Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery blinking blue light

The wire colors can vary from one manufacturer to another. Strip the wires enough to put test leads of a multimeter on them and find the two that give you +5VDC. Then solder them to pins that will wedge into the battery connectors. Label them so you can be able know which is ground and which is +5VDC.

The modified USB Cable - Do you just cut the end off and take the Red and Black wires out and peel them back and leave the extra wires? Or is there more to it?

THE PISTONS,

Welcome to the YuneecPilots community!

We are a group that shares our knowledge of the hobby/business and welcome pilots of all skill levels and backgrounds. Please read the Community Rules found at the bottom of the webpage, and make use of the Forum Search (it is restricted to this forum) for any question you have before posting. Chances are that the answer is waiting for your question. That being said, please join in and share your experiences with the community.

We appreciate when new members make use of the Introduction area of the forum to tell us a little about themselves and their interests in multirotor aircraft.

You must be a basketball fan from Michigan!

You are looking for 5volts, and while I did not look it up, Black is normally negative and red would be positive. Note the USB 5v is fairly low current, between 50ma and 200ma, give or take. The upper end, 200ma would be better to use for a few minutes. The numbers indicate the ma per hour, meaning if you keep attached (charging) for 1 hour, you have put in 200ma. If you have a volt meter you can check the 5v before you attach to the battery.

Cool. I do have a volt meter.

Do you think I would be able to use the USB cable plugged into a laptop to charge it?

You can use any 5v source as the battery voltage is 4.2v (charged - one cell). What you don’t know if the charging current. It won’t be much (not over 300ma) and you could measure the current (DC) if your meter has a current setting - most do. YOU MUST MEASURE IN SERIES not directly across the battery, but in series with the charging source. Set the meter to a 250 ma or less setting.

It’s not necessary to do that, only if you are interested.

I’d guess a laptop would be 100ma or less. If you have a cell phone USB charger it will have the 5v current written on it - very small print. iPhone chargers are 100ma or 200ma, and written on the charger.

I’ll caution you, one cell might be ‘bad’ and the chances of restoring it are not very good. Just watch it close.

My battery 2 has a 0 cell so I know to charge that.

Battery 1 has:
Which do I charge there?

Charge the .8 volt cells, ONE AT A TIME. The 2.1v is ok. You need to get the .8v up to about 1.6 - 1.8v, then try the Breeze charger again. Charge for about 20 minutes at a time then check with the volt meter. Go slow on this. Much better to check more often than to overcharge.

The Breeze charger may take a while to balance the pack once you get it charging. Don’t worry about that.

Can someone post a picture of what it would look like when charging a cell? I'm not exactly sure what to connect the USB wires to.

Can someone post a picture of what it would look like when charging a cell? I'm not exactly sure what to connect the USB wires to.

I will post a pic of my setup later this evening.

You will see a picture soon it sounds like. Basically you’ll have 2 wires, a positive (red normally) and negative (Black normally). These will connect to ONE cell at a time. The red to the red (positive to positive) and negative to negative. This will charge ONE cell independently of the others. You don’t want to leave it charging more than about 20 minutes at a time, checking the voltage after each 20 minute interval. When the voltage is up to about 2.8-3 volts put the battery on the Breeze charger, it should charge and balance then.

And while this may work for a few charges remember the cell went bad for some reason. It will go bad again. Keep a close eye on it.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Scott and Doom, you guys rock. I probably risked doing something wrong, but I did not have a multimeter, so I decided to charge all three. Started with 2min each and got nothing. I was seriously going to give up and decided to give 5 min a try. It worked like a charm. Not only did it work, I learned a lot in the process. Doom, thanks for the pictures and drawings, I never would have been able to do this without those. You kinda made this dummy proof. Youjyst save me time and money.

Scott and Doom, you guys rock. I probably risked doing something wrong, but I did not have a multimeter, so I decided to charge all three. Started with 2min each and got nothing. I was seriously going to give up and decided to give 5 min a try. It worked like a charm. Not only did it work, I learned a lot in the process. Doom, thanks for the pictures and drawings, I never would have been able to do this without those. You kinda made this dummy proof. Youjyst save me time and money.

Glad you are up and running!

A word of caution though, a battery that gives the blue flashing light has a problem. It may be temporary or permanent. Keep an eye on that battery, and if it keeps having trouble remove it from service. Check out Scott's sticky post on LiPo battery safety at the top of the Breeze Discussion area.

hey guys, silly question, but where do I get pins to attach to the tips of the USB wire (would any pins do or are there special pins for electric connections??)

A little math. USB provides between 50 and 200ma (milliamps) and is (basically) a fixed current depending on the charger you use. This means the source (USB in this case) provides that much current PER HOUR. The Breeze battery is 1350ma (1.3 amps) as I recall. Most LiPo batteries charge at what’s called 1C (where a ‘C’ is the battery capacity- in this case 1.3 amps). So charging at 50-200ma, where very safe, will take a while. If I figure 100ma, charging a 10% charged battery will basically take about 13 hours. If you can find a 5v source that provides 1-5 amps and charge for 10 minutes at a time - then checking the voltage of the battery, it will save you hours of time. You are not charging the battery back to full capacity, but just enough to get the Yuneec charger to work. Just a thought.

The charger I exchanged is working well. The first one was defective, the “blue flashing light”, and in my case the charger was flashing red, green, blue. After exchange the charger flashes red and green, at various times, and solid green with the charge is complete. All working fine.
You are a master. Ty

Outstanding! Thank you. I bought a couple (well, 7!) Breeze w/controller kits. 3 came with dead batteries. I setup a USB cable as instructed, plugged them in 1 cell at a time, with a voltmeter checking constantly. Got each one to 3.80V (with USB still plugged in, real voltage about 3.6)

First battery pack, with bated breath, plugged into charger, and blinking red charge light!

Now all 3 "dead" packs are on separate chargers, blinking away. Don't know if they will all or even 1 come back to life, but at least there is hope!

One for each day of the week, how cool is that.

Be sure to check each one out thoroughly and all accessories too. The controllers can take several hours to charge. The Power button between the sticks will flash while charging, and become solid when fully charged. All of the controllers will also most likely require the firmware update to properly control the camera tilt. See this thread Breeze G3 Controller Update - Updated 07/07/2018.

Take your birds to a large unpopulated open field and do the compass calibration while facing magnetic north and the camera facing you. Then fly each one in every Task mode making sure it responds properly. Instructions for each mode can be found by tapping the ‘?’ once you enter the task.

Fly safe and have fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval