Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can the GPS be turned off manually for the H plus?

Wrong again. FAA rules for "aircraft" don't apply to "drones" - they wrote new and specific rules for "drones". How often do you need to have the transponder or altitude encoder inspected on your "drone"? Hmmmm?

But, you really do need to learn the difference between "defiantly" and "definitely". Words mean things.

I hold real FAA pilot certificates, and I also own a Typhoon H+. My point is that I resent all the hubris here where owners of "drones" talk about being "pilots". The equivalency doesn't exit.

Your arrogance is stupifying... calling someone out for "defiantly" and "definitely" and in your next post doing the same with "exit" and "exist"... it's a stealth typo... one that everyone does and it won't show up in a spellcheck, since they are all valid words.

The fact is I completely understand the mindset of separation between piloting any full size aircraft that is carrying you, as opposed to flying a drone... much to my regret. I have always been bitten by the flying bug, but many of my explorations in various options were out of my reach, financially. Looked into helicopter pilot training, but the cost for 200 hours of flight time for a commercial license was not, going to happen at that time in my life... still shocked, when I learned that an amateur heli license was only 15 hours. o_O Tried Powered Paragliding, but couldn't afford the additional level of cost to invest in the motor.

And all that time, not giving any consideration to RC because... that's right, they were toys... but if I had not had that preconceived perception, I would have at least 10-15 more years experience at these unmanned aircraft, and would likely be making a pretty decent living commercially. But instead I wasted many years in a dead-end job, that I recently left. So naturally, I'm a bit hyper-cognizant of the "would've / could've" thing right now.

And all that time, not giving any consideration to RC because... that's right, they were toys... but if I had not had that preconceived perception, I would have at least 10-15 more years experience at these unmanned aircraft, and would likely be making a pretty decent living commercially. But instead I wasted many years in a dead-end job, that I recently left. So naturally, I'm a bit hyper-cognizant of the "would've / could've" thing right now.

I spent somewhere close to $60k towards a career in aviation. Over the years likely at least that in RC aviation... At the time I was raising a family on a carpenter's income the "addiction" put a tremendous amount of stress on family finances and caused considerable tension with the wife.. Got all the way through passing the B727 FEX written when the bottom fell out of pilot salaries, with many career commercial pilots seeing their retirement pensions being bankrupted by airline mergers, bankruptcies, and pure corporate greed. The prospect of a six figure salary went from being fairly assured after a couple years in the front seats to being iffy after 5+ years in the left seat. Entry level pilot salaries fell to a level where you were qualified for Food stamps and housing assistance while being fully employed as a pilot. Working as a flight instructor to build hours was like holding out a tin cup and a quick way to starve to death. Fortunately I had discovered RC aviation well before getting into full scale, which enabled a fairly easy (at the time) entry to military grade UAV operations. Admittedly, having the full scale tickets aided that transition but the modeling experience is what provided the interest from employers. Giant scale fixed wing RC experience was the primary qualifier. Starting salaries were double to quadruple what air carriers were (and currently are) offering entry level commercial pilots, and rose rapidly as experience was obtained. The field has changed since then with the expansion of military personnel training so it's extremely difficult now for a civilian without a military history to access similar employment. It's pretty much mandatory that anyone going that route has an established security clearance and the only way to obtain one is to have been associated with an organization/agency/or DoD contractor that sponsored them. People can't just run out and apply for a security clearance, and the process is quite expensive even if they could. It’s nice to have accomplished becoming a full scale pilot but there are better and easier ways to make a good living, and no reason to be aloof simply because I became a “pilot”. Anyone with the money, dedication, and a little intelligence can become one.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
It’s nice to have accomplished becoming a full scale pilot but there are better and easier ways to make a good living, and no reason to be aloof simply because I became a “pilot”. Anyone with the money, dedication, and a little intelligence can become one.

Good for you - quite a resume'.

But I don't get the connection here.

Perhaps I was being obtuse. Once upon a time I would look in a mirror and congratulated myself on my “superior” accomplishments while viewing others as being less than I. Similar to how you view yourself. Some events caused me to take a better look at myself to see I am no different than anyone else, but have knowledge and skills that can be used to help others expand their horizons and personal potential.

Try stepping out of that mold and use what you have worked so hard to learn to help people understand the principles of flight, the rules that help keep people safe while flying, how to better incorporate unmanned flight with manned, and promote aviation at every level. Help teach them to think and act like pilots. Although not at full scale caliber, that’s what they, and we, are when we fly model aircraft.

What if you were to film inside of a large building? What if for some reason your GPS fails? The whole point of having "pilot skills" is to be able to fly the aircraft - when necessary It doesn't mean you can't utilize all of the automated features of these systems, to the contrary; its basically a means to provide an extra layer of insurance against failure of these systems if/when they happen, and they will. There is a saying; "its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". Think of it as a free insurance policy. The pages of forums like this one are filled with the not-so-happy-ending exploits of those who have relied solely the aircraft working 100% as advertised only to find it failed to deliver "as advertised". We're at the controls of an aircraft so; acting like a pilot IS admirable to a lot of operators. :)
VERY well said!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diagram overseer