Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

C23 camera... how many pixels for video

Reaction score
I have been a photographer for over 30 years, long before the current digital sensors and cameras that are around today. I have and still fly the Q500+ units(the white ones) and have recently bought a Typhoon H+. I'm sure that most all here know that the H+ has the C23 camera and that it has a 20 megapixel sensor. And, I'm pretty sure that the 20 megapixel figure is for the still photos that can be taken with it. Video, even HD video, does not require that amount of pixels for video image files. Does anyone have any documentation as to how many megapixels of the sensor are being used for producing video?

As an example... lets take a look at the CGO2+ and CGO3 cameras. In each of these cameras a 16 megapixel sensor was used for the still photos. But, only about 12.4 megapixels were used for the video and that also includes the 4K stream that was made by the CGO3 in the Q500 4K(black A/C) version. I also believe that the image sensor was the same sensor in both cameras. The CGO3 just had different firmware and software to allow the user to make many more choices of still photos and different video streams to suit their needs.

CGO3+ and neighbours have 12 megapixels sensor. See attachment. Here is a commercial trick. 4 pixels on the matrix are equal to one pixel on the raw image. C23 has two times more.

Attachments

• imx117cqt.pdf
    483.9 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Quadflyer Gary
Just checked for C23. The sensor is 3:2 with max effective pixels 5472X3648.

Yes, that figure is correct for the maximum pixel resolution for photos is 5472 x 3648. And, multiplying those two figures is roughly 19.96 million. When you set the image quality to high def you get a photo file that yields a photo with 72dpi. But, what also surprised me was that when you set it to super def, the highest setting, you still get a photo file of only 72dpi. I was expecting it to be more like 200dpi. For I have Nikon DSLR's that provide 300dpi at their highest settings.

In regards to the video files. 4096 x 2160 is the highest setting. So those two figures give us about 8.85 million pixel count for video images. I was expecting that figure to be a bit higher which is why I was asking the question if anyone had documentation that actually referenced the actual count. I just looked at the specs for an image pic that I shot this week with the CGO2+ and it was 4608 x 3456, (for a pic file) which yields about 15.93 megapixels. If you go back to my first post in this thread I state that Yuneec provides figures for the Q500 4K that video is 12 megapixels. If the pixel array is 4096 x 2160(this is the 4K pixel array that is in the Q500 4K manual), that would yield about 8.85 for video and not the 12 stated. Someone else with the CGO3 camera recording 4K at highest setting would have to confirm this. To add to this confusion, the Q500+(white version) with CGO2+ camera only has HD 1920 x 1080 recording ability for video. I wonder if anyone has taken apart the O2+ and O3 and if the sensors are the same as I suspect , but, different firmware and software. There is no doubt that the C23 has the bigger, and better, image sensor and is capable of much better images in lower light than the CGO2+ or CGO3 cameras.

Last edited:
If I see somewhere a cheap CGO2 I'll buy it to see what is inside. The lens aperture is probably smaller, doesn't matter how big is the sensor.

About the dpi. You probably read this from EXIF in the picture. There usually stays 72, because this is a maximal density, visible on the computer monitor. For printing is necessary more. Make some shots in DNG format. Use some software for RAW image handling and you'll get real figures. Not sure CGO2 supports RAW pictures at all, but as I said, I'll buy it just to see it.

Reactions: Steve Carr
If I see somewhere a cheap CGO2 I'll buy it to see what is inside. The lens aperture is probably smaller, doesn't matter how big is the sensor.

About the dpi. You probably read this from EXIF in the picture. There usually stays 72, because this is a maximal density, visible on the computer monitor. For printing is necessary more. Make some shots in DNG format. Use some software for RAW image handling and you'll get real figures. Not sure CGO2 supports RAW pictures at all, but as I said, I'll buy it just to see it.
I use Paint Shop Pro X7 & X9 for photo editing. And they do show 300dpi for images from my Nikon's. I usually drop the dpi down to 72 when I post images on the net. Video editing is done via Vegas Pro. Thanks Vaklin for all additional help.

I have made some edits to my text in an above post and they are in RED. I also think that many people may still have good Q500's(Yuneec sold a lot of them) but bad/broken image sensors. And if the sensors are indeed the same and have the same mounting system inside the camera, then the sensors should be plug-n-play swap-able and no changes to firmware or linking to the camera/controller should be necessary.

Last edited:
Today we read. If till tomorrow qestions are still not answered, I'll try to explain in deep.

Now I'm typung with one finger on my handy, so can't do produce anything valuable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval