Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can the lights be deactivated?

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn the marker lights off? I know the leds draw next to nothing
But i would like to turn them off some time.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Who knows, but I doubt they will do that.

I agree with you ray ray,why would they enable this? It's asking for trouble,why would they let people fly at night with no lights (trust me someone would try it) it would only end of way.

Reactions: Rayray
You really cant technically fly at night now anyways so who cares if we are able to turn off the lights

Correct me experts if I am wrong but I believe that the recreational use of these small UAV's are NOT prohibited at night. Only commercial operations are not allowed night flight. BTW, We do it all the time at our flying field and have for years.

Correct me experts if I am wrong but I believe that the recreational use of these small UAV's are NOT prohibited at night. Only commercial operations are not allowed night flight. BTW, We do it all the time at our flying field and have for years.
I think you may be right on that. I think the FAA recommends not flying after sunset but I do not think it is a hard fast rule. This is for hobbyist not commercial.
Still if we are taking about night flying why do you want to turn the lights off? Lets be safe about it and not cause more bad press for drones, we have enough stupid people already doing that.

Slap a thermal camera on, add some goggles, turn down the lights and do some recon. lol. Disaster for most for sure. I enjoy the occasional night flight, hopefully I don't get arrested but I'll chance it.

Reactions: Brent D

Doing it for years...True.

However, FAA Part 107 rules are new, just now taking effect, and they apply to all drones with takeoff weight from 5.5 lbs to 55 lbs, commercial or not, without an FAA waiver. Night being the time later than 30 minutes after sunset and prior to 30 minutes before sunrise. As a practical matter, I imagine only AFTER an serious incident might they get involved.

I'm not an expert. Feel free to correct me.

I just went to the FAA website. The list for Recreational flight DOES NOT prohibit night flight. The list for Business does prohibit it. So if I am on my flying field with a lit up model,Drone,UAV,sUAS under 55 lbs. Put it in your pocket in case the po po come for ya. BTW, AMA says the 400 ft rule does not apply if you can SEE your model without aid AND the FAA says follow the AMA rules. Lotta **** flying around the internet. Here is what AMA says about night flight.
RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with
a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all
times. Hand-held illumination
systems are inadequate for night flying operations.

My references are at the bottom of this.

AND I ain't know xpert either. **** I don't even know how long a gram is.

Rec list Summary
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
    Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).
================================================================
Biz List - Summary
  • Must fly under 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if flying at an altitude higher than 400 feet AGL, stay within 400 feet of a structure
  • Must keep the UAS in sight (i.e. visual line of sight), either by the remote pilot in command or a visual observer*
  • Must fly during daylight hours* or civil twilight hours (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting
  • Must fly at or below 100 mph*
  • Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
  • Must not fly over people*
  • Must not fly from a moving vehicle unless you are in a sparsely populated area*
=======================
Know Before You Fly
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

I fly at night, but have added a red strobe to the top of my H.
No airports around me, but do have a few ultralights and paragliders that occasionally fly around at night.
I want to make sure I can be seen.
Worse fear is day time when the A-10's fly over at 100 feet. Been so tempted to paint a big target on my roof.

So as not to start a flame war, AMA says no flights over 400 ft within three miles of any airport without contacting the tower first.

RAY RAY Just to be thorough 107 DOES NOT APPLY to Recreational use of drones. This also directly from FAA. HOWEVER, does not mean you will not get a jackass who thinks he knows the rules trying to confiscate your drone. Be careful out there.

oes the new Small UAS Rule (part 107) apply to recreational UAS operations?
Part 107 does not apply to UAS flown strictly for fun (hobby or recreational purposes) as long as these unmanned aircraft are flown in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of P.L. 112-95). Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational UAS operations. The small UAS rule codifies the provisions of section 336 in part 101 of the FAA's regulations, which will prohibit operating a UAS in manner that endangers the safety of the National Airspace System.

you only can put it off manual...open the plastic cap and put cable off the lights

All great info, i really appreciate all the feedback, i live on the lake and flying down the shoreline at night is great fun.

Thanks

led switch is with new firmware :)

led.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Mackey
RAY RAY Just to be thorough 107 DOES NOT APPLY to Recreational use of drones. This also directly from FAA. HOWEVER, does not mean you will not get a jackass who thinks he knows the rules trying to confiscate your drone. Be careful out there.

There you go, I proved I was no expert, lol. Thanks for correcting my wrong answer. Looks like Congress pre-empted the FAA years ago. Great. I suppose you can have 2 drones, one registered as commercial and the other hobby.
Thanks.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
RayRay, No worries. The amount if inaccurate information on the boards is staggering. I just happen to be studying for the certification and all that is front of brain. Couple of months ago I knew nothing and of that most of it was wrong. Within a year, I will have forgotten all of it. The real scary stuff is that there are going to be cronies hired at the FAA to enforce this stuff that have no clue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval