Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Binding and GPS issues, plus FC module question.

Reaction score
Thank you for the enhanced user and WTFD project! Very useful!

I have a Typhoon H with the latest firmware and have had on and off issues with it acquiring GPS satellites. It was purchased from a secondhand store and from my inspection it was in a crash (kinked camera board wires and scratches). I have flown it a few times, but GPS satellite acquisition either works right away or after waiting for 30 minutes (in a good clear area), I just give up and put it away. I checked the ST16 and the satellites are good on that end. I opened the drone up and checked the GPS battery and the voltage was at 1.66v. I turned on the bird for 30 minutes and cannot get it to charge past 2.7v. Don’t know if that is good or not.

I cannot get the bird to bind now either. I followed the steps for “verifying binding” from the enhanced user manual bind it and cannot get past step 35 (tried twice, orange receiver light is good too). Double checked to make sure wires were seated well and nothing got knocked loose when opened the bird up.

Also, when opening the bird, I noticed a red and blue flashing light on the FC module. Does anyone know what this means?

I am trying to troubleshoot and repair this as cheaply as possible. I know it is either the GPS module, the FC module or possibly the main board, or any combination. If anyone has any insight as to which to change first, it is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
shan

I followed the steps for “verifying binding” from the enhanced user manual bind it and cannot get past step 35 (tried twice, orange receiver light is good too).
Please help me understand what you saw. Step 35 is " Verify the orange LED visible through the left rear air vent on the bottom of the Typhoon H is flashing slowly, ~ 1/sec.", which I first assumed you meant the orange LED was dark, but then you added 'orange receiver light is good too". That creates an opportunity for me to misunderstand exactly what you saw. Was maybe the LED "on" but not flashing?

I'm sorry, never got past step 37, no flashing orange light on back of bird after trying to manually bind.

My TH has had a problem with this also. Try this before we declare it a failure:
1.) Ensure camera is NOT mounted.
2.) Remove Props.
3.) Turn on drone.
4.) Wait for rear LED to start flashing blue.
5.) Turn drone completely upside down and hold a few seconds. Repeat turning over a couple of times, and also a couple times at less than fully upside down.

If it it does not start flashing orange, turn off the drone and then repeat the process maybe two more times. If it still doesn't work, we have to consider a failure of the IMU chip.

I just did it on mine, which is known to be stubborn. I probably flipped it around about 20 times before the thing finally went orange flashing. Stubborn beast, sometimes.

It finally started flashing orange after a few times!! Now I have to go back and look at the steps again to figure out what to do next again, lol!

Reactions: WTFDproject
I got through the binding verification steps listed in the Enhanced manual, but the GPS is still stuck in the "acquiring" mode. I have the bird sitting outside to try and acquire satellites, but a warning keeps popping up on the ST16 while it tries to acquire GPS satellites that says "GPS lost, maintain manual flight!" Here are screenshots from the ST16.

Attachments

• IMG_5643.jpg
    IMG_5643.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5644.jpg
    IMG_5644.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5645.jpg
    IMG_5645.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
You have plenty of satellites. But the signal either isn't "clean" enough to get a reliable fix, or the calculation is not running right, or the GPS almanac did not update properly during the time it was outside. Do you ever get even an occasional "ready" light?

You probably need a new FC board, but that's a big guess. You don't have particularly low GPS voltage readings. It will take many hours to fully charge. That thing charges very slowly. But it's only for maintaining standby anyway. With the drone powered up, the GPS is getting all the voltage it needs to operate from the drone itself, and it should not take more than 30 minutes to update it's almanac no matter how dead the GPS battery is.
I would suggest letting it sit outside for an hour or two to give it a really good chance to get it's GPS act together. If that doesn't work, then a new FC board would be my first guess. Do you have spare parts, or know someone that can swap FC boards with you to see if it makes a difference before spending money on something that is not certain to be the issue?

I let the drone sit out where I have flown it successfully before for 40 min, still stuck at “acquiring satellites”. I am going to replace the FC module and see if that works. Do I need to reinstall the firmware on this?

thanks,
shan

Attachments

• B48063F7-3B2C-401D-A1E7-3C34A6ECE54D.jpeg
    B48063F7-3B2C-401D-A1E7-3C34A6ECE54D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
Once you replace the FC, power on the ST16, go to System Settings, and About Controller. Compare the firmware to your present firmware and flight app versions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval