Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Storage. Work in progress.

Reaction score
I had a brainstorm, epiphany, call it what you will, last night.

Okay, okay, it may welll have been cerebral flatulence!!!

Your opinions, scoffs, constructive criticism are welcome. Indeed requested.

Okay, here it is.

Take one of those cheap steel, tin?, filing cabinets.

You know the sort. Two large drawers with a smaller one at the top. See image 1

Line the bottom drawer, base, sides, front and back, with cement board. Image 2

In the base of the middle drawer drill a two inch hole.

Place a plastic bag of sand. image 3

Stand the whole thing on another cement board. Surround the back and sides with some (12) narrow cinder blocks. Still working on that.

Top with another cement board (all pieces should will cut from a single sheet) and a trimmed piece of plywood to make it look pretty (Nice place to situate a printer?)

Voila!!!! Relatively safe (self extinguishing in the event of fire) battery storage?
image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG

Reactions: Rayray and GRH
I like it and have seen similar things done in a single layer box...so a good idea!

I assume you charge LiPo's in the bottom drawer and the heat bursts the sandbag, hopefully extinguishing the fire? How does the sand get from the middle to bottom drawer?

I like it and have seen similar things done in a single layer box...so a good idea!

I assume you charge LiPo's in the bottom drawer and the heat bursts the sandbag, hopefully extinguishing the fire? How does the sand get from the middle to bottom drawer?

Drill a two inch hole in the base of the middle drawer and place sand bag over it. :)

Actually i charge lipos on a base and "backsplash" of ceramic tiles and stay with them throughout charging.

I am planning (constructing) this for storage only.

Oh i see! So the bag melts and the sand funnels in slowly? Love it!

Without the LiPo's, have you tried melting the plastic over the hole to see if it filters through as intended?

I may use this idea.

Oh i see! So the bag melts and the sand funnels in slowly? Love it!

Without the LiPo's, have you tried melting the plastic over the hole to see if it filters through as intended?

I may use this idea.

Hmmm not ran a test ... perhaps I should and then replace the bag (line the middle drawer) with some lighter/ thinner plastic.

Would be really interested to find out...you may have a saleable product there buddy!

Would be really interested to find out...you may have a saleable product there buddy!

Modified filing cabinets?

Hmmmm lol

Mind you anyone with a tape measure and a screwdriver could assemble one in less than a couple of hours tops.

Measure and mark the boards, score and snap ... easy peasie lol

Modified filing cabinets or not...i would pay for someone to do it for me, if it worked.

People don't want the hassle. Go for it!

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Interesting idea. How common are Lipo fires? What general activity is most likely to cause one? Is just storage a source of concern? My Gun Safe has a internal power outlet but is full of expensive WWII Curios and Relics. I have other smaller valuables safes but they do not have power inside.

Interesting idea. How common are Lipo fires? What general activity is most likely to cause one? Is just storage a source of concern? My Gun Safe has a internal power outlet but is full of expensive WWII Curios and Relics. I have other smaller valuables safes but they do not have power inside.
On the whole, LIPO fires are not very common in the larger scheme of things, but when they do happen in a person's home the consequences are often catastrophic.

Lipo fires often occur when the battery is misshandled or when the aircraft it is in has crashed. They often occur during the charging cycle so care must be taken during charging.

Once a LiPo fire has started it is very difficult to put out. Probably one of the best methods to extinguish a LiPo fire is to smother it in sand as the OP suggests in his invention.

The weight of an additional cement board on top of the sandbag,
might help accelerate the flow rate of the sand, once started.

Unless there is a funnel with steep enough "sides" it is doubtful the expected sand drop volume will be as expected. Perhaps a larger hole or trap door effect to let more of the volume pass through is in order.

Cut out the bottom of the top drawer and leave a 1" around the perimeter. Drop a BBQ style grill inside and place the sand bag on top of the grill. This should give you a 100% sand drop.

I have seen in lipo battery testing bunkers a single cell the size of a credit card burn through a 1/4 stainless steel encloser which in turn is surrounded by a cement bunker.

In li fires you are looking to 'cool' down as rapidly as possible the lithium fire as opposed to starving of oxygen. The sand structure will isolate and possibly absorb the heat, so good choice. Counter-intuitve is to put a burning li battery into water to cool down rapidly although the lithium will continue to transform to a plasma state in water, it will cool down enough to stop that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReparacionDronesMedellin