Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery maintinance

I have the function on my HTRC C240 Duo chargers. Hook up the battery, scroll to the function and get the reading I less than a second. It is not metrology lab accurate, but still usable for our purposes. Many other chargers are capable of the same.
Please, I've been following many threads down many rabbit holes of over my head technology on internal resistance. Could someone tell me or point me in the direction of good, practical internal resistance for the Typhoon batteries. I do understand that the smaller the number the better, but what is an acceptable range? What is the range of a bad battery? Thanks for any help that anybody can offer.

It's important that the internal resistance isn't dramatically different between cells, which could mean a bad cell and prone to failure, I've got some batteries in single digits 3/4 milliohmns and a few just getting into double digits 9/10 milliohmns per cells, the lower the better, and the subsequent improvement in flight times,

The UltraX batteries are starting to show a higher IR. That explains the more rapid drop in battery voltage right at the start of flight. What voltage do you store them at?

Now an old question. What causes the battery to puff up and if one is ballooning but charges properly is it done for?

If it puffs up too much it could cause major problems, and could get stuck in the copter! You could use just for on the ground calibrations checked etc.
Is a swollen battery dangerous?

Simply put, yes. It is generally not recommended to continue using a swollen LiPo battery, although it is still possible to use a few more times until you get a replacement. Special care must be taken when charging a swollen LiPo battery. If possible, have it charged away from flammable materials or in a fire-proof container. A swollen LiPo battery is also particularly sensitive to mechanical failure of the casing, so avoid tampering or any type of impact that will pierce, dent or damage the battery.

If you really must, use that swollen LiPo battery, then go for it at your own risk. As long as you’re careful, it should be fine. However, you should be looking for a replacement as soon as your battery starts to show any swelling. It will only get worse over time, and you can only push your luck so much.

What causes a LiPo battery to swell?

To understand why a LiPo battery (or any other battery, for that matter) swells, we need to understand how its individual components interact to make the battery work. All batteries are made with three basic components: a negative end, a positive end, and an electrolyte solution. Batteries conduct electricity via the migration of ions from the positive end to the negative end and vice-versa. These ions can travel through the electrolyte solution.

LiPo batteries are distinct from the old-fashioned lithium-ion batteries due to their use of a solid polymer electrolyte. Through this solid electrolyte, lithium ions can move between the two terminals of a LiPo battery. A LiPo battery also has polymer separator that keeps the positive and negative terminals from coming into contact with each other.

Batteries swell because of the phenomenon of electrolyte decomposition. As its name implies, this is the process where the electrolyte solution decomposes into its individual components. In most cases, these components include oxygen. In the case of LiPo batteries, the polymeric nature of the electrolyte means that they also tend to produce carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO) when they decompose. The production of these gases is what causes a LiPo battery to expand and swell.

There have been a lot of instances of LiPo batteries catching fire while they are plugged in. The chances of a LiPo battery charging fire is even higher once electrolytic decomposition has kicked in, as the oxygen-rich gases are very flammable, A good practice to follow is once your LiPo battery has indicated that the battery is full, disconnect the battery and switch the charger off at the wall, and never leave the battery connected to the charger unattended.

One thing to remember about battery swelling is that it cannot be avoided. Electrolyte decomposition is a naturally occurring process, albeit it should be a slow one. However, improper maintenance of the battery can accelerate the decomposition process.

Last edited:
The UltraX batteries are starting to show a higher IR. That explains the more rapid drop in battery voltage right at the start of flight. What voltage do you store them at?
Since I've gotten a little smarter I have been storing my batteries at 3.75V/cell or 15V /pack. I probably went a year with batteries stored at full charge.

Since I've gotten a little smarter I have been storing my batteries at 3.75V/cell or 15V /pack. I probably went a year with batteries stored at full charge.
Your practice now is much better. Storing at full charge is rough on them. If you use an iOS device there is a nice free app called LiPo Watch (hanger42.nl) that you can keep records of your battery charging history and track IR also. It will allow you to see trends in the battery performance.

I just went to the website www.hanger42.nl and they still have the app, but it is no longer available in the US App Store. Apple can be such a pain sometimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss