Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Batteries again!!

Reaction score
Typhoon H. So. I’ve discharged to storage and recharged to full capacity 3 times. Just gone for a flight. Battery reported at 16v before take off. Immediately dropped to 15.6 upon startup and 14.9 within 10 seconds. Flew for 8 minutes then reported low voltage.

I have latest software installed and is calibrated (although will not steady hover at all despite calibrations).

Any ideas?

Typhoon H. So. I’ve discharged to storage and recharged to full capacity 3 times. Just gone for a flight. Battery reported at 16v before take off. Immediately dropped to 15.6 upon startup and 14.9 within 10 seconds. Flew for 8 minutes then reported low voltage.

I have latest software installed and is calibrated (although will not steady hover at all despite calibrations).

Any ideas?
16v is not a full charge so there is part of your problem for a start. Dropping to 15.6 at start up (from 16v) is reasonable but then dropping to 14.9v after just 10 seconds is concerning. 8 minutes to first warning isn't good if the air temperature isn't cold. (you can get short flight times if the battery is cold).

How new is this battery? How many cycles has it been through? Was it cold when you flew it?

That 16v before take off is a worry to me. If fully charged it should have reported 16.7v (16.6v at the very least). Maybe you should turn your attention to your charger?

I have a 4 quad venom charger (piece of crap)! Until I purchased a DY3 charger, the quad would only charge to 6volts.
Once I purchased the DY3 I now can see my voltage per cell and get longer flight time.
@CharlesT I had the same issue with one out of the 3 OM batteries. Yours it's dying:(.
My remaining two originals, I now only get slightly over 13 minutes

Reactions: biltno
I have a 4 quad venom charger (piece of crap)! Until I purchased a DY3 charger, the quad would only charge to 6volts.
Once I purchased the DY3 I now can see my voltage per cell and get longer flight time.
@CharlesT I had the same issue with one out of the 3 OM batteries. Yours it's dying:(.
My remaining two originals, I now only get slightly over 13 minutes

AH-1G,

Ever talk to Venom about your charger?

I had an issue with mine when after some use it took a bit of effort to get some of my batteries to make good contact in one or more ports. Venom sent a new charger.

Unfortunately, the replacement is exhibiting similar issues, but... never had issues with charge levels.

The Venom Duo I now have is pretty good.

Jeff

P.S. I have the DY5 for my H520. Love it. I still need to get cables so I can use the Duo with the 520 batts.

Any ideas?
The hover Issue could be partially the battery. They don't perform to their best when battery is getting low. The copter doesn't hover well for me until about 4 or 5 meters up then it's fine. You'll need to look at charger and be checking for a duff cell and internal resistance.

I’d check internal resistance. Sounds like a bad cell. Those should show ohm numbers in the mid teens and be close to each other. Any cell that’s way above the others is bad and does not store properly anymore hence all the false readings. When I believe a battery is done, I test it by fully charging and then set up and gain a steady hover. I then “gas” the throttle for ascent rapidly and subject the motors to multiple power pulses. A bad battery will almost immediately flash low voltage warnings. I do this about three feet up and disable GPS so I’m in control and often do it indoors in my high ceiling studio.

If the battery can’t handle this, it’s either discharged and stored in my fire proof safe of shame (every time I look in there I cry at the countless money I’ve spent “renting” lithium batteries) or relegated to set up and test only battery. It happens and you’ve got no control over it especially if you push them into long flights constantly, charge them, then let them sit fully charged for too long. Even “smart” batteries can do this if you push them for full power and long flights. At least it’s possible to build your own TH batteries because they have little circuitry and the wiring is less complicated. There were many discussions about this in the first year of the TH480.

AH-1G,

Ever talk to Venom about your charger?
When I purchased the Quad charger sometime in 2017 I also purchased 8 of their batteries, about six months later all the batteries were puffed up.
However they did replace the batteries at no cost. 5 months later I had the same issues with the batteries puffing up!
I never did bother to let them know this the second time around. I blame it on their charger.
The odd thing, is I've been flying on puffed batteries for over a year???:)????
I finally bought two DY3's several months ago. The venom quad is sitting in my closet gathering dust.

When I purchased the Quad charger sometime in 2017 I also purchased 8 of their batteries, about six months later all the batteries were puffed up.
However they did replace the batteries at no cost. 5 months later I had the same issues with the batteries puffing up!
I never did bother to let them know this the second time around. I blame it on their charger.
The odd thing, is I've been flying on puffed batteries for over a year???:)????
I finally bought two DY3's several months ago. The venom quad is sitting in my closet gathering dust.
I've got two DY3 chargers, the one has a funny trait, it doesn't like to charge number 2 bay straight away, shows "battery damaged" leave it to warm up for 5 minutes, all OK.

Thanks for all your replies. I’ve discharged to storage and charged using the Yuneec Charger and still the same happens ☹️ Same with three batteries!

All cells are the same and resistance is below the figure Yuneec show any concern about. I’m not too keen to buy new batteries at £100 each to find it’s not them.

Thanks for all your replies. I’ve discharged to storage and charged using the Yuneec Charger and still the same happens ☹ Same with three batteries!

All cells are the same and resistance is below the figure Yuneec show any concern about. I’m not too keen to buy new batteries at £100 each to find it’s not them.
What readings are they not concerned about? What's the magic numbers they suggest starts alarm bells ringing? And how do you know the charger has correctly charged it?

Resistance readings per cell between 9 and 11. Yuneec reckon they don't worry until it reads 30.

I've used two different chargers now, the supplied Yuneec on and the Overlander RCD-100, with the same results each time.

Resistance readings per cell between 9 and 11. Yuneec reckon they don't worry until it reads 30.

I've used two different chargers now, the supplied Yuneec on and the Overlander RCD-100, with the same results each time.
Show you bought it new and have always managed the batteries? Not leaving fully charged for days and not flying to warnings, and always to storage?

The GiFi batteries have mixed reviews, like most brands.

For the three batteries you own can you give the voltage per cell readings, and the IR of each cell after doing a full balance charge, then the same readings after flying for all three.

It could also be the motors wearing out as a couple members in the forum have had experience with that.

Any ideas?
I had the same problem this weekend, thought it might be low batteries, but all checked ok. After turning on the Typhoon H the batteries dropped below warning level within 60 seconds. Since I've tried everything I can think of, I think it is the battery age. Both of my batteries are about three years old, so I'm going to try replacing them. Problem is, no one has them for sale at the moment.

I’m having the same problem finding replacement batteries. Really don’t want to get rid of the H but lack of flight time and of new batteries is frustrating!

I’m having the same problem finding replacement batteries. Really don’t want to get rid of the H but lack of flight time and of new batteries is frustrating!

The hobbymounts one went yesterday! Early bird as they say!

Another source

Last edited:
I had the same problem this weekend, thought it might be low batteries, but all checked ok. After turning on the Typhoon H the batteries dropped below warning level within 60 seconds. Since I've tried everything I can think of, I think it is the battery age. Both of my batteries are about three years old, so I'm going to try replacing them. Problem is, no one has them for sale at the moment.
Have you checked Carolina Dronz...I just bought one there a couple weeks ago

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech