of the case between the plastic of the case and the circuit board. the board will almost fit into place but none of the screw holes line up and the buttons don't either. I haven't found a way yet to mount the connectors without destroying either the connectors, the case, or the circuit board.

View attachment 22746

I am almost there ... waiting for this :

Should be here in the next 2 weeks then I let you guys know.

j76, if you want the battery shell let me know ( standard LIPO ) . I made 2 but the other one is just sitting idle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.36.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.36.49 PM.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.36.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.36.40 PM.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.36.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.36.29 PM.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 13
j76, if you want the battery shell let me know ( standard LIPO ) . I made 2 but the other one is just sitting idle.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it, not sure yet. I've been trying to get time to try and fly my MQ for the past week after some minor mods to it (pagoda antennas and a clover on the drone) but just haven't found the time yet.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it, not sure yet. I've been trying to get time to try and fly my MQ for the past week after some minor mods to it (pagoda antennas and a clover on the drone) but just haven't found the time yet.
I finally got a chance to fly my Q this evening and even after replacing the controller antennas with a pagoda and flat panel (eachine stinger set 14dbi) and a 5dbi clover on the drone it still started the return to home about 10m out. It only did that once though...so the signal issues are hit and miss.

Went through both batteries tonight as well...usually don't have the time to do that hehe.

I finally got a chance to fly my Q this evening and even after replacing the controller antennas with a pagoda and flat panel (eachine stinger set 14dbi) and a 5dbi clover on the drone it still started the return to home about 10m out. It only did that once though...so the signal issues are hit and miss.

Went through both batteries tonight as well...usually don't have the time to do that hehe.
So what is your max range? meaning pointing directly @ the drone.
in that case maybe your connector or traces on board could be cut.

I'll try to get my max range this evening, but I didn't see any cut traces on the drone when I was taking the close-up photos of the mainboard.
Controller may be a different thing.

I'll try to get my max range this evening, but I didn't see any cut traces on the drone when I was taking the close-up photos of the mainboard.
Controller may be a different thing.
Best would be to look at the logs. I am sure something will show up there for your benefit. Hopefully small issue.

-a

Best would be to look at the logs. I am sure something will show up there for your benefit. Hopefully small issue.

-a
F me for having such a busy life!
So I was able to get a max distance test in - ONLY BECAUSE MY DANG DOG (Siberian Husky) DECIDED IT WAS A GOOD DAY TO IGNORE ME AND RUN OFF TO THE CREEK!

So the distance test was crap... Like 372m.
Screenshot_20200830-223250_Yuneec Pilot.jpg

I think I'll have to find a better solution to the antennas I'm using. The clover I had on the drone seemed to work worse than the stock.

To those that can make it 1000\1200+ meters, what conditions where the flights? Were there trees between you and the drone? What kind of antenna setups were being used? (Links would be helpful too please)

Reactions: Vasir
F me for having such a busy life!
So I was able to get a max distance test in - ONLY BECAUSE MY DANG DOG (Siberian Husky) DECIDED IT WAS A GOOD DAY TO IGNORE ME AND RUN OFF TO THE CREEK!

So the distance test was crap... Like 372m.
View attachment 23075

I think I'll have to find a better solution to the antennas I'm using. The clover I had on the drone seemed to work worse than the stock.

To those that can make it 1000\1200+ meters, what conditions where the flights? Were there trees between you and the drone? What kind of antenna setups were being used? (Links would be helpful too please)
I also had a husky and that boy used to just gun it and then forget the way back. Reminds me of my drone now LOL. We got chickens one day and this guy played with them like rubber ducks.

Did you point directly at the drone since these toys are directional beasts?
I am using 2 different antenna's (well still waiting for one from AliSLOW, been 2 months now)
Once I have this thing ready, I will let you know.

I got 144 meters Looking for antennas. Any recommends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval