Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery life

Reaction score
What kind of flight times are you guys seeing? Before I purchased I thought people were talking about 20 + minutes. I'm not sure I'm even getting to 18 minutes???

Jim

What kind of flight times are you guys seeing? Before I purchased I thought people were talking about 20 + minutes. I'm not sure I'm even getting to 18 minutes???

Jim
hi
have you checked the voltage after the batteries are done charging , each cell should have 4.20 volts or near it , a total of 12.6 volts .
go to this site to learn about LIPO's
A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries - Roger's Hobby Center - Radio Control (R/C or RC) Cars, Boats, Airplanes, Puzzles, Plastic Models, & Trains - Saginaw, MI
fly safe

Sometimes it depends on flight conditions. If you're flying while it's windy your Q will have to fight against the wind, or if you're flying in rabbit mode making a lot of constant moves that can also shorten battery flight time.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
Sometimes I just take it up to 60' and just record a soccer game and even then without maneuvering on a calm day 16-18 is all I get... Thanks for info I will read up on it...

Jim

Another question would be are there better aftermarket batteries than the ones that come with the Q-500???

Interesting. All the talk of flying 25 minutes I read appears to be all talk. Looks like around 18 is all you can expect...,

i think 20 minutes is about the average time , give or take a minute one way or the other using the 5400 mah batteries , since the stock yuneec 5400 batteries are really 6300 mah and if you charge the batteries at 6.3 amps you mite get one or two more minutes of fly time . not a big thing for me 20 minutes is just fine .
fly safe

Reactions: Jpack
I have a question, what is your internal resistance of your yunnec battery?
2016-03-24%2015.28.06.jpg
2016-03-24%2016.13.25.jpg

Too many variables to answer this question. What charger, what state of charge, what charge rate, where is the cycle is the measurement taken.

Too many variables to answer this question. What charger, what state of charge, what charge rate, where is the cycle is the measurement taken.

The goal of my question is to compre my 2 lipo i have. The results i have post is the state of my original LIPO in the Typhoon 4K Kit. Approx 15 cycles 1C rate charge, 5400mAh and the ohms values is for a full charge of battery.

I don't think anyone will get 20 minutes or more unless you stop recording video or taking photos.
It has to be draining the battery at a much faster rate, all that processing of data plus GPS.

If I'm running low on battery power and the bird is still far away, first thing I do is shut of the camera.

Hi Jim, you will have read about a lot of good ideas hear but also a lot of rubbish regarding lipo batteries.
To start with you will only get out what the MAH are stated on the battery and it is an absolute
furfy to say you can get more if you set the AMPS charging rate higher you need to be very careful with this
only set it at the batteries stated mah (amps) AN EXPLOSION CAN HAPPEN.
The flight times depends on a lot of factors as mentioned here already so the best thing is to keep a mental
note what you do at each flight and you will get a feel for the times you get.
Also New batteries will get better times with more careful charging (minimum of Ten times).
Cheers, JV

I was out today and tried an experiment I have suspected that when running videos most of the time 15 minutes is about as safe as I can get on a new battery.
Next battery flew for 35 minutes taking about half dozen photos at about 400 feet out and 200 feet up.
The third battery I flew fast and high taking a few videos and photos and got a low battery at 400 feet up and barely got it down in time, 20 minutes.
Bottom line you have to pay attention to"everything" when you fly, weather, wind, taking videos, flying fast and climbing fast. I have two DJI Phantoms
and they will fly circles around these Yuneec's, the Yuneec's are very slow in response time. Do love the camera that takes fantastic videos in 4K though.
Will have more insights later, Alan

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Batteries, batteries, batteries.ỳ

How long is a piece of string?

Information gleaned from this and other forums, including the yuneec Q500 4K manual and YouTube has armed me with the following snippets.

i) If you want an extended life on your new, expensive, battery then break it in gently. Something called 10X10 will help do this. Fly for only ten minutes for the first ten uses or charge/discharge cycles. A battery treated this way will reach it's optimum charge capacity.
ii) Only fly for 80% of the charge in a "broken in" battery .. that is don't drain too much and, besides, you have the extra in reserve for any emergency.
iii) Keep the provided charger and balance as a backup and invest in a good one. This will not only let you know what is going on inside those cells but also help provide longevity of your multi-copter's power source.

There's a lot more but I'm still digesting and trying to follow these for now.

I have a new question, I have a battery that wont charge the charger just keep blinking in the charge mode, other then the fact that the battery is no good, why would it go bad like this? And would this be a factory defect?

Is this with the supplied charger?

Seems a common problem, I encountered it too, that the fuse goes and yet the lights continue to show as charging but it's just playing fooled ya!

Check the 7.5 Blade type fuse in the top.

Oh oh.

The moment I saw the thread about the fuse issue I ordered a Hitec X4AC

I am over the moon about it, it works astoundingly ... meaning it does exactly what it should and shares everything it's up to.

Definitely recommend it but anything would be better than the paper weight I was trying to use.

Is this with the supplied charger?

Seems a common problem, I encountered it too, that the fuse goes and yet the lights continue to show as charging but it's just playing fooled ya!

Check the 7.5 Blade type fuse in the top.
like ddraiggoch said it's most likely the fuse, and also the Hitec X4AC charger is fantastic i have been using mine for over two years , save the original Yuneec charger as a spare or use it as a paper weight .
fly safe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval