Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bad first day for Q500 4 K

Reaction score
Thanksgiving Day was a bad day for my first flight with Q500 4K, I had the Q500 for two days prior and read the user guide and downloaded the manual, and printed it out, for the Q500 4K . Following all the proper steps and procedures before my first flight I did lift off with no problems but didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary
and stayed at about 40 to 50 feet altitude but notice the forward and reverse controls seemed not to responsive and landed with no problem. Took the time to double check everything and launched again and again about the same as first flight only worst , this time the Q500 was coming back at me and as I tried to correct it did
not respond to my control input and crashed causing severe damage. I have owned a DJI Phantom for two years with no serious problems and was excited about this Q500 4K needless to say I am wondering if I bought a bad drone as Yuneec’s web site offers little help or input about their products, I will call first chance I get about getting it serviced and repaired.
Thanks for any input,
Alan

Reactions: Popz Carroll
Oh man. Sorry to hear that.

Let us know what CS says and what may have been the cause. We're going to have lots of new Q500 4K pilots in the next month or 2.
We learn and help each other from mistakes and problems.
Your problem is a new one I hadn't heard of. Lucky you. :(

Let us know.

YUNEEC is closed for the Holiday weekend, so I wait till Monday, plus this site, Yuneec Pilots form, needs a moderator to field a few basic questions.
Alan, Stay tuned !!

Reactions: Popz Carroll
Mine should be here tomorrow.......... ****....... I hope I got a good one !!!!..... Sorry to hear about the malfunction, but if what i'm hearing and reading is true .... ... Yuneec is a stand up company !!!
I too will be waiting for a outcome to your situation !!!!!

Thanksgiving Day was a bad day for my first flight with Q500 4K, I had the Q500 for two days prior and read the user guide and downloaded the manual, and printed it out, for the Q500 4K . Following all the proper steps and procedures before my first flight I did lift off with no problems but didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary
and stayed at about 40 to 50 feet altitude but notice the forward and reverse controls seemed not to responsive and landed with no problem. Took the time to double check everything and launched again and again about the same as first flight only worst , this time the Q500 was coming back at me and as I tried to correct it did
not respond to my control input and crashed causing severe damage. I have owned a DJI Phantom for two years with no serious problems and was excited about this Q500 4K needless to say I am wondering if I bought a bad drone as Yuneec’s web site offers little help or input about their products, I will call first chance I get about getting it serviced and repaired.
Thanks for any input,
Alan

Alan, Did you complete the Compass Calibration protocols? Once completed, this might allow you a better flight!!!

Alan, Did you complete the Compass Calibration protocols? Once completed, this might allow you a better flight!!!
Yes, I calibrated before first flight, as I said I have a DJI Phantom for two years, still do, and calibrated it at various times which is why I somewhat confused about the unresponsive control commands I tried to do. There was damage to the Q500 and will have to wait till Monday after Thanksgiving to talk with customer service about.
Alan

Did you update your firmware in the drone and, the controller. Not well documented straight out of the box. In addition to the compass calibration, there is also acceleramator calibration that needs done.

When you take your hands off of the controls, it will hover assuming all else is okey-dokey. If you inadvertently hit the "home" switch, it will look like it is not responding and flying back to your location. If you followed the instructions about being 20 feet away when you first start up, it should not be coming near you on the home command/

Were you in Safe mode? Sometimes behavior can be unpredictable when the drone is close by. The drone should be at least 25ft away from you at takeoff while in safe mode. Or takeoff in angle mode then once the drone is away from you put it in safe mode.

You more than likely had it in Smart mode which reverses the controls from a Phantom.

Smart mode is sort of like Home Lock pull the stick back towards you and it comes back regardless of where it's pointed.

If you've flown before always use angle mode where the sticks always remain normal

I really think Yuneec needs to rethink the default mode between that and the geo fence even a good pilot can get confused.

Sorry to hear about your experience. That is definitely not the expected or normal behavior. Yuneec customer service and technical support are in the office today. Please give us a call. Our staff will be able to help you determine what happened and arrange for the appropriate repairs. 844 898 6332

Is it possible the props, A and B were attached incorrectly? I crashed once with a bad landing and lost 2 props, but that was it. It would have been worse, except I ran the copter as tho it was a live aircraft, using low altitude, minimal control, and gentle movements. I think the pilots need to operate the UAVs like they were carrying people, especially at first

Thank you everyone for all the feedback and thoughts on my first day experience. I have contacted Yuneec CS and arrangements
have been made to address the problems I have had.
Thanks again, Alan

Hi Alan,
Sorry to hear the bad news. I've had mine for 3 weeks so far and zero problems. I did have a scary moment during my first flight flying in safe mode but it was flying by design. Keep it in Angle flight mode.

Dan

Hi Alan,
Sorry to hear the bad news. I've had mine for 3 weeks so far and zero problems. I did have a scary moment during my first flight flying in safe mode but it was flying by design. Keep it in Angle flight mode.

Dan
Thank you, there will be some changes after I get it back from Yuneec and talk with CS
Alan

Alan,
Please do keep us posted. If nothing else, this bird is supposed to be about as easy as it gets from the box to up in the air. I know you've been flying a while now so I'd also be curious as to what is determined, if it can be determined. I've been flying the 4k since August and it's been super great and I'm sure it will be for you too. Very sorry for the problems you've had. I know the excitement must have flown out the window really quick with this one. Hope you get that excitement back for the Yuneec.

Alan,
Please do keep us posted. If nothing else, this bird is supposed to be about as easy as it gets from the box to up in the air. I know you've been flying a while now so I'd also be curious as to what is determined, if it can be determined. I've been flying the 4k since August and it's been super great and I'm sure it will be for you too. Very sorry for the problems you've had. I know the excitement must have flown out the window really quick with this one. Hope you get that excitement back for the Yuneec.
I certainly will keep posted and the results from Yuneec and I am incredibly optimistic about the future with this Q500 4K. I basically built my first DJI Phantom and had fantastic results along with a few lumps and bumps but nothing I couldn't resolve that is why I was so excited about this Yuneec Q500 4K ready to go out of the box. I do RailRoad photography and Videography so this Yuneec should fit in with the rest of my 5 cameras and 15 plus lens' anxious to get going.
Thanks Alan

Alan,

My Q500 4K hasn't had any problems. Like everyone, there's always a few close calls.
Here's some tips I've learned, may it might help you and others.

Any time I lose sight of the drone when I get distracted, usually by others, I always raise the bird higher over the backdrop to locate it again over the distant sky.

When I find the drone isn't reacting like I want, I raise it higher over trouble, before I do anything else.

In home mode, Lots of times it lands where it wants. I usually switch to angle mode on the decent. This positions it much better.

Landing in Safe Mode... if it doesn't react like I want, I simple walk around if there ample room to clear objects. It should still follow you.

I find too, the drone can get confused with controls if directly overhead. Reacts much better a straight distance away.

When it gets closer to the ground landing, always in Turtle Mode.

Always test camera in video and photo before launch, make sure gimble is working properly.

I few time left the camera mount bracket on during flight. Actually lost it over water.

Always try to anticipate trouble before it happens. This way you react correctly, rather than a knee jerk reaction.

Should I launch if I think it's too windy? Usually in a open space I have the drone maybe ten feet in the air, give it some commands and see how stable it reacts to wind. Will also land it first too, to make sure how it drifts closer to the ground. I've broke my share of props landing drones too.

Reactions: Fleamac
Alan,

My Q500 4K hasn't had any problems. Like everyone, there's always a few close calls.
Here's some tips I've learned, may it might help you and others.

Any time I lose sight of the drone when I get distracted, usually by others, I always raise the bird higher over the backdrop to locate it again over the distant sky.

When I find the drone isn't reacting like I want, I raise it higher over trouble, before I do anything else.

In home mode, Lots of times it lands where it wants. I usually switch to angle mode on the decent. This positions it much better.

Landing in Safe Mode... if it doesn't react like I want, I simple walk around if there ample room to clear objects. It should still follow you.

I find too, the drone can get confused with controls if directly overhead. Reacts much better a straight distance away.

When it gets closer to the ground landing, always in Turtle Mode.

Always test camera in video and photo before launch, make sure gimble is working properly.

I few time left the camera mount bracket on during flight. Actually lost it over water.

Always try to anticipate trouble before it happens. This way you react correctly, rather than a knee jerk reaction.

Should I launch if I think it's too windy? Usually in a open space I have the drone maybe ten feet in the air, give it some commands and see how stable it reacts to wind. Will also land it first too, to make sure how it drifts closer to the ground. I've broke my share of props landing drones too.
Thank you so much for the input, all great suggestions and tips and I am truly looking forward to getting back to flying, thanks again, Alan

You more than likely had it in Smart mode which reverses the controls from a Phantom.

Smart mode is sort of like Home Lock pull the stick back towards you and it comes back regardless of where it's pointed.

If you've flown before always use angle mode where the sticks always remain normal

I really think Yuneec needs to rethink the default mode between that and the geo fence even a good pilot can get confused.

Sounds to me as well, that this was his issue..

Sounds to me as well, that this was his issue..
Everything you have said makes total sense and the reason I chose Smart Mode in the Quick Start Guide it say "Smart Mode is typically the best mode for first time pilots to fly in and also features 'Follow Me" Plus I treated the Q500 as a new quad I was unfamiliar with and was following Yuneec suggested guide lines. That being said with two years experience, DJI Phantom, I was paying attention to detail in the user guide of new drone. And yes they need to emphasize the differences in the various modes so new users read this whole post/thread for valuable information.
Thanks again and I see this forum have great benefits for A500 4K pilots.
Alan

Reactions: Fleamac

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval