Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bird play...attack

Reaction score
Hello all, So I was out flying the mantis today and seemed to attract the attention of some local hawks/falcons. It seems they do not like drones very much. Thankfully I’ve become very skilled in flying my mantis and was able to evade and play with these birds in sport mode. Anyway, what I think caught their attention was my flight pattern. I was flying lazy long circles about 120ft elevation just looking at the formations on the ground and occasionally checking line of site to my mantis when this bird flew in from a nearby field and nearly collided with me. Popped it in sport and high tailed it back to my location with the bird in hot pursuit, started a hard zig zag pattern when it looked like the bird was actually going to catch me. It was intent and didn’t break away until I was about 15ft from my control point. Ha ha missed me I gloated. So I still had power to burn so I flew low and out to see if they were really trying to attack the mantis, about 800ft away climbed up and sure enough not one but three joined in this time. Same result got back to me and they broke away. Anyone else have birds behave this way when they are flying?

I was flying my H about 6 weeks ago up in the mountains. A Bald Eagle got curious and started circling the drone. I immediately started heading home and the eagle followed me almost all of the way back, slowly circling. Even in Rabbit mode, I am certain that if he found me a threat, I wold have been toast. I have a feeling that if I tried that now, with young chicks in the nests, they would have not been so forgiving.

At first over here by the lake Ospreys didn't like my dorone, now thy have somewhat grown attached. I learned not to do circles, that's usually an indication you're looking for food.

Any bird will attack or try to drive off other aerial threats approaching it’s nesting area.

A word for the OP;

If your drone is approached by, or you see a raptor, which includes hawks, falcons, eagles, owls, ospreys, and others, your smart move is to depart the area. In the U.S. they are federally protected and to “play” with, harass, or challenge them can place you in a whole lot of trouble with the law. Should you cause death or injury to one you can expect heavy fines and jail time. Many people watch birds and will report your actions in a heart beat.

Reactions: biltno
Fortunately if I accidentally slice an Osprey or some other precious something, we have gators that'll eat the evidence.?

Or your TH if the bird wins o_O

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G
If they are simply doing what they would do naturally, I’m not quite sure that qualifies as harassment? Bird photographers sometimes encourage a bird to take flight to get a great shot. But I will quail curiosity next time and simply yield the right of way.

Ospreys when diving for fish usually do not fly higher than 30 to 50 feet.

UAS BIRD STRIKES

The 2018 International Ornithological Congress held a session on "Using Drones to Study and Conserve Birds." Here are some findings/recommendations:
  • Keep 50 meters (+150') from nesting birds as the drone's presence and noise interferes with bird behavior. Many species are more or less sensitive to drones, but this is generally recognized as a safe distance.
  • Raptors (eagles, falcons, hawks, etc) are territorial and will strike drones when perceived as a threat.
  • Gulls will often strike drones when in proximity of nesting areas.
  • Most of these birds fly faster than a typical UAV, especially when the raptor is in a dive.
  • The ideal evasive maneuver is to fly away from the nesting or hunting area then return to the ground station. That may mean not returning in a direct path.
  • If the bird is at a lower or same altitude, ascending should be included in the evasive maneuver as this requires more energy from the bird and will decrease its speed.
  • Do not descend vertically at high speed as this may result in vortex ring state.
  • Do not attempt to "out-fly" or tire the bird, as the birds will certainly outlast the battery time, and "tiring" the bird with aerobatics could be viewed as a form of harassment for birds that are protected species.
My UAVs have been circled by eagles, osprey and red-tailed hawks without incident. Often I hover the drone so they can closely inspect and identify it as a non-threat. This approach was not supported by ornithologists from other countries who experienced bird strikes when trying this.

Note: Dutch, French and Swiss authorities have trained eagles to attack drones flying in illegal airspace.

Yep, am aware of this.
This is more or less my back yard for our Home Owners Association.
I've been coming here for the last two years and observing the wonderful wildlife we have.
I'm also on the University of Florida "|Lake Watch Project" for Lake Apopka.
I'll be out this evening for another aerial sunset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430