Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Batteries

Reaction score
I have a Q-500 it's about five years old is it worth buying new batteries for it? I am concerned about the batteries that have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. What do you think?

It's always difficult to answer such a question. The answer is different for different people. It depends on the specific need and level of interest for each person.

I would offer these thoughts:
1.) The Q500 has proven to be one of most durable drones ever produced.
2.) Parts are still in reasonably good supply.
3.) The Q500 is one of the easiest drones to convert to generic aftermarket batteries.
4.) After market Q500 type batteries are easily available.

Do I have newer model drones in the stable? Yes.
Do I still fly the Q500 regularly? Also yes.
But then, that's just me.

If I might add, look closely at the batteries in question of any swelling or puffing of the battery wrap inside the outer cage.

Lipo batteries can go bad in long term storage if not properly set for storage.

If you decide to try and charge them monitor the batteries temperature, any rapid increase in temperature while charging could result in the battery self destructing.,

When I purchased my Q500 the batteries were already showing a bit of puffing as I described, I decided to give it a charge and sure enough a short time into the charge cycle they started to swell and get hotter.
During discharge they got even hotter, so I completely drained the packs for disposal.

I purchased the Gifi 7500's to replace them with, for the price I think they'er a good deal.
Said to have a slightly longer flight time, not much but for the price why not?

Also check your transmitter battery, if it's the rechargeable type take the same precautions.

I chose a different type of lipo battery for my Tx to replace mine, so can't use the stock charger for it.

I use an IMAX B6 V2.o charger, it will charge most types of rechargeable batteries, go to Youtube and search Lipo Batteries, there you will learn much of what you need to understand about these.

Thanks guys I was thinking about purchasing one of the Gifi 7500 Hope I have good luck with it. I will let you know.

I've read positive things about them with the Q's, it takes longer to charge with the stock charger,

If you have the time, this is a good vid about Lipo batteries,,,,

The more you know about them the more you'll get out of them.

I have been looking up this Gifi battery for the Q-500 and it does not get good reviews. I can't seem to find anyone selling a battery for this with good reviews. Yuneec does not sell any of these either. Any suggestion? I did find a company Easy Drone Parts anyone know anything about them ?

If you have the mechanical skills you will find it easy and beneficial to convert your 500 to readily available, standard design lipo batteries that can be obtained from most any hobby distributer.

There’s a detailed thread in the H-480 “How To” forum describing the process for an H. The Q-500 follows the same process.

I have been looking up this Gifi battery for the Q-500 and it does not get good reviews. I can't seem to find anyone selling a battery for this with good reviews. Yuneec does not sell any of these either. Any suggestion? I did find a company Easy Drone Parts anyone know anything about them ?

Yeah I read most of those too, seemed to be to me that they were expecting too much,
I discussed the replacement battery topic here too when I got mine,
I didn't hear of any substantial performance from any of the options, I chose the Gifi because it was about the only replacement battery for the Q500 at that time.

and I'm not expecting a heck of a lot, just hope they work, I'm not trying to sell you on them, it's just what I have.
Think I only paid about $60 or $70 each for mine.

Did you check youtube reviews of them?

Hi . I just looked on ebay tons of batteries. I have had good luck and bad luck with gifi batteries. Seems I received some very old ones from China at one time. I always message seller before I buy and ask him for mfg. date. They all gave me a date recently. I tell them I will send it back if it is old or doesn't pass my tests,IE:eek:hms test or balance. I use a venom pro dual. Keith C.

And then I stumbled into this one,,,,,,,,,,,,
NEVER STAB A LIPO BATTERY PACK WITH ANYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in disbelief as I watched this video, in the first place anybody using a gopro on their head isn't watching his own video's, then he cuts the side of the case, if that knife slips inside the case and shorts the cell's you could be holding your last thing with that hand,
Watch this
or this
LIPO Batteries Fail Explosion Compilation How Not to Burn Down your Home
and you'll observe that the battery will not stop burning just because you put your foot on it.

I like this guy, he's got some good video's
Are You Disposing Your RC Lipo Batteries Correctly? 90% of People Are Doing It Wrong - TheRcSaylors

Last edited:
I did order one from Easy Drone Parts I will let you know how things go

Are your old batteries puffy?
Have you checked your transmitter batteries?
Are you using "AA" batteries or a rechargeable, only reason I'm asking is that it wouldn't be any fun to get your new battery, charge it, go to fly and find out your transmitter is not working,,,,,,

So check it and if you need a new one of those, then now is the time to order it so you don't have to wait a second time to go fly,,,,,,

hey found cables for typhoon h batteries so i can charge them on my regulal battery charger, so could do a balanced charge

My batteries are old but not puffy. I did have one puffy one about two years ago. I do have a good charger a HiTec multi charger I can charge four at a time and balance charge and storage charge works great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz