Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Batteries...

I have the second to the latest firmware and there seems to be a change. I always needed the GUI to test the motors with the props off but apparently now you can start the motors from the ST16 with the props off and they will idle without incident. Just don't attempt to throttle them up unloaded, without the props. I did this the other night to run down my batteries and it worked fine.

hey guys, just reading through all the comments and wanted to throw out the idea of using a balancing charger. The charger I use is a Hitech charger with a custom base that we built that fits the typhoon H battery. These Hitec chargers are capable of dishing out more voltage to the battery, charging it at half the time (1 hour compared to 2) and they are also capable of discharging the battery simply by pressing a button.

This is ideal in order to preserve the battery life, and even take it on airplanes and long trips without carrying a fully charged battery. With the press of a button you can fully drain the battery, put it in storage mode ( drain it to 50%) just drain it until it reaches a desired percentage.
These battery chargers/dischargers are only 100 bucks, pretty affordable and worth it. We use less batteries now because the charge time is cut in half, and as an added bonus it can charge and discharge two batteries at the same time....given you have a modified base that fits its leads.

Definitely something to check out!

Shoot me a message if you would like to discuss it or check our link for a solid and clear description.

I'm not trying to sell a product, just trying to make sure people know there are the proper tools out there that will help us drone guys keep our equipment safe and in good condition.

Hitec X2 AC Plus Dual AC/DC High Output Charger

Merry Christmas all!

Been using the X2 charger for all my batteries for a couple years now. Nothing new and they work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of comments here -- and agree with most -- that LIPO's are tricky and need to be respected.
I have a Phantom 2 vision plus, a Phantom 3 Pro and two Typhoon H'.s.

I've had the Phantom 2 VP for 2.5 years -- 3 batteries -- all still good and at 89% of their life (according to the DJI Flight Assistant Desk-top software). Total flying hours on this unit is well over 40 hours. So far, so good. I do completely discharge the batteries until they won't fire up and recharge to 100%. Then I use a battery discharger to bring them back down to 50% for storage. I do this about every 20 charge cycles as recommended by DJI.

I never store the batteries in the craft. I do store them in cinder blocks on the basement floor during the winter months (long storage) and in fire proof metal boxes during the flying season between flights.

I don't like the fact that the Typhoon H batteries don't have any indicators for charge level -- need a volt meter, connect to the H and monitor via the ST16, or connect the H to the Desktop software to monitor.

I have noticed on the Typhoon Charger that the last 10 minutes or so of charging, the red-charging indicator light blinks faster and the current draw drops significantly (I use a wattage monitor on the chargers). I believe these last few minutes are used for cell balancing. From what I've read, cell balancing is very important and if this step is skipped, you may end up with cell disparities that could cause abnormal heat during discharge or shortened cell / battery life. I am no expert on these things, but from what I've read I think the cell balancing is important.

I wish someone would market a Typhoon dis-charger as they do for the Phantoms, but until then, yes -- I have to let the unit idle without props until it's depleted to 50%. I sometimes use the Typhoon H desktop software while monitoring and help it along a bit by pressing the test motors function. I also let the camera spin 360 constantly to help draw down the voltage. However, the best and fastest way is to simply fly it.

Yes -- a lot of information about LIPO's is available on the net. There's also a very good video about how well fireproof boxes and bags really work. This video is 11 minutes -- but really covers all the "fire-proof" options with actual tests:

Again, all good advice above regarding LIPO Battery care.
And, at the risk of hearing a lot of feedback, I do have to make one comment about those who demand that you do a job in a moment's notice -- presenting the need to keep a charged battery on hand. I understand a need to not have to tell a client to wait an hour. I have 3 chargers and could have 3 batteries up to charge in just about an hour. With all the respect in the world and understanding there are some situations where it's completely plausible for this to occur, I might suggest (and here it comes) to be very careful of "on demand" clients who have a "get it done now" attitude. I'll suggest that battery charging issues may not be the only issue to prepare for with these types of clients who may not fully understand all the risks and preparations required to put these devices safely in the air. Perhaps some education for them would be best (unless you're covering news stories). I've prepared a whole presentation for clients about safe flying and all the things that we have to do ensure safety. Once they understand, perhaps they'll back off a bit from a "Gotta have it now" premise.

most good aftermarket chargers will discharge to storage, you will just need the battery charge cable,

I personally use the Icharger 3010b and that has the ability to discharge to storage and do something called regenerative discharge which means if your charger is connected to a 12v battery for charging it will use the battery your discharging to charge the main battery.

Also if you have 4 battery leads and 4 batteries in parallel then you can charge/discharge all of them at once.

Hey guys.......what about Yuneec A-10 dual balance charger ? Can this charger discharge also ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder