Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

BTG Props causing runaway?

Reaction score
I'm new to the Breeze so there are plenty of things I don't know. First though is a question of aftermarket, BTG, props for the Breeze. With all the bad weather here (VA) I've been using the (new) Breeze inside (mostly) and, predictably, breaking props. Considering their cost, I purchased cheaper BTG props from Amazon.

I first noticed that the BTG did not freely move after installation the way the originals did. Caliper check showed me the inside diameter of the screew opening was 2.18mm compared to the OEM 2.48mm. And the depth of the pivot point is 2.65m compared with the OEM blade 2.58mm. That means it binds when inserted into the motor mount and the screw binds when secured even lightly.

So I tested it. Breeze lifted off fine to hover height (about four feet) for one second and then went absolutely crazy -- straight up at light speed and immediately finding the ceiling at 10 feet. Not pretty. Not controllable. I've ordered OEM blades and hope that's the problem but could it also be a bad motor or something else?

Until now it's all worked great but I certainly can't trust it like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Aftermarket props' size and weight are very different from Yuneec OEM props.
Use only Yuneec OEM props or the Breeze will feel like a person walking wearing a shoe and a boot.

Thanks. I certainly understand the value of OEM parts in 90% of the cases and I would have expected some imbalance and problem in controls with the aftermarket pieces. But this response doesn't mach anything I would have expected...a direct vertical runaway after a momentary pause at the proper hover height. Very curious.

Maybe a clue. I replaced the BTG props with some of the OEM originals which had only the tips broken off. It came to a hover just as it was supposed to do. That gives me a strong belief it was the imbalanced props that caused the violent upward flyaway.

BUT...I also abandoned the controller for this last experiment and used the cellphone in pilot mode instead. It's possible there was a problem with the controller. Before I try again, I' bringing the controller to full charge. I'll report back on that.

While I'm waiting I have another question about the motors. Amazon sells front and back motors while suppliers here sell CW and counter-CW. Can someone tell me which motor go which direction?

BTW, thank you to forum members for helping Obviously I'm new here and obviously need guidance. I'm also new to any kind of drone which isn't a pure toy but I love the Breeze aftr the few days and many disasters I've had. Thanks again for your willingness to reach out and help a stranger. Here's hoping eventually I can give back.

Final entry for this problem. Using nicked but OEM original props the Breeze flew as it should in controller mode. So the problem was the aftermarket BTG props purchased from Amazon. I'll be happy to tell them about the bad specs and the disastrous results of the BTG props.

And for this forum, I've learned my lesson. Saving a couple bucks on parts could have cost me the price of the Breeze had I not been inside. Let's hope that's definitive end of the problem. If it's really something else, I guess I've always got the flight log and GPS coordinates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval