Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone successfully achieved the advertised range?

Reaction score
To start...I love the Mantis Q, but has anyone reached the stated range of 4,921 feet? So far the furthest I have achieved is 1,200 feet at an altitude of 200 feet. Granted, I am flying it in Connecticut where it is below 32 degrees which could be the reason for the range reduction although it appears plenty of people have this issue. Regardless I love this drone for its speed and agility. I have reached 45mph no problem and its responsiveness is remarkable. It is truly a blast to fly. I fly drones for the sport of it...not for cinematic reasons so I have no performance complaints other range. 1,000+ feet of range is fun for flying around an taking some good photos but it would be nice if the ranged actually reached nearly a mile.

You will never get either range nor flight times as advertised on any drone model... it's called advertising... and note the vast majority of the time the phrasing is "up to blahblahblah". Real world flight times or range will be as reported on these boards.

But then again, if you did get a 1 mile range... you would not be able to claim that you are maintaining VLOS. And if you got out to 1 mile, would you have enough battery reserves to make it back? What if there's a crosswind or headwind? At the temperature are you flying in... your battery life is cut in half of flying at say, 75° F. Again, the advertised flight times are not quoted for weather near Christmas... more like Memorial Day, dead calm conditions... and they still are not based in reality.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Isn't the advertised flight just hover? So just in one place and ideal conditions, which rarely occur. I suspect someone will come along and brag they've gone twice the distance.

You will never get either range nor flight times as advertised on any drone model... it's called advertising... and note the vast majority of the time the phrasing is "up to blahblahblah". Real world flight times or range will be as reported on these boards.

But then again, if you did get a 1 mile range... you would not be able to claim that you are maintaining VLOS. And if you got out to 1 mile, would you have enough battery reserves to make it back? What if there's a crosswind or headwind? At the temperature are you flying in... your battery life is cut in half of flying at say, 75° F. Again, the advertised flight times are not quoted for weather near Christmas... more like Memorial Day, dead calm conditions... and they still are not based in reality.
I have achieved 29 minutes of flight time with 1/3rd of it spent in sport mode. I average arouund 25 minutes when flown only in sport mode. So Yuneec isn't far off with its flight time estimates. But to advertise 4,921 feet of range when in reality it barely makes it to 1,000 feet of range is just devious. It is exaggerated by 500%. Not right. I am not too concerned with VLOS, I live on 203 acres so plenty of room to fly and the mapping software makes it easy. If the mantis has a realistic range of 3,500 feet and they advertised 4,921...that one thing, but to not even reach 1/5th of that is just shady business practices.

Reactions: Jfuss21
I have been averaging around 25 to 28 mins, but it depends on the temp and wind of course.

I haven't really tried to see what the maximum distance I can get. Most of my flying is around my property and within LOS. I use the camera on the Mantis and the Q500 4k to check my fences, wildlife and to see if any new trees are down and such mostly. May be something I try in the near future though.

I haven't really tried to see what the maximum distance I can get. Most of my flying is around my property and within LOS. I use the camera on the Mantis and the Q500 4k to check my fences, wildlife and to see if any new trees are down and such mostly. May be something I try in the near future though.
Makes sense. I understand the Mantis is built primarily for LOS flying...and is really good for it. The range question is primarily out of curiosity rather than necessity. I pushed it tonight up to 1700ft distance at 400Ft. New PR...but again its 30 degrees. I haven't flown it in warmer weather yet so i cant yet rule that out as the culprit for limited range. Could Yuneec really have overstated the range that badly?

I am thinking about getting a drone built for longer distances just to add to the arsenal. How do you like the Q500, does it have some real distance capabilities?

Hi, thought I'd chime in, I have a screenshot in another post of 2,014 ft. Distance at 200 ft. Altitude. That's in the desert with very close to ideal conditions. I am seriously considering the attenna upgrade this year as my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas ?

Hi, thought I'd chime in, I have a screenshot in another post of 2,014 ft. Distance at 200 ft. Altitude. That's in the desert with very close to ideal conditions. I am seriously considering the attenna upgrade this year as my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas ?

Thanks for chiming in. So if the desert doesn't get you the maximum range then nowhere will. I'd say around 2,000ft is the real max. Could you tell me more about this antenna upgrade? I have read about them on other threads but there was not much information.

I don't have much for either. I emailed the company and they do have them in stock, a little over a hundred bucks with taxes. If I get it I'll post up the results.

To start...I love the Mantis Q, but has anyone reached the stated range of 4,921 feet? So far the furthest I have achieved is 1,200 feet at an altitude of 200 feet. Granted, I am flying it in Connecticut where it is below 32 degrees which could be the reason for the range reduction although it appears plenty of people have this issue. Regardless I love this drone for its speed and agility. I have reached 45mph no problem and its responsiveness is remarkable. It is truly a blast to fly. I fly drones for the sport of it...not for cinematic reasons so I have no performance complaints other range. 1,000+ feet of range is fun for flying around an taking some good photos but it would be nice if the ranged actually reached nearly a mile.
I'm having the same issue I got 1500 meters and that was in a perfect place to fly I want to be Able to get the distance that it advertises also

Is there anyway to increase the range of my mantis q

Is there anyway to increase the range of my mantis q

I haven't noted any, but since I do not own a Mantis, I do not keep as close tabs on that section of the board.

Is there a specific purpose that you want to achieve by extending the range... (as opposed to just being one of the cool kids on YouTube?)

I haven't noted any, but since I do not own a Mantis, I do not keep as close tabs on that section of the board.

Is there a specific purpose that you want to achieve by extending the range... (as opposed to just being one of the cool kids on YouTube?)
I want to be able to get to some places I. Cant walk to to do some more exploreing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval